Somebody PLEASE do a direct PWM turbo controller already!!!

apomiett

Veteran Member
TDI
A2 mTDI
We tested the BMW PWM actuator with pulse generator and the working range was ~290Hz to ~310 Hz. Mercedes actuator is supposed to be ~140Hz. Both actuators have same part number so you have to know what car was it from. You can simply swap the cover from BMW ectuator to VW/Audi actuator and it will work with PWM. You will get CEL from incorrect resistance but that can also be disabled.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Happy the read that this is finally taking off after so many years. :)

struikie

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d E91
there are 2 types of actuators:
1- with power/ servo electronics inside the actuator which can be run with PWM
2- with power/ servo electronics inside the ecu

#1 can be controlled by altered PWM for N75 on the right frequency
#2 needs an add-on circuit to provide the servo of power/ control

JW

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 RS4 Titanium 3.0TDI & 2013 Touareg TDI & B6 S4 BHW Swap Biturbo
This is easy you have a tuner change the frequency in the map to 143hz

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
its neither of both. it just has DC motor and pos sensor. as in: not useable with edc15

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Ruben, you're mostly right, I have done it on EDC15, I contemplated making and selling the converter box but it's frustrating enough for me to dial it in I can't imagine the average user utilizing it. If you want to know how to do it, e-mail me and I can send you some info.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
I run benz unit on edc17, took me half an hour to figure incl wiring and I think on edc15 it wont take much longer.. so why make anconvertor box?

Or you are using audi unit?

Demon Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Audi A4 Quattro Avant 2.0TDI 6spd manual
3pin should be PWM. Power, Ground, and PWM signal. Some use 4 wires where the 4th is status feedback to ECU.

CAN would be 4 wire. Power, Ground, CAN High, and CAN Low.

VW/Audi (no electronics) style uses 5pin. Motor +, Motor -, Position Sensor Power, Position Sensor Ground, and Pisition Sensor Signal.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Looks like you don't have to do much...

To revive an old thread:

I'm not done with my analysis of the various N75 PWM signals yet, but the ECU in my B4 (only know it as a FA ECU, but it's an EDC15V, right?) is capable of alternative PWM frequencies. Our stock B4 produces a 15.5 Hz signal and mine with a AFN tune produces a 300 Hz PWM signal. I've not check out a stock MK IV, but our '02 that was tuned by Leonard (Wild Rose) back in the day produced a clean 300 Hz PWM signal.

This leads me to believe it's reasonable to assume that the PWM frequency is capable of being adjusted in a tune on the newer TDIs. Anyone want to though a tune and see where this is stored?

So, if I've read everything right, all that is needed is a non-CAN controller and a proper wiring harness, no?
We tested the BMW PWM actuator with pulse generator and the working range was ~290Hz to ~310 Hz. Mercedes actuator is supposed to be ~140Hz. Both actuators have same part number so you have to know what car was it from. You can simply swap the cover from BMW ectuator to VW/Audi actuator and it will work with PWM. You will get CEL from incorrect resistance but that can also be disabled.
I am running a BMW actuator with PWM @ 300hz indeed...
Johan got it running perfectly...

JW
If anyone interested then I got gtb turbo hella actuator working on my car. It is direct fit because takes pwm with frequency 300Hz like EDC15 outputs.

Hella part number 6NW 009 228

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pZFT1GeIY4

No mods, no hassle :p

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Without knowing the signal requirements though, it is possible to try that board if it cannot source enough current if the electronic controller has the requirement of being driven by the signal. YMMV.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Here is the recipe for making an Audi GTB electronic conversion board:
https://www.pololu.com/product/1394
1J0973733
1J0973833
1J0973722
8d0973822

Jeep: 68087939aa - or use the VW equivalent which is preferred. Jeep connector is cheaper AND comes with wires, a piece needs to be removed for it to fit.

I don't have all the components in front of me to give you exact wiring but here is how it works.

N75 plug, one wire is +battery(T2/1), one wire is 0-12v signal(T2/2) from the ECU, a PWM signal. Add a ground wire to chassis.

+12v batt goes to VIN, the added ground goes to GND.

Put a fooler resistor(1k IIRC) across the two N75 wires so that the ECU is happy

Make up a voltage divider circuit to turn the 0-12v signal to 0-4.5v, that goes to the RX signal. .47v/v is what I used.

The 2x3 header on the JRK has a 5v output, groud, then feedback input - these go to the turbo connector, it has a 0-5v position sensor in it.
+5v: T6/5
gnd T6/3

A and B on the JRK also goes to the turbo - this goes to the motor leads on the servo. Pins 1 and 2

From there, you get to play with the software, I don't know where my settings would be saved.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Im running vklr for 30k now. Works perfect. Stock benz actuator just needs a ground and pull up, change frequency in ecu till its happy and good to go

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
That's awesome news Ruben and others! Why am I still in the dark about this?! :/

Demon Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Audi A4 Quattro Avant 2.0TDI 6spd manual
I've done a few of them as well. Same as Ruben but no resistor needed. Just a little more changes in the tune. :)

Benz controller, ground wire, tune.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
I wasn't sure if the power stage in the ecu could also source to make the signal go high, didn't bother to try to run without pull up =)

for others interested, here are the labels one needs change:

Reactions: B3n