3 Car seats in jetta

krog

If anyone has tried to fit three kids into a vw? How can 2 car seats and a booster be fit into a jetta. Looks like we will have to fit a 4yr old a 2 yr old and a new one in. No more long trips in the vw after this summer for a while.
Can the passenger air bag be turned off to allow 1 in the front?
Thanks for any ideas
Keith

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
It won't work. The Jetta is just not wide enough back there. Unfortunately your only options are a larger vehicle, such as the Passat. We went from the Jetta to a Volvo 850 wagon, a 91 Audi 200 quattro wagon, and finally a new 2002 Suzuki XL-7 (with 3rd row) until we got the space we needed. A minivan would do the trick as well but try getting that one past the wife

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
3 Car seats in Golf

I have two boosters and an infant seat in my Golf, but it is tight.

I have two Britax Star Comfys and a narrow infant/toddler seat (the kind that stays in place w/o the separate seat and base) that was very well rated when I bought it. They all fit, but it is hard to unbuckle the big kids' seat belts with the infant/toddler seat in place. It also pushes the big kids too close to the door for my taste and gives them no place to go in an accident. As a result, I try not to transport all three kids in the Golf if I can help it. IMO they are a lot safer in out Sienna. (I wish VW would sell a TDI Sharan or Multivan here. Heck, I'd settle for a Mercedes Vito with Dodge emblems
)

Let us know if you find a good solution.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
3 Car seats in Golf

I have fit two Britax star risers and an adult in the back seat of my B4. Three seats would be tight but doable in the Passat I think. Not that it helps you with your Jetta...
Sorry.

highhilltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta GLS
Do the newer Jetta/Golfs have the Latch in the back? My '00 has the European version but I can't get the latch straps on our Britax to reach. With just the belt I can't get the thing in very securely.

I don't know how you guys deal with cars and kids

OneBadBug

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle
We had a similar problem. Two carseats and a large ten year old. We ended up buying two of those booster seats that look like a small front bucket seat. They can be used as a booster with the car's lap/shoulder belt combo over kids weighing more than 40 lbs, but they also have their own 5 point harness (like alot of regular carseats) for use with kids under 40 lbs. Good luck!

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Do the newer Jetta/Golfs have the Latch in the back? My '00 has the European version but I can't get the latch straps on our Britax to reach. With just the belt I can't get the thing in very securely.
My Golf is a 2000 and the LATCH straps on our Graco SnugRide infant seat will reach. That seat will fit with the Britax boosters, too, but there is so little room betweent he seats that buckling the big kids in is really difficult.

Beowulf

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta, 1998, Green
May I suggest a Passat W8 wagon..everybody will have fun
I've been in the back of the new B5 Passats and don't think it is much wider than my A3 Jetta, certainly not wide enough to accomodate a 3rd car seat.