Oil Change- HELP!!!- 2005 Passat TDI

BlingDiesel

TDI
2005 Black Passat TDI
:confused:

As a "new" addition to the TDI family- I was about to embark on my first oil change (5,000 miles) when I looked under the hood and I did an immediate "halt." Where do I begin ??? Diesel oil change/ Water seperation???? I've change my oil for all my other cars- "gassers" but the diesel is new to me. Does anyone have some basic guidelines to do an oil change on a TDI- special tools, "best" oil, etc.... or is this to difficult for a "diesel novice" to do?? I just can justify paying $69.00 for an oild change!

Thanks!!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Bling, the newer PD cars require a unique oil. 5 quarts X $8/qt = $40. The filter is usually around $9. You do the math, you may be better off using the dealer (if you are posing these sort of questions) and keeping your fingernails clean ;) assuming the dealer has the correct oil

Welcome aboard!

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
You will need a oil filter from VW and oil that meets or exceeds 505.01 specific. I know many VW dealers who sell it for about $6.50/qt retail (ex: Motul Oil). This oil is not only a synthetic, but a synthetic that meets a certain criteria. Much of this is available online.

Many of us use a vacuum type oil extractor so we don't actually have to go under the car to change the oil. You can get one from www.jerrybleach.com that is called a Pela.

The water seperator is found on the fuel filter. You normally replace the fuel filter every 20k miles.

Last edited:

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen; 2006 New Beetle
many here will tell you not to worry about the water separator b/c they never find water when they check. just replace the fuel filter at 20k.

tdiparts.com and worldimpex.com are two good places to find 505.01 oil. motul specific and elf are two of many good oils to use. you can even find oil change "kits" on these sites which include 5 liters of oil and a filter for around $35-$40. the filter you need also fits the a4 chassis (the mann filter is listed for the a4/b4 cars). the filter comes with two new o-rings, which you need to replace on the stick in the filter housing. you'll need a strap wrench or torque wrench to remove the filter housing.

as suggested above, a pela extractor from jerry b. leach makes things much simpler b/c you can do everything topside: you suck the oil out through the dipstick tube, then suck what is left from the filter housing. you actually get more oil out this way. the pela 6000 is around $40-$45, but if you even that out over the many oil changes, you still come out ahead of the dealer cost.

the forum was just updated, so i don't know if the video section is back up yet, but see if you can find the video on an a4 oil change; almost everything is the same, and it is a good tutorial. be absolutely sure to get 505.01 oil; don't skimp and get conventional oil as it will in time coke your engine up. you have an engine which demands a "high-test" oil; be sure to give it just that and your car (and you) will remain happy.

dave333

Veteran Member
TDI
Did own... None right now!
dieseldorf said:
you may be better off using the dealer

Welcome aboard!

Well... I'm sure most of us know where the money separator can be found! :D

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
We've some very good how too videos here. Links are above.
Top side oil change is the way to go. Either a vacuum pump or a 12V pump.

Mail order is the simplest way to find your parts. There is a list of registered Vendors On this site. They are all good.

Don't forget the 505.01 oil specification. Not the older 505.00 but the 505.01. Proper oil for a PD is only available through the dealer or mail order at this time.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Do not forget to save all your oil and filter receipts. In fact, make photocopies because the originals may fade or get lost. You may need those receipts to prove that you used the right oil at the right mileage interval.

I was going to say, getting the first oil change done at the dealership is not a terrible idea -- especially if you haven't got the right oil, the right filter, or a Pela topside extractor.

But in general, you want to avoid VW dealerships whenever possible, except for warranty issues. It's not just about, or primarily about, the high cost of service at dealerships. Mainly it's about peace of mind, knowing that you did the work yourself and you did it right, and not having to wonder what the jerks at the dealership did to screw up your car.

BlingDiesel

TDI
2005 Black Passat TDI
:)

Thanks to all for your quick response and suggestions...... Regarding the oil having to be 505.01. There are multiple brands.... Elf, Motul, Pentosynth TS 5w40 (505.01) motor oil, Castrol brand sold at VW dealerships.... Is there a particular brand rated better than the other....?

Thanks

-Bling

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
BlingDiesel said:
:)

Is there a particular brand rated better than the other....?

Thanks

-Bling

BLing, the question has been asked and nothing decisive has been offered; assume they are comparable as they all meet the VAG quality standard.

NorthernMage

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 6MT, Platinum Grey
I vote for the topside oil change, there a couple of different oil extractors, the Pella 6000 being the most popular, West Marine sells one as do several other tool suppliers like Astro but they are all similar. Pella seems to be a good design. You insert the tube down the dipstick tube and suck out the oil instead of jacking up the car and removing all those Torx fittings that are holding the skid plate on. If you haven't been under your car yet maybe one change the traditional way would be good to do but there is almost no access under there due to the belly pan/skid plate which has to be removed.If you read the forum on Lubricants you will find discussion on various oils, yours need 505.01 MINIMUM, but there are better oils out there now, I think the 507.00 and the 506.01 are supposed to be good - but they are right about making sure you have proof of purchase for the correct oil and filter. WorldImpex has the Motul oil on sale for $32.00 now http://www.worldimpex.com/item_detail.html?sku=238654 and it says 505.01 in big letters on the front of the container - 5 litres which is more than you need. Another $5.75 will get you a Mahle oil filter or $7.99 a genuine OEM filter, you can get the whole thing as a kit for $40.00 and it includes a new drain plug! Do a search for "oil" on their site and you will note that they sell 20K, 40K, 60K and 80K kits with all the filters and oil that you need.You do the oil change so rarely on this car that you should do it right. Use the good quality oil and filters because they have to last!

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Where in IL are you?

We are trying to plan a small GTG. Maybe you could come by.

BlingDiesel

TDI
2005 Black Passat TDI
jasonTDI-

I'm in a town called Winfield.... about 30 west of downtown Chicago.. Ok my "TDI" forum knowledge is "new".... what is a GTG???

-Bling

NorthernMage

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 6MT, Platinum Grey
A GTG is a Get To-Gether where they will help you with your questions, someone might bring a Pella extractor along and help you do your first oil change. They might even have some oil they can provide for cost and a filter as well. Just a bunch of TDI guys meeting at an agreed location to share information and skills. You will learn how, where, when to replace filters etc...