New Passat TDI confirmed for U.S.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Agreed

I had a dream last night that I was driving a Passat Wagon TDI around.
I wonder what that means? :confused:

To get the message across, maybe people should start going into the dealerships, ask to test drive a Passat WAGON TDI, and when they say there aren't any, but you can drive the JSW
or Passat sedan instead, simply say that's not what you're looking for and walk out.
:)

Also, what this B/S that a person must opt for the top most expensive trim level to get a DSG? :confused:

I do not want a sunroof nor do I need or desire 18 inch wheels.
I was able to buy my '10 JSW with DSG and no S/R and factory stock 16 inch wheels,
so why do I have to spend 33 large to get a Passat TDI sedan with
many options I do not want and costs too much? :confused: :mad:

So this pricing structure is how VW 'thinks' they will sell 800K vehicles to Americans?
I think not! :( One wonders how long before someone wises up? :confused:

:D

D

Smaug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with DSG and Sunroof
Sunroof standard on TDIs? That is not good news since I am very tall and usually avoid the sunroof for extra headroom.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not standard. But if you want an automatic you have to get a sunroof. Good thing I don't like automatics or sunroofs.

Seacoaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG
I checked the new Passat out yesterday, the dealer to me that the wagon was by no means out of the question. He said they were going to ramp up sedan production, then decide on the wagon around December, may be pure speculation, but he was not hesitant in anyway.....I will say it is a big car, I may put my wife in the JSW and trade the Q7, I take the passat tdi sel....

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Not standard. But if you want an automatic you have to get a sunroof. Good thing I don't like automatics or sunroofs.
Accroding to the VW website, you can get a DSG without the sunroof. Runs $28665 (US). The 2 option packages are sunroof and nav or SEL.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I now see that, too. So what's all this complaining about having to get a sunroof with DSG? Did VW change the configuration?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Previously, the options were, IIRC:

Manual
DSG+sunroof+nav

Maybe a couple more options, but that was pretty much it.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
Here are the TDI trim levels, according to the Passat brochure:

SE: manual

SE with sunroof: DSG

SE with sunroof and nav: DSG, 18" wheels

SEL: DSG, 18" wheels

So, unless you're getting a manual, the sunroof is standard.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Of course, one rule with VW... the website is not necessarily right.

If the website was to be believed, the base model 2006 Passat was a B5.5 TDI, and you could also get a B6 2.0T or 3.6. ;)

Volkstraktor

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
Not that I'd trust VW again, period. BUT, not being able to get either of the 2 colors
that I'd want (1. Lt Blue 2. Tungsten) with a Grey interior pretty much settles it for me.
No Black, and DEFINITELY NO Cornhole Beige... Too Bad - or not...

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
The analog clock is supposed to give it a "more luxurious air"

It's just a clock and there should be one in the mfd display and probably the radio display. How many do we need?
Yeah, I know. VW seems to be proud of the clock, but my friend and I both thought it was rather silly before we even saw the car in person. It's hardly something I'd base a purchasing decision on (not liking it), but -- as with the wood accents -- it just doesn't fit well with the rest of the interior. Anachronistic bits... An analog clock could look a lot more upscale than the one they implemented, too.

I wasn't too impressed, either, with the large amount of aluminum around the automatic shifter in the SE. It seemed excessive. In a Passat with the light grey interior (rather than black) it probably looks better. But, this is minor stuff, of course.

I think things could be more refined -- focused on integration/elegance and usability/intuitiveness -- and less on gadgetry. But, the only real issue, which I do think needs attention, is the noise from the climate system's fans (and lack of air flow to go with it).

