View Single Post
Old October 13th, 2009, 17:53   #15
sjones

I have a 2009 JSW TDI I purchased at the end of November 2008. I just had the 10K service done and have a little over 11,500 on the odo (I changed the oil and filter myself @ 5K as I felt waiting for VW to do it @ 10K was way too long for a new motor). My driving is about 75/25 city/hwy with very little idling at lights. I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida and the roads are very flat for the most part. I drive about 25 miles round trip to work and back each day. My first tank got me almost 37 mpg, but since then the mileage has gradually decreased to a 33.75 mpg average regardless of how I drive it. Of course, it is still 93 degF outside here and I use the a/c pretty much all the time which I'm sure has an effect. On the highway, I get right @ 40 mpg @ 70 mph but I have gotten 50 mpg @ a steady 55. I seriously doubt the engine has broken in at all since it takes a LONG time to break in running high grade synthetic oil; in fact, I'm a firm believer that you should break a motor in using dino oil and then make the switch. The rings will seat a LOT faster that way. While I would love to see higher mileage, I think this is realistic for the JSW with greater exterior wind drag due partly to greater surface area and the roof rack rails. We'll have to wait and see. I do know the MFD is always WAY overly optimistic, especially in lots of short city trips per tank of fuel.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06666 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 15.12 Kb. compressed to 13.69 Kb. by saving 1.43 Kb. (9.46%)]