FAQ: 2009 - 2010 TDI-specific issues

pyropete

TDI
2000 jetta TDI 1 owner 465k
Dan

Thanks for reply, Yes it has Total 5-30 VW507.0 oil, Changed it the day I got it.

I`m not sure where the turbo boost sensor is. I will go over the wiring .
Not sure of the intercooler either, as this is a totally new car for me, but at least I think I know where it is. Next time I can get it up on hoist I will drain them both.

I also heard that the EGR valve could affect this code, perhaps I should check it for carbon?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Pyro,
You should probably ask the moderator to move this to its own thread; we should not clutter up this one.

Another option would just be for you to start a thread in the Mk V forum, copy your first and third post into it, then delete our entries here. I would copy my post into your new thread as well.

bugal73

TDI
sportwagon
squeaking rear brake.

Yes from day one when new for the first few stops after parking it. Now at 114,000 miles, it still does it. But it's still wears the same pads.

bugal73

TDI
sportwagon
no running 09 tdi

Was told after 114,000 mi. icing before the Intercooler caused this $1,000 repair bill. This happens!!!!! There goes my fuel savings.Now @$3.95 for diesel and $3.29 for reg. It.s back to gasoline for me. When I started buying diesel it was 10 cents more than reg. If I get 30 mpg. driving something gas, it's almost the same.Do the math:confused:

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
I have had such good luck with my 2000 TDI ALH that I recently purchased a used 2009 TDI with DSG and 114 kilometers on the clock.
Ran flawlessly for 1 month and 3000 KM then the glow plug light started flashing while driving, a short while later the service engine light is on and car goes into limp mode. I was stuck miles from home and had to visit a local general mechanical shop.

They said it was showing a 16621 turbo boost sensor code. and could not find anything really amiss

, so they erased the code and car ran fine and has for the last week.
I am now paranoid that it will do this again and leave me stuck in the COLD (yes I`m in the frozen north)
Any ideas on where or what to check while I wait for this to happen again.

I will try to get it in to a vw shop with a proper vagcom next time.
what you've describe happened to me and 1-2 weeks later i heard a pop and a whining low-powered motor that i limped to a dealer(luckily without oil intake damage). no pressure detected and i think they claimed exhaust flap issue so...new turbo and a couple thou in expense. moral:don't wait till next time and don't hope the problem will just go away. get it checked out NOW!
(i'm not normally this bossy but i genuinely don't want what happened to me to happen to you)

Last edited:

BlueJay83

TDI
'10 JSW, '84 Land Rover D110 Pick Up
Looking at buying a '09 tdi Jetta Wagon DSG w/ 135k mi. Owner ran thru all of the minor maintenance issues that he has repaired over the last few years, but the final comment got my attention. If I have it right, he said that the check engine light came on, so he ran the codes himself. He said that one of the codes had to do with replacing the filter in the exhaust system. It cleared, so he wasn't too concerned, but contacted the dealer to be sure. The VW dealer indicated that the filter (and housing?) may need to be replaced, and the estimate was $2400? If anyone has experience with this, I'd love the input.
I drive an '03 Golf tdi and really enjoy it's simplicity. I had a pothole mishap last week and blew the right side airbags. Having it looked at tomorrow, but would like an updated 2nd car for my commute.
Thanks in advance,
Brad

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
That is a concern with the common rail engines.

I just had my 2010 fail to regenerate.

It was completely covered by VW. It cost VW about $5,700 to remove and replace the original DPF, and both catalytic converters. Once this is done, you have 3 separate components that can be replaced individually, so it would be much easier and cheaper.

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf 6MT, 01 NB 5MT shell
Well, having read this thread beginning to end was enough to convince me to hang onto my 01 ALH 5 speed with 250k miles versus buy a nice manually tranny one owner MK5 with 100k. Glad I went looking here for the collective wisdom before making a decision. Thanks!

tm09tdisportwagen

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Glow plugs at 80,000 miles - is this too soon?

