Looking for Mk4 ALH/BEW mechanic in the Seattle area.

Brian O'Dell

TDI
2005 GLS Wagon 5spd
Hi,

Anyone have a recommendation for a mechanic who would be familiar with running Bio (most likely B99) in and ALH/BEW Mk4 Jetta?

Thanks

TDI-ed

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf and Audi A4 AWD TDI
Not many going to be b99 advocates, by Zahn Tech in Redmond is great for TDis

Brian O'Dell

TDI
2005 GLS Wagon 5spd
Not many going to be b99 advocates, by Zahn Tech in Redmond is great for TDis
Would it matter if it wasn't B99? I'm trying to do my research here and everyone seems to be stingy on the information. I just want to be honest with the mechanic and I imagine occasionally I'll run B99.

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
Give Matt at Zahn Tech in Redmond a call . Been supporting the greater TDI community and their cars very well, for years.

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
I have run high percentage bio in my 01 Jetta most of the time. From what I understand the downsides are leakage from seals breaking down prematurely, degradation of fuel lines and clogging of fuel filters as it "cleans out" an engine that has run dino diesel.
Also be prepared for gelling at low temperatures which may leave you stranded (don't ask me how I know this) and lower mpgs due to lower cetane ratings.
So you may have more repairs and lower performance.
But the exhaust smells good!

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
I will add that I am a big biodiesel advocate, specifically from Sequential in Oregon. They are local, use wvo from the Kettle Chip factory and have high standards for their product. I will drive out of my way to fill up with Sequential bio and their fueling station in Eugene is a must stop if I travel south on I-5.
That being said, I have no illusions about the downside of bio and don't intend to use anything over B20 max in my new to me 2015 Golf Sportwagen.

bugget

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI GLS 2000
In the ALH/BEW cars you really just need to make sure that your seals are good and that any replacements are viton (they all should be) and also watch out for crap in your fuel filter. If the previous owner wasn't using bio you may well get some sludge showing up in the filter. Matthew at ZahnTech knows all about this.

logos

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI 5A. Previous car: 2001 Golf, 5spd
Dr. Dan's biodiesel in Seattle would probably be very familiar with any issues you're having due to biodiesel use. I've never brought a car to them though, so I can't really offer an opinion on their mechanical work or their advice.

bugget

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI GLS 2000
I love Dan and I took my car to him all the time actually. I have recommended him before as his work is good. It is just him though (or at least it was last I was there) so whenever I recommend him I usually have to set the expectation that he may not be able to turn the car around right away. Definitely a good option though if a person can wait on the car.

AK islandr

TDI
Silver 03 GLS 5 spd wagon
I do not know their reputation on VW repairs but Han's Foreign Car sells biodiesel in West Seattle. If I am in Portland OR at Fix Um Haus I buy b99 nearby at Star Oil in Portland or Sequential Fuels in Eugene OR.