Golfs Cup Holders Are Useless!

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
Is it me, or are the Golf's center console cup holders too small to hold anything! In my Jetta, I could fit a 26oz thermos. The golf's cup holder can barley hold a disposable coffee cup! Anyone know of a cup holder mod so I can actually fit something in there?

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
Is it me, or are the Golf's center console cup holders too small to hold anything! In my Jetta, I could fit a 26oz thermos. The golf's cup holder can barley hold a disposable coffee cup! Anyone know of a cup holder mod so I can actually fit something in there?
This looks pretty beefy.

[URL="http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--TDI/Search/Cup/ES317159/#"]http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--TDI/Search/Cup/ES317159/#[/URL]

There is a bottle opener you can jam in the middle too.

Last edited:

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
I am actually happy that VW didn't change the golf to cater to Americans, because they would have screwed it up like they did the Jetta! I just wish I could find a coffee Thermos that would fit the holder, or a holder that could fit a small Thermos...3" diameter isn't that big!

I was thinking about the euro cup holder, but I wonder if that would help. The edges on the current cup holders already go to the edge of the center console opening, so I don't know how you could make it any bigger without cutting....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Starbucks Grande or Vente fits fine. Can of soda fits fine. I don't drink 20 oz sodas so I haven't tried that. I'm betting a Micky D's medium will fit, too, maybe even a large. I have a 20 oz water bottle that fits with room to spare. Not sure how much space you need.

I had a euro holder with the opener retrofitted in my A5 Jetta, but I don't think it held anything larger than the stock holders.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
Don't have any problems with mine. Bottled drinks and even large fast food drinks fit fine. Wouldn't want them any larger even, since some drinks already can silde around a bit more than I'd like.

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I'm pretty happy with mine as well. I've never had a drink I couldn't fit in the cup holders.

Although, my only complaint is they didn't put tabs on the rubber bottoms to make them easy to pull out when cleaning.

mojo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 6M, United Gray; 2014 Jetta TDI, 6M, Tornado Red
Larger sealed containers (water bottles, thermos, Gatorade, etc.) fit well in the forward section of the door pocket, which is indented. It obviously can't be an open container, but if your thermos is the kind where you push a button to open it, this might work for you.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea, it has to be a sealed thermous and stay warm for a few hours. I thought about the door panel but the fit is too loose, and it clunks around in there.

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
True it is rather baby. I fit normal Starbuck sized cups/gas station specials in it. The cupholder I use all the time is the door one. 32 oz Nalgene fits perfectly!

BrShootr

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI JSW
I always have a small washcloth or towel in the car, in case things get spilled or whatever. So I place my larger drinks in the door panel holder, and sine I have a towel right there, I put the towel in first (think of using the towel or washcloth as a table cloth, lining the inside of the bottle holder), then the cup over it. The towel hugs the cup snugly into the cup holder and absorbs any spills in case any happen. I kind of think they were meant to be used that way, actually.

xeno555

Veteran Member
TDI
golf
Non obese Europeans = smaller beverages = smaller cup holders
Actually German cars recently put cup holder in their vehicle. It is illegal to drive on the autobahn and drink/eat/use phone.

Oh and your right, they do not have super big gulps there. :eek:

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
I'm pretty happy with mine as well. I've never had a drink I couldn't fit in the cup holders.

Although, my only complaint is they didn't put tabs on the rubber bottoms to make them easy to pull out when cleaning.
ditto. Tim's medium and large coffee fit JUST FINE!!!

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
The Contigo 16 oz travel mugs fit in the cup holders perfectly. And I've been told that the 20 oz Contigo mugs are just taller, but the same diameter, as the 16 oz mugs. These are GREAT travel mugs, because they don't drip when tipped, and the insulation is very effective, so the beverage stays hot (or cold, if that's how it started) for a very long time.

I suggest the stainless models, not the painted models, because the paint chips very easily.

http://www.amazon.com/Contigo-AUTOS...TF8&coliid=I2PG2HU1AADOBF&colid=3SA9YVHS3XUKJ

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
I have no complaints with em. Cans fit, 20oz bottles fit, even the large drive thru drinks fit as most chains use cups that are narrowed at the bottom for roughly the same profile as a can, and for long trips, the bigger 1 liter bottles of mt. dew or the like fit perfectly in the door pocket drink holder.

Kia Forte I had last week on the other hand... it's cupholders were bad. Way too big for anything but ginormous cups, with no spring loaded holders or anything for more normal sized things. Basicly was about as effective as simply having a flat surface as you always had to put your hand on whatever was in it to steady it during any little movement.

m_skena

Veteran Member
TDI
Not Any More!
I have a few Aladdin brand mugs that fit great. I've been using these mugs for years and find them better than any other I've tried. Available at Target, Walmart, etc.

Ryephile

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf
I think the Golf's cup holders in the center console are excellent; they hold a large soda from Taco Bell and a large Slurpee. Not only that, but they hold them while I actually take corners at reasonable pace [i.e. everyone else is holding me up]. They score an A from me.

shawn120

TDI
2004 Jetta tdi /2010 Golf TDI wagon-Candy white -Pano/multimedia/DSG
They have always done the job for me...I actually think they are quite good. Larger water bottles fit well in the door.