I have a 2009 TDI Sportwagen Manual transmission with 80,000 miles. The engine light just came on and the dealer says that one glow plug is bad and suggests to replace all of them, because once one goes they all go in a short matter of time. Looking for any feedback here. Thanks.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I have a 2009 TDI Sportwagen Manual transmission with 80,000 miles. The engine light just came on and the dealer says that one glow plug is bad and suggests to replace all of them, because once one goes they all go in a short matter of time. Looking for any feedback here. Thanks.
I know several people who have had a glow plug fail (usually it is the pressure sensor that fails) and they replaced the one glow plug. The other ones have not failed. Your dealer just wants to make more money by replacing them all. First verify that it is the GP (and not the wiring) by swapping 2 glow plugs and clearing the fault. If the fault comes back on the same cylinder - it is a wiring harness issue. Usually it will move to the new location which tells you it is the GP itself. They cost between $90 and $120 depending on where you buy them and they are actually pretty easy to replace. In my opinion, you only need to replace the one that failed.

Have Fun!

Don

ZombieTortuga

TDI
none... yet
4 years removed how are things?

I've gained a ton of info from this forum and this thread specifically while looking to buy our first TDI so thank you to all of those out there who have contributed!

It does seem as though there is little current info for the 2010's, I know they are still only 4 or 5 years old but does anyone a longevity report thus far on their 2010? I'm looking to buy a 2010 with 46K and it would be great to get some info from current owners with that many or more miles.

Thanks for anything you've got!

wsktdi

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon
My 2010 now has 65K on it. The sunroof leaked and was repaired under warranty. The radio died and had to be replaced under my extended warranty. Other than those two items I have had no problems. It's a great car.

Paulinski

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta Wagon Highline
I know several people who have had a glow plug fail (usually it is the pressure sensor that fails) and they replaced the one glow plug. The other ones have not failed. Your dealer just wants to make more money by replacing them all. First verify that it is the GP (and not the wiring) by swapping 2 glow plugs and clearing the fault. If the fault comes back on the same cylinder - it is a wiring harness issue. Usually it will move to the new location which tells you it is the GP itself. They cost between $90 and $120 depending on where you buy them and they are actually pretty easy to replace. In my opinion, you only need to replace the one that failed.

Have Fun!

Don
Agreed Don.

I had GP fail on my 09 (pressure sensor failure) dealer first swapped the glow plug to a different cylinder cleared the code and send me on my way. CEL came back few weeks later dealer replaced the offending GP.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Replacing HPFP

For those of us reaching 120-140K plus miles, has anyone replaced or is thinking about replacing their HPFP? I keep kicking this idea around since I want to keep my car another 3-4 years. Major repairs done.... timing belt, intake manifold, turbo, radiator fan, and several door locks. Also had a DPF delete, Malone tune, and DSG tune. Car runs like a champ! Looking down the road and/or trying to take some precautionary measures. A HPFP meltdown at this stage would really REALLY piss me off! Trying to avoid that.

Looking at long-term and reliability, does anyone think it's wise to go ahead and replace the HPFP with a car that has 140K miles on it? Does VW warranty a new HPFP the same way they are honoring or covering the OEM HPFP?

Thoughts/suggestions.... (moderator- plz move post if you feel it belongs elsewhere)

Last edited:

Aria

TDI
2015 Golf
Section # 18 of your Tread

I have the exact issue with my Jetta 09 TDI, DSG will occasionally go into Neutral while they are driving (with flashing PRNDS) I see the recall for this issue released on Aug 9, 2009, the recall details the defect exact as you explained. when I called VW customer service, they look up my VIN # and said that my car is listed on this recall .... Don't know what do :D

Tuco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
For those of us reaching 120-140K plus miles, has anyone replaced or is thinking about replacing their HPFP? I keep kicking this idea around since I want to keep my car another 3-4 years. Major repairs done.... timing belt, intake manifold, turbo, radiator fan, and several door locks. Also had a DPF delete, Malone tune, and DSG tune. Car runs like a champ! Looking down the road and/or trying to take some precautionary measures. A HPFP meltdown at this stage would really REALLY piss me off! Trying to avoid that.

