2012 Golf HID's in Canada ???

8luglogic

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6spd man
I have searched the forum on HID headlight conversions and found just about enough info to confuse me . I'm a noob when it comes to VW so u'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge .
Just in the process of buying a 2012 Golf TDI Highline model . They are optioned much differently in Canada than in the USA . So I wanted the HID headlights but they are only available in the US . In Canada you can only get HID's on a GTI .
I know it is going to cost $$$$ to do the conversion . So with that being said . Do I order the GTi model HID's from the VW dealer ? If there is a better option to getting HID's that are equal to or better than factory ones , what should I be looking for ? One thing to note , here in Canada the DRL's are required . Not sure if that is just a matter of computer programing or there is a difference in the lights themselves ? :confused:

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
I know it is going to cost $$$$ to do the conversion . So with that being said . Do I order the GTi model HID's from the VW dealer ? If there is a better option to getting HID's that are equal to or better than factory ones , what should I be looking for ? One thing to note , here in Canada the DRL's are required . Not sure if that is just a matter of computer programing or there is a difference in the lights themselves ? :confused:
In the vicinity of:
$1600 headlight housings and ballasts
$400 VCDS
$525 CECM Upgrade
$75 Euroswitch (optional)

All these parts are lists on OEMPlus (American) and PGPerformances (British Columbia) websites.

Dealer would likely be more that the places listed above.

Nothing is equal or better than OEM. Ed in Vancouver is selling some housing knockoffs for about $800 but you still need and HID kit.

DRL's can be done thru VCDS. If you get the new HID's, the LEDs are the DRLs if you still want them or you can reprogram your fogs to act as the DRLs.

Last edited:

8luglogic

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6spd man
In the vicinity of:
$1600 headlight housings and ballasts
$400 VCDS
$525 CECM Upgrade
$75 Euroswitch (optional)

All these parts are lists on OEMPlus (American) and PGPerformances (British Columbia) websites.

Dealer would likely be more that the places listed above.

Nothing is equal or better than OEM. Ed in Vancouver is selling some housing knockoffs for about $800 but you still need and HID kit.

DRL's can be done thru VCDS. If you get the new HID's, the LEDs are the DRLs if you still want them or you can reprogram your fogs to act as the DRLs.

Thanks for the info ! I was reading your sig , and noticed the reference to ceramic tint . What is that ?

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
Wikipedia!

Modern window film technology has created Ceramic Window Film which are non-metallic and do not contain dyes that can result in discoloration. The dyed and metallic window films usually cost 10–15 percent more than regular windows but can reduce energy loss by as much as 30–50 percent."[1] Ceramic window films cost slightly more but provide a substantial increase in blocking UV rays and ability to control heat transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8luglogic

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6spd man
Wikipedia!

Modern window film technology has created Ceramic Window Film which are non-metallic and do not contain dyes that can result in discoloration. The dyed and metallic window films usually cost 10–15 percent more than regular windows but can reduce energy loss by as much as 30–50 percent."[1] Ceramic window films cost slightly more but provide a substantial increase in blocking UV rays and ability to control heat transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you sir !

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
The stock reflectors are actually pretty good. I was considering a HID upgrade until I saw the price tag that an earlier poster kindly supplied (and he didn't include the $300 cost of the VCDS interface). It's your call of course, but I decided the improvement wasn't worth the money plus installation effort.

r0nd3L

TDI
2003 Jetta
I did my swap on a budget.

-$600 for a pair of slightly used housings (look new)
-$70/ea Hella ballast from eBay (Part Number: HELLA 5DV 009 000-00)
-$45 Morimoto D2S Bulbs
-$120 Kufatec harness adapter. Had to get this shipped from Germany as Kufatec USA didn't have any in stock.
-Enable bi-xenon with shutters using VCDS.

That's all that's needed for a basic swap. All that's left is to get high-line CECM to have functioning high-beams, but I haven't gotten to this part yet.

Last edited: