New Passat TDI confirmed for U.S.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Also, the Passat isn't decontented like the Jetta. Even the base model will have 4 wheel disc brakes & IRS, and there looks like a lot of options (or standard on SE and SEL) that the Jetta doesn't even offer anymore, such as dual zone AC, leather, more radio/nav options, power seats (both sides), etc.
So there are differences beyond size...

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
"admittedly B5.5 steering was especially heavy and made my arms sore as well"

If power steering is too hard for some of the gals here, hit the weights and build some muscle.;)
I can't imagine what my stang's unpowered steering would do to you.:D
Signed, Sally.:p

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
So there are differences beyond size...

I'll be interested in comparing the out going passat to the new passat and a list of what features remain and what features were cut to knock the price down.

My guess if the 2012 Passat TDI is priced similarly to the current 2011 Passat, the new passat will have a few things missing.

wainair

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf mkiv/ 2006 smart CDI
I also see that taillights appear to be non-LED. That's good. In our climate, when driving in a snowstorm, LED tails are a major fail. They don't generate any heat, and the snow sticks to them essentially making them barely visible. When I drive my B6 on a snow-covered road or in a snowstorm, I always turn on my incandescent rear fog which keeps warm enough to not have snow stick to it.
That was something I had never considered. I guess it's a good thing there is the rear fog in there. But is that on both sides or just one?

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
"admittedly B5.5 steering was especially heavy and made my arms sore as well"
If power steering is too hard for some of the gals here, hit the weights and build some muscle.;)
I can't imagine what my stang's unpowered steering would do to you.:D
Signed, Sally.:p
My workouts are road cycling and snowshoeing in mountainous country. If I could steer with my legs, I'd be all set :D

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I imagine the TDI engine is now transverse on the new Passat?
Yep.

The only Passats that were longitudinal were the B1 (Dasher,) B2 (Quantum,) and B5. As a stretched Golf is cheaper for VW, and provided better product segmentation from Audi, it works.

chittychittybangbang

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Hmm.
The nose structure actually does look very, very similar. (To the point that I suspect the Euro headlights will swap right in.)
Most if not all the exterior is different. The head-taillights are also different. Almost all of the interior is different. The Euro-NA Passat are different cars.

I made a few comparison pictures but got tired of adding arrows, too many differences http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/...12-vw-passat-us-vs-europe-euro-trim-car-5142/ see my forum for the full list. Here is a sample.

Edit, made pic smaller

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
both look pretty damn good IMO

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I have to say from the profile pics I actually prefer the NA Passat. Want to see it in person, and I want an option list!

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
That is interesting, but I don't think we've probably lost out that much overall. We've gained diesel which is great.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
You watch: Americans will mod their Passats to look Euro and Europeans will mod to look American. I see this in the MKIII forums at Vortex. :D The grass is always greener on the other side of the pond. ;)

bhtooefr

TDI
None
For that matter, I recall Europeans being willing to pay $1000 for a Westmoreland Mk2 grille and core support.

At the time, the grille was $80, like $15 for the VW badge, the core support was $250, and some Hella H4 sealed beam replacements were around $90 or so.

ekkoh99

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat WGN TDI
Will the 2012 Passat TDI have the 2.0 common rail engine with 16 valves found in the current Golf and Jetta or will VW put in the 8 valve TDI engine found in the 2004-05 Passat?

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Will the 2012 Passat TDI have the 2.0 common rail engine with 16 valves found in the current Golf and Jetta or will VW put in the 8 valve TDI engine found in the 2004-05 Passat?
I think it is a fair assumption that all US spec jetta/passat tdi's will be 2.0/ 16v common rail from now on, until some better is developed.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
The 8v engine is completely different design, and wouldn't pass emissions. For one thing it isn't CR but PD. Roughly the same HP and torque curve though (a little less power in the 8V but a little more torque), but not as fuel efficient.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
OK, that's just ridiculous. :D

(Hasn't it been determined that 4v/cyl is best for flow, nowadays, and any area advantages of more valves per cylinder are outweighed by the complexity of the valvetrain, and necessary thickness of valve stems?)

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Yes, that's the consensus. The picture is not just for fun. Honda built a racing motorcycle engine with 8V per cylinder using oval pistons. VW and others have also done non-round piston engines as well.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
For that matter, VW even experimented with oval bores in the 1.6 NA diesel, to get a 2.3 NA diesel (which might be what you're referring to. The idea was to avoid having to get a turbo, while still fitting in a Golf, because a turbodiesel was EXPENSIVE back then - apparently, an 83 Rabbit Diesel was around $7k, an 83 Rabbit Turbodiesel was around $11k.)

(Side note: They decided that was a bad idea due to wear issues, IIRC, so they then decided to rip off Lancia's narrow-angle V4 design, to fit a 2.3L V6 diesel into a Golf. They had problems with the combination of the long exhaust runners, and the IDI prechambers heating the head too much... so the 2.3L narrow-angle V6 diesel became a 2.4L narrow-angle V6 gas engine, and then became the 2.8L VR6.)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Saw this today at the Detroit Auto Show. Very, very nice. Nearly as roomy in back as a B4, interior finish superior to the new Jetta and the Golf, real fuel gauge and a temp gauge. Nice. No pricing on the show cars, except estimates in mid-20s to low 30s.

This car is a find, and unique with its large interior, small engine, and manual transmission. Like a current version of the B4.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Actually, it's the other way around.

US Passat, handbrake in the center console, towards the bottom of the photo and to the left.

Euro Passat (actually, the previous-gen US/Euro Passat is the same interior and all - this is just a facelift,) parking brake as a button on the left side of the center console, as well as a button to activate a hill holder.

My impressions were that interior quality was far superior to the Mk6 Jetta, and about on par, maybe slightly worse than the Mk6 Golf. You can tell where they've cheapened it, but it's not bad at all. The target market will most likely be happy with it, and it won't piss off American enthusiasts, I think.

Last edited: