2.0 BHW questions

DubProblems

TDI
2001 ALH
Wanting to transversely swap a BHW into a mk2, mk3, or mk4. I can do the wiring before anyone asks just need to know which management to use. I do have a couple questions.

Was going to run a MK4 trans, VNT17 i have lying around off a BEW, BEW accessory bracket and accessories, PD150 intake, custom intercooler setup, and BSM delete. I think BEW timing components and I think BEW crank pulley/harmonic balancer? All sound about right?

My question was regarding the management, injectors, and ECU. BHW vs BEW for each? What can I use? Depending on what I use do I expect BEW or BHW power levels? I will be getting it tuned down the road as well. Assuming it would be based off a BEW tune if I end up using the BEW ECU. I am also reading some stuff about the crank, gear, or crank sensor being an issue but I think this was in a thread comparing the BHW to the BRM. Something about the gear being wider or narrower as well?

Appreciate any info you have to offer!

Thank you!

DubProblems

TDI
2001 ALH
For a transverse swap you'll need transverse everything. I don't think the BHW turbo or manifold will work out, you'll need something that tucks in tighter. The oil pan and oil pickup are different, but you'll be deleting the balance module so the pickup will be replaced anyway. You'll need transverse mounts for the chassis you want to use. The transverse pan will be a much better fit. Fuel and coolant hoses as well as the steel pipes will need to be BEW items. I'm sure there are other items.

The engine management will be the easier part. I would go with a BEW harness and ECU with the BHW mapping loaded provided you go with a VNT17 turbo on some kind of transverse friendly manifold. Injectors are much the same but the BHW maps are tuned to take advantage of the VNT-17 turbo (130 vs 100hp).

Actually, why not use a BEW? Cheaper, more common, transverse and no balance module. Power wise, much the same as a BHW if you add a turbo and a tune.
A buddy of mine has a BHW and some BEW part lying around he said he could get me for a good price. It's almost perfect lol. I already have the turbo and trans. Yea I figured use most BEW stuff. Mounts I am not worried about. Pan I am not worried about.

I guess really one of my main issues at this point would be anything to do with the crank that might cause me issues.

To answer your question, I have a BHW available to me and i want that extra .1 liter, duh ;)

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
The end of the BHW crank mounting up to the transverse gearbox is something you should look at before buying anything. Fortunately the BHW will take the needle bearing required for the 012/01E gearboxes. Not sure what the transverse gearboxes require.

DubProblems

TDI
2001 ALH
The end of the BHW crank mounting up to the transverse gearbox is something you should look at before buying anything. Fortunately the BHW will take the needle bearing required for the 012/01E gearboxes. Not sure what the transverse gearboxes require.
Can anyone verify this? The few people I have seen do the swap are unresponsive.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
transverse vw manual boxes do NOT use a pilot bearing

Correct. And if you want to use a BHW, the only thing you'll really be able to "use" is the engine proper (block, pistons, crank, rods, head, cam). Everything else will have to be sourced from a transverse PD like the BEW.

Basically, you'd be making a low compression 2.0L BEW.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
^this The only transmissions which use the pilot bearing are longitudinal as in the 1998 - 05 Passat, Audi A4's etc.

The transverse transmissions use much shorter, well supported input shafts, and do not need a pilot bearing.

DubProblems

TDI
2001 ALH
Correct. And if you want to use a BHW, the only thing you'll really be able to "use" is the engine proper (block, pistons, crank, rods, head, cam). Everything else will have to be sourced from a transverse PD like the BEW.
Basically, you'd be making a low compression 2.0L BEW.
That's all im really looking to use. I already have a VNT17, a 5 speed trans, clutch, flywheel, PD150 intake. The guy selling the BHW will sell it to me with BEW accesories, bracket, balancer, and coolant hoses. I will source my own BEW engine harnesses and ECU. Think thats all I should need?

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
As already stated, you don't need a pilot bearing. But you will be replacing the BHW's flexplate for a full 228mm flywheel and clutch kit for a transverse MkIV manual.

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 jetta tdi, 2004 passat sedan tdi, 2005 passat wagon tdi , 2005 passat sedan tdi
I'm pretty sure the mk2 mk3 rear engine mount will bolt right up as I have removed that mount and installed the a/c bracket from the bhw

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
You can use the turbo and exhaust manifold brackets. Then use whichever intake manifold fits best for your setup. the mk3/mk2 engine brackets will bolt up to the back of it. I had a BHW turbo in my Corrado on an AHU.

I'd bet you would need all transverse accessories and brackets.

For the management I'd just use the B5.5 management with a tune for the immobilizer unless there is a better OEM setup.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Good to know?