The 2009 Volkswagen Jetta--Another Review

TechWorlds

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Reading the review it was easy to see that the reviewer was not a diesel guy.

But his only major complaint was a bit of smelly fuel on his hands and feet when he pumped his fuel at the service station. :D

Link here

nykayaker

TDI
2009 Sportwagen
Not a bad review overall. But it is a bit dispiriting to see in a new car review that the cars are basically sold out and unavailable for another 3 or 4 months! I mean, I thought that kind of unavailability only happened to latest hot kids' toys around Christmas!

Tahna Los

TDI
None
From the review by Scott Burgess:

Pros: High mileage at an affordable price.

Cons: Misconceptions surrounding diesel vehicles will annoy you during dinner parties.

nykayaker

TDI
2009 Sportwagen
Tahna Los said:
From the review by Scott Burgess:

Pros: High mileage at an affordable price.

Cons: Misconceptions surrounding diesel vehicles will annoy you during dinner parties.
Be honest - there isn't a TDI-geek on this website who wouldn't love an opportunity to set all those dinner party-goers straight!

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Well said... my brother-in-law, the moocher extraordinaire, always gives me hell about driving a diesel car. :confused: I just laugh in his face at his mooching ability and also his very unevenly painted, lowered, and riced Civic... I guess I'll just have to deal with driving a "crappy diesel"... :rolleyes::D

nykayaker said:
Be honest - there isn't a TDI-geek on this website who wouldn't love an opportunity to set all those dinner party-goers straight!

eft

TDI
2009 TDI
I've made people's eyes cross on many occassions.:p

MrPolak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 New Beetle TDI
Me: Yeah, it's a diesel.
Them: Woa, this is not a good time to drive a diesel. Look at those prices!
Me: I get 45 mpg in Atlanta traffic. What do you get?
Them: I go about 5 days on a tank of gas.
Me: Typical answer. You don't have a clue, do you? Even at this ridiculous $1.10 gas price spread your car would have to get 32mpg under the same driving conditions to cost the same in fuel, but it doesn't, so I still spend less.
Them: (.......)
Me: <thinking> no wonder I don't have any friends.

Last edited:

ezlazer

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2009 Jetta TDI, 2010 Jetta TDI, 05 Ultra Classic Harley 2007 Acura RL
2009 TDI Jetta, regular gas $3.39 per gallon, Diesel $3.14 per gallon and falling. I have had my car almost 3 weeks and it has 2030 miles on it already. Its a no brainer, but I still have my 23 mpg "96" Volvo 850R. I live near San Francisco and there are alot of hills and stop and go. Can't wait to go on a road trip.

schumacher62

TDI
2003 wagon, 2009 sedan
ezlazer said:
2009 TDI Jetta, regular gas $3.39 per gallon, Diesel $3.14 per gallon and falling. I have had my car almost 3 weeks and it has 2030 miles on it already. Its a no brainer, but I still have my 23 mpg "96" Volvo 850R. I live near San Francisco and there are alot of hills and stop and go. Can't wait to go on a road trip.
hm. i too just got a 2009 sedan, to compliment my 2004 S60R. maybe one day ill be able to have a tdi (my second, i also have an 03 wagon) with the security all wheel drive on the volvo affords me.

have you had any service, or changed the oil yet?

TDI
2009 JSW
Strange thread coincidence. We're getting an '09 JSW TDI that will sit aside our '06 S60R. One is completely sensible, the other . . . well sort of sensible.

The_Warden

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6 speed (fixed), 2001 Jetta GLS TDI 5 speed
ezlazer said:
Sorry to hijack, but where are you paying $3.14 for diesel? BTW nice to see another Pacifica resident! I wonder what TDI economy's like climbing up Highway 1 or Sharp Park Road every day...

Gkopp

TDI
09 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG)
Diesel is $3.29 here in central Illinois and coming down. Have almost 6,000 miles on 09 Jetta TDI sedan with DSG, averaging 43 mpg overall. On board computer is a little optimistic, but close. Really enjoying this car. Plenty of power and no troubles so far. the DSG is so smooth, you cannot feel it change gears like other AT's.

ezlazer

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2009 Jetta TDI, 2010 Jetta TDI, 05 Ultra Classic Harley 2007 Acura RL
Dodgers fan in Pacifica?

Go to S.S.F. @ Hickey and ECR Cheveron station next to Carls jr. Lots of people getting fuel there so best to go in the morrning or late night. $3.15 (sorry I was a penny off) today. I live in the back of Linda Mar. My DSG is kinda like driving a stick without the clutch. Sometimes when I back up on a hill it gets a little jerky like the clutch is slipping. I average about 35 mpg driving around the hills and city, out on 280 it gets 40+ if I stay below 70 mph.

Last edited:

vtyankee

TDI
2006.5 Jetta Package 1 Campanella White
nykayaker said:
Not a bad review overall. But it is a bit dispiriting to see in a new car review that the cars are basically sold out and unavailable for another 3 or 4 months! I mean, I thought that kind of unavailability only happened to latest hot kids' toys around Christmas!
If you want one there are three available in Keene, NH at Noyes Volkswagen for MSRP. :)

BOSTON-VW

TDI
2009 TDI Salsa Red Sport Package & Moonroof
The_Warden said:
Sorry to hijack, but where are you paying $3.14 for diesel? BTW nice to see another Pacifica resident! I wonder what TDI economy's like climbing up Highway 1 or Sharp Park Road every day...
I'm paying $3.15 in Gloucester, MA. (Citgo Diesel), but you can score 87 gas for $2.45. It's usually always $0.60+ more for diesel in Mass. regardless of the prices (up or down)

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Yea, the guy who wrote the article is an up-town guy who does not get out and get dirty, but is a member of the country club.

