09 CR has the sound of a broken motor mount

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Only when its cold, and it started 3 days ago. When I am shifting I hear a noise that sounds like plastic conduit or a motor mount being krimped ONLY when I shift. It happens when the clutch is released (1st to 2nd...letting the clutch out). It goes away when the engine warms up. Is this a common issue with VW or do I need to hang on the fender while my wife drives down the road one cold dark morning? Revving the engine does not duplicate the sound. It really has me wondering because when the torque is removed from the engine (clutch is depressed or foot taken off the accelerator) there is no noise. Its ONLY when torque is applied. The clutch does not feel weak or like its slippling. :confused:

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Okay 40X40 I suppose I deserve a bit of the sh** I yell at other people about. With just thought perhaps this is common...though I hope not. With over 8300 miles on it...stuff can start to settle. I will see if I can figure it out tomorrow.

As for the sound clip...its not loud enough for my phone and I have no video camera.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
CMB430 said:
Okay 40X40 I suppose I deserve a bit of the sh** I yell at other people about. With just thought perhaps this is common...though I hope not. With over 8300 miles on it...stuff can start to settle. I will see if I can figure it out tomorrow.

As for the sound clip...its not loud enough for my phone and I have no video camera.
Well, we can't hear it from here, nor watch the engine as you release the clutch with the park brake engaged. I'd let the service writer take a ride or at least listen... (No .... intended)

Bill

Edited for poor spelling

Last edited:

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Just my opinion but I don't think a broken motor mount would subside when the engine warmed up. Throwout bearing???

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I am going in for my first free service in about 3 weeks. I will have them check it out then...and post the response on here.

Like I said, its wierd because it only does it when the load is being applied, not when it is being removed. And it only happens when its cold. You can not hear it over the radio...the fan and radio must be off.

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
CMB430 said:
I am going in for my first free service in about 3 weeks. I will have them check it out then...and post the response on here.

Like I said, its wierd because it only does it when the load is being applied, not when it is being removed. And it only happens when its cold. You can not hear it over the radio...the fan and radio must be off.
any updates yet?

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
It did not do it over the weekend with our temperatures rising into the 30's in the morning. When I went in for service and they botched the oil change I did not dare let them troubleshoot a problem...it ain't broke so they ain't f***'in it up! Perhaps its something that does not like the cold...on 30MAR I will be working in VA so maybe she will be happy then :)

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
My clutch would make a noise when releasing in really cold weather, say under 10*F. It sounded like it was in the master cylinder, not under the hood.