Looking at long-term and reliability, does anyone think it's wise to go ahead and replace the HPFP with a car that has 140K miles on it? Does VW warranty a new HPFP the same way they are honoring or covering the OEM HPFP?e
Your HPFP has lasted 140K miles. I would say it has proven itself to be reliable. Why would you want to risk replacing a perfectly reliable part with one that may or not be reliable? If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

09 VW TDI

TDI
2009 2.0 tdi Jetta
2009 vw jetta Mt tdi warning light.

So my windshield washer fluid warning comes on prompting me to add fluid, problem is its topped off. any suggestions.

Dreadsen

TDI
4 door 1985 Golf tdi
Hello Everyone. I currently own a 1985 Golf Diesel. But due to winter problems would like to buy a 2009 Jetta TDI. There's one i found that has 245,000 miles on it. What kind of issues would i possibly face getting one with this high of miles? Or should i NOT get this due to the miles?

sprinks

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta tdi (gone); now mk7 gti
09 is a touchy year for many users on the forum. First year of the new engine design for vw known as common rail. It also had a 1 piece Diesel particulate filter (dpf) which is fine at first glance, but makes replacing (or upgrading to the 2 piece, which is what 2010 and up used) quite costly. I imagine with that many miles it's been driven nearly all of it's life on highways, so it probably has a lower particulate load, but if i were you i'd have it looked at by a diesel guru what the filter loading is at. Does it have the DSG or manual transmission? Has it had its high pressure fuel pump replaced? Timing belts replaced at regular intervals?

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Hello Everyone. I currently own a 1985 Golf Diesel. But due to winter problems would like to buy a 2009 Jetta TDI. There's one i found that has 245,000 miles on it. What kind of issues would i possibly face getting one with this high of miles? Or should i NOT get this due to the miles?
The question to be answered is what is the price? Has regular maintenance been done ( confirmed by receipts)? With this many miles, I wouldn't pay more that $4,500 for the car.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
This is under the category of I did not know that.

noticed for the first time today, that the key has an LED that lights up when you press the button. I just don't think I ever looked at the key when I pressed the button. lots of times look at the car, to make sure it locks when i leave it, or unlock it so my wife can get some gizmo she left in the car, just do not ever remember looking at the key.

guess that is from learning to touch type. don't look at what my fingers do, but what the results are.

this is up there with the steering column that goes in and out, and the lock on the gas door that operates with the car door locks.

cracklepop

TDI
2009 Jetta sedan, manual trans.
THANK YOU to everyone that took the time to write out, direct towards links, recorded video, etc... on how to change the timing belt on my 2009 Jetta TDI (bought it with 129k and after some checking I found out the tb wasn't changed or no documentation. at 120k). It was definitely a learning experience with my last vehicle being a 2002 Jeep Liberty (owned for 13 years, did all maintenance but due to living in occupied californistan the air ****s require the stealership to sell and replace the 3 catalyic converters for $3000 which is much more than the vehicle was worth with 250k). But alas it's finished and now I must learn how to change the oil (oil canister with filter like an old 53 dodge pick up I had in high school) and fuel filter (same type canister with filter inside). Anyway, I learned A LOT and saved even more money. Btw, I even paid 9.99 to join myturbodiesel.com to support them and I'd like to do the same for this site. If you can't tell I'm very appreciative of the work that was put into these sites to help us all.
Once again, thank you.
Cracklepop

C3156

Veteran Member
TDI
All sold
Looking at long-term and reliability, does anyone think it's wise to go ahead and replace the HPFP with a car that has 140K miles on it? Does VW warranty a new HPFP the same way they are honoring or covering the OEM HPFP?