As for diesel prices, I paid $3.199 last night to fill up my Super Duty.

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
The smell of diesel has evolved over the last few years; ULSD was an improvement, and anything greater than B5 also cuts down the odor.

bum944

TDI
Jetta Sportwagon
For the past 4 months or so that I've been noticing, diesel here in the San Diego area has been about $0.25~$0.50 more than premium. But now it is the same as mid-octane gasoline which is closer to what it should be long term.

angelman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sportswagon tdi
disel at 3.09 in north hollywood!

Iyesterday I was just driving to my inlaws after doing the paperwork for my tdi wagon (picking it up today) and saw that diesel there is the same if not less than RUG! Lowest I found it was 3.09! It's weird because other gas stations in other areas have it at .50 cents more then premium. I don't understand how gas stations set their prices. Either way diesel seems to have come down a lot in price, at least in North Hollywood here in LA.

bum944 said:
For the past 4 months or so that I've been noticing, diesel here in the San Diego area has been about $0.25~$0.50 more than premium. But now it is the same as mid-octane gasoline which is closer to what it should be long term.

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Regular unleaded in Chaska, MN is around $2.26, so there is a $0.90 spread. I bought my Ford 3 weeks before fuel started climbing last Sept. I just hope that with the winter blend up here and the cold weather I can keep the MPGs above 30, or my wife will kill me for trading off her 08 Frontier, which she really liked, to save on MPGs. Oh how I hope...

jayhawkcruiser

TDI
None
2009 TDI Sportwagon

I posted this in another spot, but fyi..

Hi everyone,

I purchased a new TDI Sportwagon Black on Black (Automatic) and I have mixed feelings. It has the mud flaps/floor mats and Alloys, but I think that's it.

1) Fun to drive
2) Tons of Power
3) Nice Controls and easy to use
4) In town mpg high 20's
5) Highway mpg high 30's

It seems to hover around 28-30 in town and 35-45 on the highway. My wife mainly drives it in town, but if the mpg does not improve with time, I will likely make it my road car and buy her the 2010 Prius when it comes out.

BTW.. I have rented a 2009 Ford Focus about 5 times in the past few months, one has 10,000 miles and the other has 32,000 miles and they get 33-36 all day long. Loaded they cost $20,000 and you can buy a pretty nice one for $15,000

I am not super disapointed with the car, but I have to admit that I bought into the BS about the EPA numbers being weak. Unfortunately, they are looking pretty good. I would love to hear how to get better mpg. There is no way the standard trans helps more that 1-2 mpg.

I did not think that the wagon would be too different from the sedan????

BTW...in KS the price difference is still $0.60-$1.00/gallon higher

Thanks
Craig in KS

colt

TDI
None - Yet!
Hey Bum944, I live in San Diego and I am considering getting a Jetta TDI. Two questions for you:

1. How much of a hassle is it for you to find diesel in San Diego?
2. What kind of mileage are you getting?

Thanks in advance.

thewhey

- my last diesel was a 1980 rabbit which i put 400,000 miles on... i am paying 2.68 for diesel at a Shell station in Hollywood, Ca
------------------
Bought a new 2009 white TDI Jetta Sportwagen I love it! Have only had it for 8 days-

nochug

TDI
none now :(
i got rid of my 05 s60R in January. The car was great on highways, snow. I loved the car except when i had to make any turns or park it. It had the turning circle of a Denali SUV.

OTOH, the ride was much better than my 09 diesel, the brakes were better, and the interior was better too (not by much, but better). I am happy with my jetta, but the S60R was nice.

vtyankee

TDI
2006.5 Jetta Package 1 Campanella White
colt said:
Hey Bum944, I live in San Diego and I am considering getting a Jetta TDI. Two questions for you:

1. How much of a hassle is it for you to find diesel in San Diego?
2. What kind of mileage are you getting?

Thanks in advance.
I'm not Bum944 but I've traveled all over and I never have had a problem finding fuel. Two out of five stations have it.

QSHIPWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI SPORTWAGEN
vtyankee said:
If you want one there are three available in Keene, NH at Noyes Volkswagen for MSRP. :)
And another at Beranger VW in Rochester NH, Black, Black, No roof, stick, spoiler kit. No interest, but ask for Jimmy, he's a straight up salesman and a professional. www.berangervw.com He's selling me my just produced Sportwagen TDI near the end of November.

Paul Royal

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
ezlazer said:
2009 TDI Jetta, regular gas $3.39 per gallon, Diesel $3.14 per gallon and falling.
Diesel is less than RUG? :eek: In California, no less? Wow. Last summer ULSD here was .10 less, now it's .70-.80 more. I still haven't seen a good explanation for the price disparity. Lowest price here is 3.59.

Back in July when diesel was 5.00 here I was kvetching about paying the same to fuel the plane AND the car... :mad:

ezlazer

TDI
Cheaper than gas

Tonight I paid $3.03 pg in the S.F. area. Just thought I would throw than in.

jvance

Veteran Member
TDI
Gave it back to VW
Cheapest in Albuquerque:

Diesel - $2.78
Gas - $2.32

Well on its way to $1.99 on Election Day.