Not that I'd trust VW again, period. BUT, not being able to get either of the 2 colors
that I'd want (1. Lt Blue 2. Tungsten) with a Grey interior pretty much settles it for me.
No Black, and DEFINITELY NO Cornhole Beige... Too Bad - or not...
I would want a light blue one with the gray interior, too.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
So on the TDI with DSG you can order a package that's sunroof and navigation. However, it already has the sunroof. So it's really navigation only.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
So on the TDI with DSG you can order a package that's sunroof and navigation. However, it already has the sunroof. So it's really navigation only.
Navigation (RNS 315), 18" wheels, MDI with iPod cable, fog lights, chrome side moldings and bumper accents.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
I would want the $19,999 model with TDI and manual tranny. That other $10k worth of do dads I don't want.
2.5L – S (man)- $19,995

That's gas, not TDI.

TDI – SE-$25,995

17” alloy wheels, V-Tex leatherette seating, 8-way power driver seat,
heated front seats, touchscreen Premium VIII radio, Multi-Function
leather-wrapped steering wheel, aluminum trim dash and middle
console, exterior chrome window trim, sliding front center armrest

TDI – SE w Sunroof-$27,895+ DSG
link

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Exactly. I want a no options at all tdi manual. Seems you can't ever get a tdi unless they load it up with $5k to $10k worth of "options" first. It is a depreciating asset and no reason to expend all that extra money for a bunch of useless fluff. I would take manual seats/windows/locks everything and no radio. The only extra I wouldn't do without is AC. I guess I will have to settle for my lightly used NB still. The wife will be disappointed as she wanted the new Passat instead of the NB, which she hates.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
And the best way to think of it is, the other doo-dads don't cost VW anything. (The only reason the 2.5 S doesn't have them is to advertise a low base price to get people in the door, and VW makes a hell of a lot more on a 2.5 SE than on a 2.5 S.)

So, you're paying for the dual EGR system, the DPF, the urea system, etc., etc., and getting the options for free.

One way to go may be to delete the emissions equipment, and sell it to someone whose emissions equipment has failed and needs cheap equipment to pass emissions. Then, meet up with a 2.5 S owner and downgrade your car, upgrade theirs. It doesn't make financial sense for VW to do that, but it can make financial sense for you to do that yourself after the fact.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
4. Replace Fender with Dynaudio (for next year's model).
QUOTE]

Dynaudio is not impressive in VW applications. Recognition of the Dynaudio brand in North America is very low.
Fender is a significant improvement IMHO. Monsoon, Dynaudio, Fender change on the "branding" and Panasonic remains the supplier of most of VW's audio components.:(

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Sorry no. I am not buying a new car and chopping it up. I'm not saying I expect to pay $19,999 for it. I figure a no options model at maybe $23k. I think they could sub the TDI into it for that much. The gas engine and its pollution control devices should offset some of the cost. Even if the options were free, I wouldn't want them. Just more stuff to peel off and break. I want a basic car, not the Taj Mahal. A big basic sedan would be ideal.

Last edited:

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
Of course, one rule with VW... the website is not necessarily right.

If the website was to be believed, the base model 2006 Passat was a B5.5 TDI, and you could also get a B6 2.0T or 3.6. ;)

The website is insane. The Trims & Specs table lists a vast number of features as "optional" for the TDI SE, and then the configurator shows a few of them (leather seats, big wheels) as no-cost options - they merely require the purchase of the SEL package...

That a car manufactured in the US would have this package nonsense is unbelievable.
I understand that in the case of the TDI, they're basically covering up the high additional cost of the engine by giving you the SE features essentially at cost or less. But this produces, besides having you (feel like you) pay for a bunch of options you don't want but which won't hurt to have either, the terrible lack of a choice of cloth seats.

Nobody around the factory in southern TN could figure out that in the Southeast, vinyl or $4300-leather but no cloth might be a killer for many potential buyers? Do they think they're only selling base models to poor folks and SELs to show-offs here?

I ponder talking to the seat manufacturer (near the factory) about a good deal on cloth surfaces (and power passenger mechanism while at it), but it's going to be $$$ no matter what since there's no way to trade in the stock seats once a car is bought from a dealer.

