Radio upgrade

stamp11127

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 2003 Jetta 5sp 2005 Passat Wagon 5sp project
Wondering if anyone has installed a newer receiver with sirius, bu camera and hands free phone? If so, what brand, model and your opinion of it.
My wife's Fiat has them and they will spoil you over time.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I have a Parrot Asteroid Smart - installed 3yr ago, does all of the above except sirius. It works well, even got a conversion module to make the steering wheel controls function. The hands free is very reliable, BU camera is 90% - every so often it won't recognize the camera. The built in Nav is passable.

Since my number one requirement is good hands-free calling, I'm quite happy with it.

Drawbacks are that they are no longer made new, so would be hard to come by. I think there are a few threads on chinese-made android units - do some searching.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
This is only slightly relevant information. I installed a [FONT=&quot]Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS in my wife's Toyota minivan at Christmas time. I specifically got a unit that would also fit my Passat and hope to add it in the spring. I bought a cheap $20 Amazon back up camera. Installation was easy with the crutchfield kit and there were only 2 wires, plus the back up camera that needed to be wired off the harness. Crutchfield has kits for the steering wheel controls for VWs.This model has no Sirus, It works great and my wife loves it. [/FONT]

stamp11127

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 2003 Jetta 5sp 2005 Passat Wagon 5sp project
Thanks for the replies so far. I have been searching and comparing different models but it also helps to hear from others that have already swapped out units. One thing I've learned in my "old age" is to listen to peoples opinions especially when they have pointers or say "I wish I had done..."

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I installed a Kenwood into my brother in law;s 2013 Passat with all those features. Works and sounds great

I strongly recommend using Crutchfield. Very knowledgeable and no hassle returns if needed

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS tdi wagon
I installed a Kenwood DDX 372bt a while back. I thought the Monsoon stereo sounded good. This is a lot better and I have bluetooth and backup cam

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
Has anyone recently upgraded their stereo to an Apple CarPlay unit with steering wheel controls using the PAC C2R-VW2 adapter kit? My kit didn't come with instructions, nor do I see any dash plug for the steering wheel controls. I can only assume it was originally a Monsoon system since I have a control steering wheel and an amp in the back. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.