Trustworthy Mechanic Seattle Area

jettabonz

Need to find a good mechanic to do a 90k timing belt replacement. Anyone know of one in the Bellevue/Eastside area of Seattle?
The dealer quoted me $538 parts and labor. I read in some posts that this should only cost $250 P&L.
Thanks,

Rustynuts

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta 2.0ltr Sport TDI
The price you give says that something isn't right. I've heard quotes of around $1000 for a full dealer job, including timing belt, rollers and tensioner. The water pump will also be a good idea while you have all the related gear out of the way.

Just to give you an idea, Dieselgeek do a complete timing belt kit for your car, priced at $340. inc shipping.

I don't think the dealer is going to give you the 7 hours labour they generally require to do the job for a couple of hundred $$$.

Dieselgeek kit

mobe

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
$538 sounds too cheap really, especially at a dealer. I doubt all that Rustynuts mentioned is included. I've heard nothing but praise for DieselGeek's timing belt kit.

Here is an old thread about TB changes in the Seattle/Tacoma area.
Good Luck!

Rustynuts

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta 2.0ltr Sport TDI
Oh, one more thing. Cheap jobs on a timing belt will end up being expensive engine rebuilds!
If the tensioner, rollers or waterpump give up before the next due TB change it's gonna cost you a new engine. Factor in the cost of a hire car, the inconvenience of being stranded, and the probability of trying to get the dealer to admit they didn't do the full job as per manufacturers recommendations, and the extra spent now will be the real "cheap bit".

Far better to pay someone who knows what they're doing than let an incompetent mechanic practice on your car.

Keep looking for a TDI Club member in your area.