Packaging the DSG, which the masses will generally demand, with the sunroof, however, is just mean. How much less would just the DSG cost?

The dealer here has a 2.5 SE so far in the showroom only, so I haven't felt how bad the vinyl feels in the sun. It is noticeably less "slidy" than leather, so maybe it'll be the worst of both worlds - have the seat pull your pants when you get in like cloth seats, but sweat like on a leather seat!
The test-drivable TDI is a black SEL with black leather, which felt so awful in the afternoon heat (getting in my leather-seated car after work reminded me to go for this test drive...) the salesdude remote-started it and wanted to give me a tour of the engine compartment while it cooled down, which I didn't fall for. Interestingly, the engine idled very quietly, but shook and vibrated much more than on my 01 'Golf.

Driving the car, it felt fine. I'd never driven a DSG before, so the split second after letting off the brake before it starts creeping will take just a little bit of getting used to. This bodes well for clutch life. Just stepping on it, as mentioned, there is no delay. Perhaps because it's like somebody else clutching for you instead of a torque converter suddenly stalling, it doesn't require crampingly gentle foot movement for a passenger-friendly gentle start the way our LT1 cars demand, very nice.

Strange problem, which I hope is a matter of selecting lesser cars as demos and not the standard result:
The black paint had what for lack of a better word can only describe as terrible orange peel, but with roughly 1/8" pattern spacing. Pineapple peel? Looked terrible, particularly compared to the properly painted door handle.
If this is the standard result of their paintshop greenwashing, they're in trouble.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Exactly. I want a no options at all tdi manual. Seems you can't ever get a tdi unless they load it up with $5k to $10k worth of "options" first. It is a depreciating asset and no reason to expend all that extra money for a bunch of useless fluff. I would take manual seats/windows/locks everything and no radio. The only extra I wouldn't do without is AC. I guess I will have to settle for my lightly used NB still. The wife will be disappointed as she wanted the new Passat instead of the NB, which she hates.
I agree, although in a car as big as the Passat I don't know that I'd want crank windows. I can reach 3 of the 4 windows in my Jetta Wagon, but I bet I wouldn't be able to reach the passenger side front window in the Passat. The dog would be unhappy.

What you want (and I want) is what I got in my '02 wagon. Cloth seats, crank windows, manual mirrors, base stereo, A/C, cruise, steel wheels, no sunroof. Simpler, lighter, less stuff to break. I wish I could get a Golf like that.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Exactly! It is so hot here in Texas 6 to 9 months out of the year that AC use only is mandated. Opening the windows is horrid! You could almost do away with roll down windows at all except for the few "perfect" days. I drive the 98 BMW 328i convertible on those days. ;)

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
That a car manufactured in the US would have this package nonsense is unbelievable.
What does place of manufacture have to do with it? Europe gets the JSW/Golf wagon with a phonebook-like a la carte option list - and they are made in Mexico.

1.4 gas engine with xenons and RNS510?
1.6 TDI with AWD and two-tone leather?
1.2 TSI? 1.4 Twincharger? 2.0 TDI? Color information display? Park assist? Silver or black roof rails? RNS315 or RNS510 nav or RCD210, RCD310 or RCD510 radio, with or without iPod or USB interface, digital radio and "Volkswagen Sound" system? Three different Bluetooth systems, one with rSAP? Aux heater? Several styles of 16", 17" or 18" wheels? Standard, lowered or lifted suspension?
Just mix and match whatever you want.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Exactly! It is so hot here in Texas 6 to 9 months out of the year that AC use only is mandated. Opening the windows is horrid! You could almost do away with roll down windows at all except for the few "perfect" days. I drive the 98 BMW 328i convertible on those days. ;)
In the Northeast we have toll booths, parking garages that require you take tickets, things like that. Windows go up and down. Even with an EasyPass for tolls you end up cranking the window up and down at some point.

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
What does place of manufacture have to do with it? Europe gets the JSW/Golf wagon with a phonebook-like a la carte option list - and they are made in Mexico.

