2002 jetta transmission trouble 01m

slick2_99mg

TDI
2002 vw jetta tdi
i have a 2002 vw jetta tdi, the transmission has been giving me trouble for a while now and i'll post problems and what i have done so far.....I heard a pop when slowing down one day, so i changed the diff, because of alot of play and also tore tranny apart and found the needle bearing in the planitary set was broke and took ot the planitairy gear....I replased that full set with a used one from a local tranny shop for a good price, after that the transmission ran great but then it started losing just drive put it in third and car would shift perfect. then if you shut car off and restarted it it would return to driving normal....so i went and bought a reman valve body with all the new updates and bigger valve( my old vb had been damaged do to metal getting into it...now to get to finail problem....i put the car in to drive nothing but put it into 3ed and back to drive will have drive for a few sec and when it goes to shift car goes to nutreal but if i put the shifter inbetween 3 and 4th so 4th shows on dash but 3ed shows on shifter car runs like there is no problems at all....i do have vag-com and no codes show...the only thing i havent changed is the brass cable for transmission but not sure that is the problem any help would be nice...this is my first post and been an aviad reader of post...

slick2_99mg

TDI
2002 vw jetta tdi
forgot to mention that inorder to get it in reverse i need to push the lever twords park and to get it in drive need to have it closer to third so the space between r and d needs to be les or there is some presure issue with that drive channel of the vb...

Strykeviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed swap, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Passat SEL, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
forgot to mention that inorder to get it in reverse i need to push the lever twords park and to get it in drive need to have it closer to third so the space between r and d needs to be les or there is some presure issue with that drive channel of the vb...
I agree with Oilhammer if that is the case. It sounds like the selector cable may be out of adjustment.

slick2_99mg

TDI
2002 vw jetta tdi
took off pan and set the manual valve in vb now i have no forward gearss in 4th at all but second i put into third car takes off no problem...

slick2_99mg

TDI
2002 vw jetta tdi
ok after reading alot of post about this transmission i will clarifie a little better on my problem......in P the car is in park, N the car is in neutral D the car acts as it is in NEUTRAL 3 shifts through gears verified with vag com.... 2 has first second 1 has first now to the odd part if i shift from park to 1st then put it in D ill have drive till it goes to shift to second then goes back to being like its in neutral back in third it takes off ... to me it seams like a internal or presure issiue or could the issue be in my trans controler vb is new.....before i replaced the vb it would have d till car warmed up then would lose d till ignition was cycled had some codes but cleared when put in new vb

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
You know you are really getting into a real bucket of worms and a potential money pit with that 01M. Having 3 cars with the 01M myself I found that rather than fooling with this headache that the best and cheapest way was to go manual trans swap and never look back. I have done 2 of the 3 so far. If you can't resolve it easily you might follow the path many of us have done and do a swap. It's rather a pain to do but when its finished, it makes the car almost euphoric to drive, especially when you put in a 6 speed. The best part for me was the 8 mpg increase I realized with the manual.

Good luck on getting the 01M fixed.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
ok after reading alot of post about this transmission i will clarifie a little better on my problem......in P the car is in park, N the car is in neutral D the car acts as it is in NEUTRAL 3 shifts through gears verified with vag com.... 2 has first second 1 has first now to the odd part if i shift from park to 1st then put it in D ill have drive till it goes to shift to second then goes back to being like its in neutral back in third it takes off ... to me it seams like a internal or presure issiue or could the issue be in my trans controler vb is new.....before i replaced the vb it would have d till car warmed up then would lose d till ignition was cycled had some codes but cleared when put in new vb
This paragraph is very confusing.. starts off good and clear, but then looses puctuation and capitalization and I cant understand.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
update...now i lost all gears forward and reverse time to pull againg and see what i find this time...
Ignore my last post.... I was reading through post by post, and didn't see this one till now.

This is why some on this forum say to not rebuild the 01m yourself. Some even say it cant be rebuilt, which isnt true but speaks to how difficult they are.

slick2_99mg

TDI
2002 vw jetta tdi
yeah i used the one that was on your site i believe coolair... and as far as the manual i would but my wife hates driving manual (manual is all i used to drive) and cool air do you know where i could find a air check plate for the transmission....cool air....the first time i took out the transmissions the problem i found was exactly like the problem you found on the transmission in your "how to diagnose your o1m" expect my reverse piston was good as i had no problem with reverse....then slowly the lost drive when car got warm but now im at the poit of having to pull it out again and will be doing that later today....is it possable my pump went out???

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Everything--anything is possible.