Thoughts/suggestions.... (moderator- plz move post if you feel it belongs elsewhere)
Mine went at 157k and I thought I was good. I would recommend either you replace the unit or at a minimum buy 2micron's contain kit to keep the metal from going everywhere.

C3156

Veteran Member
TDI
All sold
I figured that I since have a 2009 and a 2010 TDI, I would post a list of issues that I have had with these two vehicles. Unfortunately most are documented on this site as known issues with these cars.

2009:

A/C Compressor died and filled system with metal
Bad glow plug
Drivers side door electrical gremlin - Common VW issue
Radio died - CRC HARDWARE FAULT
Intake flap valve - P2015
Exhaust flap valve - P047F
High Pressure Fuel Pump died and filled fuel system with metal- Well known, VW warranty extended to 10yr/120,000 miles

2010:

Sun roof drains leaked - VW lost a class action for this item
Touch screen radio died
Intake flap valve - P2015
Exhaust flap valve - P047F
DFP cracked - P0407 w/ black soot in the exhaust

No particular order and I don't want to document how much all of these have cost me. Most of the issues happened outside of the original 3yr/36,000 mile warranty and VW denied repair. Based on that and general reliability, I would be hesitant to ever purchase another VW. This is coming from previously owning a Toyota that never had a single issue in the 10 years I owned the car.

Last edited:

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
I've looked around the site and am trying to learn more about my 2010 Jetta 6M. I just picked it up a couple weeks ago - has 122k on it. Occasionally the car feels like it's running rough - at idle on a cold start and even idling at a stop light. When it acts like this it even feels like while I'm cruising that it's hesitating (feels like a misfire in an old V8). It's not consistently doing it every day. I like the car so far but I'm scratching my head when it comes to this lumpy idle/hesitation driving. Can anyone direct me to a link to read up on this? What other info can I provide here? I've driven an 03 ALH for the past 8 years so getting used to a 2010 is like a whole new world.

MHC48

TDI
2009 TDI DSG
Wondering how many '09 Common Rail early posters are left on the Board who still have their TDI. Trying to decide what to do now that the class action appears to be settled. I imagine many of us have similar experiences, mileage and buyback numbers. I still really like my TDI a lot (it's been very good to me in many ways) and I never had any of the major or $$ problems others have) in over 121k miles.

Thing is, I've got even more wear and tear on me than my TDI, (although both well maintained) and don't do as much mileage as I used to. I think I'd really like some of those new electronic safety features VW and Subaru in particular have as options these days. The $12-13k could get me pretty close on a gasser.

jeneric

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Still here with our '10 Jetta TDI....not sure for how long though. Wondering about all the rumors I've been reading about the possible buy back, etc...w/165k miles and counting I'm not expecting a windfall of cash but possibly a good deal on a new Golf would be entertained...

Rodya

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI; 2009 VW Rabbit and 2013 VW Golf Gasser
2009 Still Alive

106500 on my 2009. Will probably keep for another 10K; looking at GTI or Golf SE gasser.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Note: This thread is NOT about any dieselgate related subjects. Please keep all discussions about buybacks, fixes, and replacement vehicles in the Dieselgate forum. If these off topic posts continue in this thread, this thread will get locked. All Dieselgate related discussions belong in the new "diesegate" forum here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99

Have Fun!

Don

pcharnish

TDI
2010 jetta tdi
hopefuully i can get some help here my 2010 jetta what the lihgt that looks like an engine come on and i took it to a mechanic and they scaned it and it said boost cylander and they werent fermillerr with vws so they called one of hter friends who works a local vw and thereand extended warenty on it it the throttle assembly on the egr velve and they recomended that i call the local dealer and take it there under warrenty i just called the local w dealership and i told them what it was and of course they said that they would need to scan it but i was they seemed to think that it wasnt under warrenty any advice please would help it has under 70000km on it