1.4 gas engine with xenons and RNS510?
1.6 TDI with AWD and two-tone leather?
1.2 TSI? 1.4 Twincharger? 2.0 TDI? Color information display? Park assist? Silver or black roof rails? RNS315 or RNS510 nav or RCD210, RCD310 or RCD510 radio, with or without iPod or USB interface, digital radio and "Volkswagen Sound" system? Three different Bluetooth systems, one with rSAP? Aux heater? Several styles of 16", 17" or 18" wheels? Standard, lowered or lifted suspension?
Just mix and match whatever you want.

Of course. But VW has given as a reason for all the packages and the resulting small numbers of possible combinations that they want to greatly increase the chance of the combination you "want" being in stock at a dealer. Which is of course nonsense for multiple reasons: What it increases is the chance that the combo you decide to buy (which is unlikely to be exactly what you really want) is already in stock. And the reason I think it's stupid, since actual manufacture and then shipping of the car inside this country wouldn't take all that long - the delay being the apparent problem they're trying to avoid.

What's a little different here is that on one hand, most dealers really just want you to buy what's on the lot, as they (are forced to?) buy a large number of cars to the point where they have clearances of on-the-lot cars at the end of officially delineated model years. On the other hand, you often get the impression (at least I do) that if you order a car to taste, you have less room to haggle than with an on-the-lot car the dealer is trying to get rid of.

I don't know that folks here are really less willing to wait on the delivery of a car, but that is the impression makers and dealers here seem to be under, at least regarding appliance-class cars that VW is trying to compete with.

On the note of less haggle room for ordered cars, my father haggled himself a fine deal on a Rav4 in Germany recently, which included the replacement of soon-to-be-illegal all-season stock tires with serious winter tires. (He got a warning about insurance claim denial due to all-seasons from a repair shop, which happened to save him from the winter tire shortage due to the law change. His particular tire size, and the Rav4, were mentioned in the press as particular hard to find tires for...).
Though this car also had odd options packaging, he ended up with pretty much what he wanted, an excellent price set at the time of order (apparently not the case with VW here) with no downpayment, and 2+ months delivery time.
The situation being what is was, the dealer did try to trick him into sticking with what would clearly turn out to be illegal tires, so he refused to pick the car up until they replaced them...

Why VW thinks people wouldn't deal with 2-3 weeks wait time to get exactly what they wanted is unfathomable, other than their desire to hide the tru cost of a TDI engine.

Options packaging used to give you a discount on groups of commonly ordered options, which merely could save you some money and increase in-stock percentages for car with popular options groups. It didn't use to make perfectly reasonable choices impossible.

VW.de offers many many variations of cloth seats, and no vinyl to be had, not even on a Polo.
Have I mentioned "leatherette" enough? I can't help but think that they'll lose many TDI sales because of this crap, at least in areas of the US where it gets very hot and/or very cold. 30-40% of the country, perhaps?
Having even the 2.5l demo in SE trim doesn't help with this problem, either.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Maybe I missed something but the Passat does NOT come with the RNS-315...it comes with the RNS-510 if you get the NAV package.

Big Red

Veteran Member
The SE option is what is available. These are sticker prices don't forget to negotiate. Also, we have always paid a bit of a premium for the TDI right.

I ordered the base Passat SE in color of choice. Since I wanted manual there were not options to select from. After making the deal, I was offered the option to upgrade to 18" wheels and elected to do so for a better ride at a bit of a hit on MPG I bet. I'll keep folks posted when I get it.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
A Better Ride with 18 Inch Wheels

. . . I was offered the option to upgrade to 18" wheels and elected to do so for
a better ride at a bit of a hit on MPG I bet. I'll keep folks posted when I get it.
:)

In a word WHY? :confused:

A better ride you think? You 'think' that you will get a 'better' ride with a lower profile tire? :p :(

:D

D