BlueImpact's 2012 Golf TDI to GTD Conversion Thread.

blueimpact

TDI
2012 MK6 Golf TDI
Hi All,

Just got a 2012 TDI & really looking forward to converting this into a GTD. Posting here to track my progress.

So far, working on the back end with a new diffuser & exhaust:

Before

After

Last edited:

blueimpact

TDI
2012 MK6 Golf TDI
Man, that rear diffuser looks amazing.

Know if it fits on a GSW too?
Hey, thanks PRY4SNO! Unfortunately I don't think it fits on the sportswagen.

Check out OnePerfectDose - they might have the answer for you. That's the bumper I picked up for the MK6.

Hoping I can get this painted gloss black soon. Would look UNREAL on the GSW. I know they have options if you look around.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Way better options to spruce up the Golf because of the GTI and Golf R. When I had my GTI I did the LED tail lights and thought they looked great.

blueimpact

TDI
2012 MK6 Golf TDI
Bought some Rokblokz mud flaps for this baby. Unfortunately, someone over-torqued one lug and couldnt get my back right tire off.

Running with three flaps LOL! PS - super difficult to install but I'm assuming it's because of the cold weather we are having.

I will post an updated picture - but if you look closely I only have three! Plus wanted a shot of the rear at night.

blueimpact

TDI
2012 MK6 Golf TDI
Nice progress!

Interested in more info on the headlights...

Thanks man!

What would you like to know? I had to adjust the beams but that takes two seconds - the unfortunately part is this is not an HID conversion.

I put philips diamondwhites in as the H7 bulb. Head on, the DRL's are brighter than the actual bulb.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
They aren't HID's? They look like them. I have Golf R HID's waiting to go on my wagon, but I'm scared about trying to actually code them to work. Plus its too cold for me to think about now so its probably a spring project.

blueimpact

TDI
2012 MK6 Golf TDI
They aren't HID's? They look like them. I have Golf R HID's waiting to go on my wagon, but I'm scared about trying to actually code them to work. Plus its too cold for me to think about now so its probably a spring project.

The daytime running lights are LEDs. Projectors are h7 halogen bulbs.

They were plug and play. So no codes. BUT coding isn’t hard don’t worry about that there are great instructions online. Or bring it to a shop if you’re worried.

Sidenote. Idk if it’s just me but the bulbs in my projectors are SO DIM compared to my DRLs. I wonder if I need to fix the projection of them - might be aimed low?

When I. Bend down and look at the light they become bright. But I tried to adjust the beam and I feel like it’s at a reasonable level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline

blueimpact

TDI
2012 MK6 Golf TDI
If they're projector housings, why not install an HID kit? In fact, are the stock halogen housings reflectors, or projectors?

Here's a good link for aiming them properly:
https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/mk6-vw-headlight-aiming/

Living out in the country, the winter conditions really drive home how badly we need a lighting upgrade. I'm leaning toward something like this:
https://www.urotuning.com/R-Style-LED-Projector-Headlights-w-Black-Housing-p/hvwg6hl-rb.htm

Thanks for the help! Will get on that right away.

I LOVE the black housing. Kinda hate how I didn't wait to buy that instead.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Cool. I hope you get around to some performance upgrades. You don't want to be all show and no go.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Thanks for the help! Will get on that right away.
I LOVE the black housing. Kinda hate how I didn't wait to buy that instead.
Happy to help, not to mention I get to live vicariously through your updates :p

Any reason you're not running an HID kit for the low beams? Seems like you have projector housings, so they would have the proper beam pattern. And, not to mention, be guaranteed to be brighter than the LED DRLs. ha

blueimpact

TDI
2012 MK6 Golf TDI
Happy to help, not to mention I get to live vicariously through your updates :p

Any reason you're not running an HID kit for the low beams? Seems like you have projector housings, so they would have the proper beam pattern. And, not to mention, be guaranteed to be brighter than the LED DRLs. ha

That’s my next move for sure. Waiting to order bumper. Once I have that painted and read to go, I’ll remove the headlights again and put a kit :)

Last edited:

blueimpact

TDI
2012 MK6 Golf TDI
Hey all, new update. Installed the rear boot of a totaled GTI and threw on the GTD emblem.

I kinda installed the emblem a bit tight to the top, so my OCD is kicking in. Not worth the reinstallation though - thoughts?

Up next are tints on Monday...finally.

Last edited:

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 VW Jetta GLS TDI; 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Looking good! If I knew about the GTD earlier, I might have considered doing the same conversion to my JSW TDI. The GTD badges are expensive though! I ended up going badgeless with the exception of a big red Turbo Diesel badge on the trunk :D

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
Finished the mud flaps & added the grille!

Waiting for delivery of the gtd trunk emblem.

Do you know if the mounting holes for the mud guards are the same for your Golf compared to a 2011 JSW?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Looks pretty sharp. I think debadged and deflapped would be an even cleaner look.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
So you are doing just the visual mods?