Brake Light Flashing and 3 beeps at start

studhilo

TDI
2010 Golf 2.0
I have a golf TDi with 1700 miles. It has MT. Today the brake light started flashing. It stays flashing, while driving. The car also beeps three times at start up. This just started today. It is the warmest day of the year so far, about 107, not sure if this has anything to do with it.

What does this mean? Also, is it safe to drive over the weekend until I can get into the dealer?

Thanks for you help.

Russ in Arizona

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
You will have to be a little more specific as there are several different brake warnings. First check your parking brake is fully released. If the parking brake lever is slighty applied. It will give you the "BRAKE" or(!) warning light and the chime will sound when you drive about 4 mph.

With a brake malfunction you should get the same as above and a warning message in the MFD

Look in your owners manual for a better discription.

Dweisel

Last edited:

studhilo

TDI
2010 Golf 2.0
More detail: The light with the word BRAKE flashes and there are 3 beeps. This happens a few seconds after starting to drive. The light continues to flash while driving.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Brake fluid level low? There is a level sensor in the reservoir that turns on the same light as the e-brake.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
studhilo said:
Yes, I checked it. Seemed OK. Tried parking brake, seems to work. Regular brakes seem normal.
Another thing to check: Are your DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) on? Normally the DRLs turn themselves off when you pull up the parking brake lever. See if they go on and off when you pull up and down the lever - this might tell you if the parking brake switch is not working.

Have Fun!

Don

studhilo

TDI
2010 Golf 2.0
Problem solved - bit of a surprise

Thanks for the advice to check the Brake fluid. I checked it today and there was a bit of a shocker - The cap of the plastic container that holds the brake fluid was off. Not just loose, but off. I admit, I never checked this when I bought the car about two months ago, assuming that a new VW came with such caps tightly in place. Once I replaced it, the light Brake light no longer flashed.

usernamehere

TDI
06 Jetta
Another thing to check: Are your DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) on? Normally the DRLs turn themselves off when you pull up the parking brake lever. See if they go on and off when you pull up and down the lever - this might tell you if the parking brake switch is not working.

Have Fun!

Don

Thanks, That must be it, I have one headlight on if I leave the lights on and turn it off. Plus I have the flashing brake light.

TJ01TDI

TDI
'00 Jetta 330K km, '01 Jetta 510K km
I know old thread, but I just had a similar issue.
ABS on solid, park brake light flashing and beeps, and no A/C.
Solution: connector on back of fuse pack on top of battery had come loose.