Low brake pedal on Jetta

durban97

Hi ! I have a 2003 Jetta TDI, bought new. The brake pedal seems to have a lot of travel, although the brakes work very well. Mileage is 30,000. Checked the rear pads, about 3/16th of an inch left before metal. The front pads have a lot more pad area left.The rotors are fine as well, front and rear.
Brake fluid level is fine.

I believe its time for a brake fluid change and replacement of the rear pads.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Frank

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
It's been my experience that these cars have long pedal travel, not to be confused with a soft pedal. Since your pads are nearing replacement, you be noticing it even more.

Have you done your (bi-annual) brake bleeding?

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
I bought my daughter a 2001 Jetta 2 years ago. I was never happy with the brake pedal (just felt there was too much travel). When I bought it they installed all pads and rotors, it brought the pedal up some but still not to where it should be. I recently flushed the fluid thoroughly with absolutely no improvement in the pedal. When I bought the car I took out an extended warranty policy so I figured I would bring it in to have it checked out. The Dealer diagnosed the Master Cylinder as needing to be replaced. I feel much better knowing that as I have never been happy with the brakes on it.