Mazda SkyActiv Diesel Engine

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
Mazda finally admitted their diesel introduction to the US is on an indefinite hold. I would have never guessed.....
http://blog.caranddriver.com/holy-s...indefinite-hold-for-u-s-following-vw-scandal/
guess we know how VW got zoom zoom and also "met" the standards...

guess the guys over at Mazda didn't consider (or ultimately implement) "the VAG plan"... maybe they just didn't get there soon enough, lol

"Mazda wouldn’t say the exact issue holding it up, but the problem boiled down to maintaining performance while meeting our diesel-emissions standards—specifically, on how to modify the engine without using a urea-injection system to treat the exhaust"

too bad... I was looking forward to seeing these things over here...

Last edited:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
VWAG has cleared all the hurdles, and who knows with the election maybe next year light duty auto diesels will be given a roll back of emissions requirement....

What is there to stop any auto make, even VWAG from coming back in force with diesels in the auto class......

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Due to the timeline of the settlement, I don't think we will see any new VW diesels until 2020, at the earliest.

Actually, in writing it down and thinking about it, it would make sense to start selling diesels in 2018 to get those last holdouts to hand over those bad cheating stinking diesels.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
VWAG has cleared all the hurdles, and who knows with the election maybe next year light duty auto diesels will be given a roll back of emissions requirement....

What is there to stop any auto make, even VWAG from coming back in force with diesels in the auto class......

CARB kinda leads the way in that stuff, so not much will change. I think VW will be back with a Urea system and a full line of diesel cars soon. Too big of a money maker for them. Having full electrics, small ICE hybrids and diesels would be a complete lineup with something for everybody.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Hard not to be skeptical after hearing about these for a decade and now again in this post dieselgate smog they're really really coming?

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
Îndeed...

I love the picture cars.com used for a dieselgate story... note the big rig rolling coal in the background... Better get these TDIs off the road before they do irreparable harm though!

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I checked reported Mazda diesel megs on Fuelly.com, FWIW. I looked up 2015 Mazda 3, 6, and CX5, with Diesel engines. There aren't many reported, but mpg runs mid 30s to low 40s, some of those may be reporting British gallons. Real world experience looks good, but not great so far.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Fuelly has you specify what units you're using, and in the UK, even though fuel economy is often reported in miles per imperial gallon, fuel is purchased in liters. So, if you're entering things into Fuelly there, you're probably using liters anyway, and it all gets converted to your preferred format when viewing it. So, when you're just looking through Fuelly, you're probably seeing miles per US gallon for everything.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
It is official Mazda CX5 with 2.2L Diesel will be sold second half of 2017...

Details,

http://blog.caranddriver.com/mazda-finally-bringing-diesel-engine-to-the-u-s-in-2017-cx-5/

"2.2-liter diesel will be offered here, starting in the second half of 2017. Again, Mazda is providing no specs, although in other markets the sequentially turbocharged Skyactiv-D makes as much as 173 horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque at 2000 rpm. Whether it will be available with the six-speed stick or just the six-speed automatic also remains to be seen. No fuel-economy estimates are available as of yet, with Mazda saying only that the diesel-engine CX-5 would be “one of the most fuel-efficient vehicles in its class.”

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
It's official when Mazda sells one here. At least they have had time to refine the engine since 2011.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Saw the CX-5 at the L.A. Auto show and looked very hard for any hint about the Mazda diesel engine. But there was ZERO there about Mazda diesel.

Chevy was right next door with a cut away of the 1.6 diesel and the 2.8 diesel. From that, I think the new diesels from Chevy are closer to the market than the Mazda diesel.

Has anyone checked the EPA certification web site to see about 2017/18 diesels?

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
The Mazda diesel will get here when Lucy lets Charlie Brown kick the football.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
So, August 2, 1979?

(She did let him kick the football... but he missed and kicked her instead.)

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I've read elsewhere that Mazda is already working on 2nd-generation Skyactiv gasoline engines, which will be using HCCI. At that point, there pretty much ceases to be a distinction between a gasoline engine and a diesel engine. They may just opt to skip the diesel for the current generation since the next generation would render it redundant anyhow.
This is encouraging:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1108359_mazda-to-launch-homogeneous-charge-compression-engine-next-year

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
When I was in high school, another guy had a Studebaker Lark (pity him). He would shut off the ignition, and the car would keep running. He would have to put it in gear, put his foot on the brake, and pop the clutch to get it to stop running.

I guess Studebaker was ahead of its time.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
So have there been other 'blow ups' with these homogeneous-charge compression engine types?

Or maybe it has been 'covered up' and the public does not know.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
There can't have been any, because no current production engine uses it.

The hardware is more-or-less the same as a DOHC gasoline engine with direct-injection and variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
There actually are current-production HCCI engines, but not in cars, and most of them aren't even 4-stroke.

(Model airplane diesels use HCCI with a carburetor (if you can even call it that), and you vary compression with a contra-piston in the head, until the thing is running smoothly.)

Not exactly relevant to modern attempts at HCCI, though.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
A few days ago, I paid a visit to my local Mazda dealer, and as I was checking out the latest CX-5, I opened the fuel flap. Inside, I found a cap of the fuel tank, and right next to it was another opening that was covered by a piece of plastic. The sales guy confirmed my suspicion that this was, in fact, an opening for the future urea tank. He told me the dealership doesn't have any indication from the HQ when the diesels might be coming, but everyone on the sales floor feels the extra hole is a good sign we are getting closer. Who knows? Maybe we are.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Note that our diesel could easily be running rich to minimize NOx, and then constantly regenning the DPF to make up for the soot loading, or something like that...

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Note that our diesel could easily be running rich to minimize NOx, and then constantly regenning the DPF to make up for the soot loading, or something like that...
Yeah, but to pass Euro6 even pre-Euro6d-temp, the pre-mid-2018 Skyactiv-D (no SCR) has to work pretty hard to be halfway clean. And the new Skyactiv-D (184hp, SCR) has SCR, so it doesn't need too much crazy to be clean. (but had to be tested in the WLTP cycle AND RDE to get the Euro6d-temp rating...)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Interesting that the numbers are that low. I would have expected mid to high 30s highway at least. Jaguar F-Pace with a 2.0L Diesel and AWD shows 26/33. I'm sure that's a heavier vehicle.

Last edited: