Clutch - Sachs or LUK

MikeWr75

TDI
2003 golf tdi
Hello. I am a new tdi owner & new to this forum
Just purchased a 2003 Golf TDI. I think that it will need a new clutch in the near future. Without removing the clutch first how do you tell which type that you have? Sachs (230mm) or LUK (220mm)
Thanks
Mike W.

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
I believe yours is a Sachs clutch. The Luk was only on early model A4s, like my 99.5 Jetta, which has a Luk clutch.

MikeWr75

TDI
2003 golf tdi
Is this single-mass flywheel/clutch upgrade a popular move? I see Sachs has a kit available as well. Is it a better kit than the Valeo?

Yuri- thanks for that tip.
Mike

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
MikeWr75 said:
Is this single-mass flywheel/clutch upgrade a popular move?
Just about everyone who has upgraded his car with both nozzles and a chip has found it necessary to go to a G60/VR6 single-mass flywheel clutch system.

Yuri.

D Harvey

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
MikeWr75 said:
Is this single-mass flywheel/clutch upgrade a popular move? I see Sachs has a kit available as well.
The single mass flywheel is definitely the way to go. I put one in this past June w/ a Sachs clutch and it has worked like a champ. The only drawback to the SM flywheel I've noticed is while sitting still with the car in neutral and the clutch out it's a little noisier--a pretty minor thing.

MCathcart

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
My vote is Not a LUK!

I have a Brand New DMF/Clutch in the shop that LUK would not warranty (or replace). The clutch was put in the car 500 miles before I bought the car by a dealer in Texas. The car was driven from Texas to Georgia and started Knocking on the way. The couple took the car to the dealer in Atlanta and they said "It's the Flywheel and it's going to Cost $1700" so the people decide to sell the Beetle. I bought it and removed the clutch and contacted LUK even sent them a picture of the clutch. It still has the white numbers on the clutch disc and looks Brand New except the DM Flywheel has about 40 degrees of play and knocks on each end of the 40 degree movement. Luk asked me to take the car back to Texas and they would warranty it. I said No Freakin' Way. I know I was not the Original Owner and did not install the clutch but They Manufactured and Sold It and it has a Manufacturers Defect. I know two of my cars now have Luk DMF Clucthes but no more.

Mike