But if you "lost drive" I assume that means you still have reverse? Reverse needs pressure from the pump just like forward does. Actually reverse pressure is higher. A pressure gauge would tell you something.

If your saying this....
yeah i used the one that was on your site i believe coolair...
regarding this question from me...

What technique/process are you using to "set the manual valve"?
I dont have this process/technique published on my website. So I guess I'll ask again.... How did you "set the manual valve?

Last edited:

slick2_99mg

TDI
2002 vw jetta tdi
after dropping the pan and seeing the screw for the MV all the way out and disconected i re installed it and at first i pushed the valve in all the way then i took the black sheet metal adjuster the backside and seen the valve went in a nother 1/4 inch from the last time i set it, long story short the manual valve wasnt set correct .. now it is and the transmission runs like new......for anyone tackling this trans make sure you take your time and double check your self if i would have it would have saved me alot of headaches and also could have save a few dollars...lesson learned..thanks for all your help...now that i bought a new truck growing family car is getting sold....

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
All the forward gears working ok? If you drive forward to about 20 mph then throw it into manual low does it "engine brake"? Meaning cars forward momentum pushes engine rpms up, and car slows?

Major fail

Last edited:

slick2_99mg

TDI
2002 vw jetta tdi
yes it does the forward gears work 100% the last time car had reverse it took a sec to go in and it all of a sudden just droped out and to your question yes it engine brakes and also down shifts like it always did when slowing down in drive...

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
possibly the checkball "blew out" of the reverse input drum. (later edit: Since he later posted that he does not have engine braking in manual low my statement here does not apply)

Last edited:

slick2_99mg

TDI
2002 vw jetta tdi
ok sorry i was incorrect... today i took car out and did what you said and no there was no engine braking in first gear...

slick2_99mg

TDI
2002 vw jetta tdi
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/mm5/graphics/Catalog-pdf/VW-095.pdf

now in the "breakdown" of the transmission the part number listed as 852 the wave plate i dont have that i have a some thing that kinda looks like a spring loaded thing...do you know where i can find a new one my part supplier cant get one i feel you know what im talking about...the piston pushes it in to the Intermediate Clutch....

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
ok sorry i was incorrect... today i took car out and did what you said and no there was no engine braking in first gear...
The B1 clutch (B1 brake is same thing, or trans shop might call it a Low and reverse clutch) is on in reverse and also makes the engine braking in manual low. You could have the lip seal broken on the B1 piston, or the lug broken off the B1 housing or other issues. Either way it needs to be removed to be fixed and should probably be rebuilt or replaced.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/mm5/graphics/Catalog-pdf/VW-095.pdf

now in the "breakdown" of the transmission the part number listed as 852 the wave plate i dont have that i have a some thing that kinda looks like a spring loaded thing...do you know where i can find a new one my part supplier cant get one i feel you know what im talking about...the piston pushes it in to the Intermediate Clutch....
You took the trans out? And you think your missing a part? Your sentance above is a "run on" making it difficult to understand.

The wave plate should be there. But... it may have been rebuilt at some point and someone may have modified it and left it out. Since this is in the intermediate clutch and your problem is the the B1 then you should ignore it.

That diagram will not match your trans, because they maker of the diagram made it to apply to 01m and 096 and it covers all phases of redesigns. There are major differences between those redesigns, and there's no way they could picture every difference.

slick2_99mg

TDI
2002 vw jetta tdi
"The wave plate should be there. But... it may have been rebuilt at some point and someone may have modified it and left it out. Since this is in the intermediate clutch and your problem is the the B1 then you should ignore it." quote from coolairVW

i dont have the wave plate i have asome sort of spring thing thats flat on one side and open on the other with some type of spring thing on the inside of it.... in the next week i ll be pulling out the trans out of the car again and will get a pic of the peice...the other problem is like the trans shift jerk shifts between 1st and second when rpm is around 3000 ....around 2000 its ok and over 3300 it shifts smooth.........

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
i dont have the wave plate i have asome sort of spring thing thats flat on one side and open on the other with some type of spring thing on the inside of it.... in the next week i ll be pulling out the trans out of the car again and will get a pic of the peice...the other problem is like the trans shift jerk shifts between 1st and second when rpm is around 3000 ....around 2000 its ok and over 3300 it shifts smooth.........
I dont understand what your saying. Please use sentences.

So you left a part out when you rebuilt it previously????

slick2_99mg

TDI
2002 vw jetta tdi
no i didnt skip putting any parts in the transmission....i'm taking the trans out tomorrow and will post a picture of the part im talking about. to me it seams the wave plate is incased in a piece of metal that is in a "u" shape.