Bad Wheel Bearing or CV joint???

meisterleipz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (01M)
So, I recently replaced my left CV joint because the boot cracked, got all kinds of junk in it and then eventually gave a snapping noise when I turn in either direction.

Replaced the entire axle with a used unit. Looked pretty good/new. Snapping noise gone.

Now I have a humming-type noise when I turn hard to the right and left (more so when I turn right though) at about 80km/hr but I can also hear it when I go about 50-60km/hr driving straight. I also get a periodic clunk noise- doesn't happen when i go over bumps- ball joint and tie rod are all tight.

Bad used cv joint or bad wheel bearing now?

Last edited:

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Bearing...front...perhaps both. They are hard to diagnose. I would guess the left with your description, typically opposite to what one expects. The inner side fails, which in the past caused me to change the wrong side 2x. Usually, hard left turn, bearing goes quiet, left side failure, but, turned out to be the right side inner failed. I also have another bearing on the way out, and am listening closely, I do not change the wrong one again.

C

meisterleipz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (01M)
what would a cv joint sound like if it had no grease? I never checked if the new used one had any grease.

Because the sound that I am hearing is not really a humming but more like a humming/grinding noise...there is no constant vibration though. also, would a bad wheel bearing give a random clunk noise?

Last edited:

volkswheels

Vendor
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI DSG, 2012 GolfHighline TDI DSG
Just replaced both front wheel bearings on my '01 yesterday, couldn't stand the loud humming noise from the left front wheel, replaced the ball joints, tie rods, strut mount bushings,strut bearings and upgraded to the TT control arm bushings, going for an alignment today :)

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
When you changed the axle, did you tighten the big nut enough?

yhmtdi

TDI
'01 Golf TDI, '00 Golf 1.8T
Always a good idea to open and check/add grease to the CVs on replacement axles. I've found that they tend to skimp on grease, so the lifetime of the joints is shorter than it needs to be.

Mark

meisterleipz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (01M)
i guess i will be ordering a new axle then and return the used one that I installed. I've heard bad bearings before and this doesn't really sound like it. The sound that I am hearing is much more "aggressive." If that doesn't fix it then its the bearings then.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Might be less of a moeny waste if you replace the axle with another good used one. What are the chances that you'll end up with two bad axles in a row?

meisterleipz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (01M)
Might be less of a moeny waste if you replace the axle with another good used one. What are the chances that you'll end up with two bad axles in a row?
true...my dad is convinced that it is the bearings because there is no constant ticking noise that would indicate a bad cv joint. i don't know...i guess I will try doing the front bearings starting with the left one.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
On a smooth level road, does it change intensity, or tone as you weave left and right? I just changed one of my front wheel bearings yesterday, I put the car up for an oil change, and was shocked I had quite a bit of play in the bearing?! I had had some noise from it, but it did not howl like others. It depends how they fail I guess. Have you checked the bearings for play? That also is unusual, but nothing is impossible.

C

meisterleipz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (01M)
i am hearing the noise now when I am driving straight and gets much more intense when I turn left and right. there is no play in the wheel tho, which is strange. There should be play, no?

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
On a smooth level road, does it change intensity, or tone as you weave left and right? I just changed one of my front wheel bearings yesterday, I put the car up for an oil change, and was shocked I had quite a bit of play in the bearing?! I had had some noise from it, but it did not howl like others. It depends how they fail I guess. Have you checked the bearings for play? That also is unusual, but nothing is impossible.

C

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
No, not usually. From that description it's a bearing for sure. As I said, finding play was unusual, and it was not all that noisy surprisingly.

Now, no Chinese bearings, or you will be changing them soon again! Sorry, but stick with brand name, I put a crappy tire Chinese bearing in for a guy, 4 months later it was toast.

Fag, or skf, and they seem to be made in Korea.

C

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
No, not usually. From that description it's a bearing for sure. As I said, finding play was unusual, and it was not all that noisy surprisingly.

Now, no Chinese bearings, or you will be changing them soon again! Sorry, but stick with brand name, I put a crappy tire Chinese bearing in for a guy, 4 months later it was toast.

Fag, or skf, and they seem to be made in Korea.

C

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If it's a slight click, it might be savable.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is the truck grease for high pressure and is this what they squeez on the 5th wheel?

MoldovaDIZEL

Vendor
TDI
mk4 TDI, 98 Cabrio AAZ
yes sir it is.
the same grease is used in the axels,drive shaft,yolks,steering rack,tie rods and a bunch of other palces.
it takes about 45 minutes to grease a truck up properly, penetrating all grease fittings properly until the new grease come out.very dirty job tho....and you can see the effects of heat and strain on the old grease,it becomes stiff,changes color.....but its good stuff.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's cool to know, thanks! Most CV boot kits comes with grease but it's always good to have more.

In the mean time. Might want to sqeez in a few pumps into the torn boot, push it in as far as you can. It will help keeping the joint from deterriorating further.

kona99

TDI
01 Jetta
Wheel Bearing noise???

Have an issue with front end noise. Noise is present all the time but much worse turning to the left.....so I changed the right wheel.... no change. Help