Cruise Control not working ...... any ideas or suggestions

SmudgePot

TDI
2002 Jetta Automatic
I have a 2002 Jetta automatic. The cruise control quit working. When I switch the cruise to the on position it lights up a cruise lamp on the dash but when I push the set or resume button .... nothing happens. :(

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
SmudgePot

Cas

Veteran Member
TDI
2009jetta
i cleaned the contacts by removing slide button with small screw driver,spray electric cleaner . working fine now

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (5-speed swapped)
I'd like to add my cruise control problem to this thread too...
-2000 Golf with automatic trans and 123,000 miles, has never worked while in my possession (last 5K miles).
-Unlike SmudgePot, my dash light does not come on when I slide the switch.
-My brake switch was recently replaced (brake lights work, but still no cruise function).
-I checked via Vag-Com and the Cruise function is coded properly.

Now on to the proposed fix...
-How do you remove the slide button? Which way do you pry?

KROUT

persona non grata
When I bought my jetta the ecu had been reflashed by the dealer and the cruise was turned off. I cant remember what I did to turn it back on but did it with vag-com. I fould the info to check it here. Sorry dont have any links.

SmudgePot

TDI
2002 Jetta Automatic
Yep, I checked all the fuses. I did have a tail light bulb out but I replaced it, didn't fix the problem. I will try the brake light switch next and clean the contacts in the on/off switch. I am not sure how to disassemble the switch tho.
Thanks for all the ideas. :)

TDIFanatic1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 Jetta TDI
There was a thread about the actual switch on the flicker stalk that needed cleaning. You need to carefuly remove the sliding button and spray some switch cleaner in there.

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
02AutoWag said:
I'd like to add my cruise control problem to this thread too...
-2000 Golf with automatic trans and 123,000 miles, has never worked while in my possession (last 5K miles).
-Unlike SmudgePot, my dash light does not come on when I slide the switch.
-My brake switch was recently replaced (brake lights work, but still no cruise function).
-I checked via Vag-Com and the Cruise function is coded properly.

Now on to the proposed fix...
-How do you remove the slide button? Which way do you pry?
I suppose I should have searched first :eek: ...
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=825571

-Looks like my 2000 does not have a dash light, so that explains that.
-I'll have to give the Vag-Com another try as I don't think I went through the whole test procedure.
-Slide switch removal picture included in link above.

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
02AutoWag said:
I suppose I should have searched first :eek: ...
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=825571

-Looks like my 2000 does not have a dash light, so that explains that.
-I'll have to give the Vag-Com another try as I don't think I went through the whole test procedure.
-Slide switch removal picture included in link above.
The Vag-Com testing using the link above showed that my switch wasn't working properly. As instructed, I popped the slide switch off and sprayed a little electronics cleaner...cruise now functions as expected. Thanks Wingnut for the pictorial.

If you don't have Vag-Com, I'd suggest just prying the switch and giving the cleaner a try. The switch attaches just like a snap button on a pair of pants or a jacket, so there's not much that can go wrong.

Last edited:

SmudgePot

TDI
2002 Jetta Automatic
I checked the fuses, changed the brake light switch and cleaned the contacts as suggested with no positive results, my cruise still doesn't work. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

PS: The VW cruise control system is different than any other I have I have seen so suggestions and hints are greatly appreciated.

SmudgePot

TDI
2002 Jetta Automatic
I have been wondering about that. What is a proper scan tool? Is there something other than the Ross that works well? It would be nice to have some kind of hand held unit if there is anything that works well.

OzarkTDI

TDI
'06.7 NB TDI
KC is supported

Go to the meetings/get together forums, find Missouri, you will see activity from a recent get together in KC. Someone there may meet you to scan your vehicle.

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
I don't know what to suggest. I've checked all my fuses, bulbs, replaced both brake switches (on the A3), the VSS....no more codes. No cruise. Welcome to my party.

herc269

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I'm in the same boat also, only my cruise control will work on very rare occasions. I've folllowed the same maintenace checks posted, ie. sprayed cleaner, checked fuses, etc. but to no avail.

One different problem though, my drivers side, side marker light comes on with running lights but does not come on when signal lights are turned on (quick flash when I turn on left turn signal). I replaced bulb but that didn't fix it either. I have a 1998 Jetta.

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
im probably gonna have to think about that new switch as well. But thing is, after I dont use my brake for a while GP light flashes till I tap brakes, would the CC switch signal that?

As for the marker light, mine is a 98 Jetta too. That light doesnt flash, it is only a marker light. Now, you can do what I am doing, buying mk4 side blinker LEDs and installing them. I think they'll come in tomorrow!

Russnut

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
My glow plug light started flashing at autocross. it's the brake switch. I think i ripped off the dealer cause they only charge me $5.00. Either way, it was an easy fix. now to reset it.

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
Russnut said:
My glow plug light started flashing at autocross. it's the brake switch. I think i ripped off the dealer cause they only charge me $5.00. Either way, it was an easy fix. now to reset it.

Reset it? So mine's replaced, is there a proceedure I need to do to make it start working?

Russnut

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
I'm assuming you have to reset it with vagcom. I accidentally read the instructions and it says to clear the code or whatever after you replace it.

Pappa Grande

TDI
2015 GSW S 6sp [was 2013 Passat TDI 6sp & was 2002 Golf]
Does your AC work? I was having trouble with my AC - FCM. Ac did not work. Got AC fixed, cruise worked fine.

mechanicalbrew

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf GL Manual Tranny
i had the same problem. i followed the how to trouble shoot a flakey cruise control how to in the how to section

i couldn't fix it, so i replaced the turn signal stalk. took about 20 min and the part was about $40 on worldimpex.com

SmudgePot

TDI
2002 Jetta Automatic
Did that fix your problem.

mechanicalbrew said:
i had the same problem. i followed the how to trouble shoot a flakey cruise control how to in the how to section

i couldn't fix it, so i replaced the turn signal stalk. took about 20 min and the part was about $40 on worldimpex.com

wearewear

TDI
99.5 jetta gls tdi
cruise control problem

Sorry no answers just a similiar problem NO CRUISE all fuzes and everything checks properly on VOG COM #6 measuring blocks no dash light. Now comes the crazy part when I pull the turn signal lever back and set the cruise it works perfectly. As soon as I let the turn sig switch go forward I lose my cruise. I would appreciate any suggestions..