Odometer comes and goes

thermo

TDI
Mk4 Jetta (2000) 175k mi
On my 2000 Jetta (mkIV) TDI,
my odometer doesn't display any data when it's cold outside, or even cool.
When warm enough, the milage appears. The clock always works as does the trip meter. It's just the odometer that has this problem.
As things warm up, more and more digits appear. After sitting in the parking lot all day and getting nice and hot all digits appear in full LCD glory.

I browsed through some other posts on this and it sounds like it could be the "zebra" contacts behind that display element. I guess that means that there is a separate one for the trip meter?

One day I removed the cluster from the dash, but it didn't appear to be very serviceable so i put it back in. I made sure that the wiring harnesses were fitted on properly.

I was turned away from an emission test this morning because they couldn't read the odometer. Very frustrating. I rescheduled the test for an afternoon so that the car will be hot inside and the display should be back on.

I'd like to fix this. Can anyone recomend something aside from replacing the cluster? How much does another cluster cost anyway?

Thanks,
Thermo

Wook660

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Red Jetta GL TDI 5 speed
I'm gonna refresh this...

I went to a wedding yeturday and my display was working perfectly, came back out to the car about an hour later and the display was almost gone. Only the top 1/3 of the numbers on the odometer is visible and the clock and tripometer are gone. This morning everything was completely blank but after driving maybe 5 minutes the top 1/3 appeared again. Any suggestions, I'm in FL so the cold obviously has nothing to do with it. Is it only fixable with a whole new cluster, thanks.

LPC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 1997 Jetta
Any ideas on this? My odometer digits are going out when cold outside, notice in the morning. They are back when warm out on drive home. My mile counter is also doing the same. My clock has not had this problem, but my speedometer and tacometer needle lights are not working. Is all this just start of display going out? Im over 200K miles....

LPC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 1997 Jetta
Just noticed the date on the last post. Sorry on pulling this old thread up. Any other threads with resolution. My searches are not bringing anything else up.....

thermo

TDI
Mk4 Jetta (2000) 175k mi
still having the problem after all this time.
Trip meter and clock work perfectly, but odometer won't appear unless its really warm inside the car.

the cluster is a single unit and doesn't appear to be serviceable. I read that if you replace the cluster, the odometer reading gets reset.

I guess we all have to live with it as it is.

thermo

TDI
Mk4 Jetta (2000) 175k mi
I recently fixed this. Will try to follow up with post ... until them feel free to PM me.