Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I guess its possible if it was prior to the cut-off for eligibility hey?
Yes, if you find a way to go back in time and buy the car out of it's lease before Sept 2015, then it works. However if you do solve the time travel paradox, claiming eligible owner status in the VW settlement is probably not your highest priority.

But the ONLY way to be an eligible owner, in Canada is to have done that. Bought the car prior to the scandal.

Unlike the US, where the person who owns the car right now is the eligible owner, regardless of when, how, who they bought it.

konamon

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Like the rest of you I have read all 337 pages but cannot remember if I read what VW is doing with the new 2015 Jetta TDI "to make them new". My first encounter with the salesman said they would be changing the tires, replacing calipers, oil change, etc. My 2nd visit with the salesman told me that they weren't changing the tires because for the last 2 years they claim the cars were moved a bit and then the next month same process. I said that must have been a bit tricky moving them around in all the snow, no response. As far as the rest of the stuff he said he didn't know. I then contacted VW who told me to contact the dealer for this information. I thought I would turn to you folks to see if you could help me.

settings

TDI
1985, 1993, 1999, 2005, 2009 Jetta
You must be the first, from QC, on this forum.
I never got the "documents complete" email. Can't get a straight answer out of RicePoint either. So I am worried that our file is stuck in limbo because something on the portal isn't working right.
I never called, but it did seem like it was stuck in limbo with no communication.
The emails were 24 hrs apart. I thought it was strange to confirm "documents complete" twelve days later, but it may be one process that they truly "finalized" the documents and send the offer all in one shot (speculation).

haunruh

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GOLF TDI/DSG Wagon
My progress thus far:
Apr. 28 – created account; confirmed Apr. 28 9:38 am, validated Apr. 28 5:22 pm
Apr 28 – Submitted documents; confirmed receipt Apr. 28 6:52 pm
May 4 – Documents Complete (green check marks), confirmed (email twice) 8:31 am and again May 5 4:36 pm
May 11 – received 2 identical emails - Notice of Approval of VW Class Action (why so late??)
May 16 – called Ricepoint to ask status; was informed something wrong with $ amount to be given
May 18 – called Ricepoint again, status still the same; asked to expedite the claim since upcoming vacation; he indicated he had put on an "escalation" request ....
Waiting .....

Ptplayers

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 6M with sports package
I just went back to step 8 and resubmitted , see if that pushes things along .

richyrich

TDI
2014 Touareg, 2015 Sportwagon (gone to the big emissions-lot in the sky)
I just went back to step 8 and resubmitted , see if that pushes things along .
Risky move IMO. Most likely that will set your "submitted date" as today and put you back of the line. Seems only fair if other people have submitted all their docs before you.

Ptplayers

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 6M with sports package
Well we know first in first out does not work as i originally submitted doc on the 28th when port first opened .

There have been people on this forum and the lovely Fb page who submitted after and had offers within a few days .

Really dont care anymore just seeing what happens .:)

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Like the rest of you I have read all 337 pages but cannot remember if I read what VW is doing with the new 2015 Jetta TDI "to make them new". My first encounter with the salesman said they would be changing the tires, replacing calipers, oil change, etc. My 2nd visit with the salesman told me that they weren't changing the tires because for the last 2 years they claim the cars were moved a bit and then the next month same process. I said that must have been a bit tricky moving them around in all the snow, no response. As far as the rest of the stuff he said he didn't know. I then contacted VW who told me to contact the dealer for this information. I thought I would turn to you folks to see if you could help me.
You are pretty much on your own on this one. There was no public 'list' of things that each dealer 'had' to do... not one outlining how they were supposed to be stored, nor what to do after.

That's probably why there's a big discount... so when your tires wear out 50% faster, or a coolant line cracks from rot, you have some spare money to fix it.

Some dealers had a list that they created to show buyers what they did. Some even jacked the PDI cost up to cover it...

Again, up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Assuming you can even find a 2015 left to buy.

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
You are pretty much on your own on this one. There was no public 'list' of things that each dealer 'had' to do... not one outlining how they were supposed to be stored, nor what to do after.

That's probably why there's a big discount... so when your tires wear out 50% faster, or a coolant line cracks from rot, you have some spare money to fix it.

Some dealers had a list that they created to show buyers what they did. Some even jacked the PDI cost up to cover it...

Again, up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Assuming you can even find a 2015 left to buy.
Hence why I am looking for a turned in one. I don't mind one that is unmaintained but driven :)

Scotsman

TDI
Golf, Touareg
Got through to the helpline today. Submitted 28 April, green checks for 2 weeks and on Monday I was 'escalated'. Call to find out progress. Same info as last week, ' you offer letter is being reviewed'. When I pointed that this was dragging on and many offers had been made to later submitters and that I would like to know what happened as a result of the escalation, the response was ' we have 4 months to make you an offer according to the agreement' then some words to the effect, don't call us, we'll call you. Wish there was another option but they own the process.

kodered

TDI
2012 Jetta
Got through to the helpline today. Submitted 28 April, green checks for 2 weeks and on Monday I was 'escalated'. Call to find out progress. Same info as last week, ' you offer letter is being reviewed'. When I pointed that this was dragging on and many offers had been made to later submitters and that I would like to know what happened as a result of the escalation, the response was ' we have 4 months to make you an offer according to the agreement' then some words to the effect, don't call us, we'll call you. Wish there was another option but they own the process.
Keep calling them back. I was in the same situation as you, last week they told me my offer letter was being reviewed (issued May 11th), and when I called today I was told that it was rejected, and that they had no reason listed. I requested a supervisor, and our famous forum friend "Kyle the supervisor" told me he would escalate it and that I should call back in 3-5 business days.

Called back later today because I get different stories from these people each time, magically got through the call queue in less than a minute because I accidently selected French. Lady on the end looked into it and said that they had made a mistake in the offer letter and are now drafting a new one.

I just wish they would give us status updates instead of us having to call them on a daily basis.

settings

TDI
1985, 1993, 1999, 2005, 2009 Jetta
Said I would give an update when there was movement...
  • Live in Quebec
  • Own my 2009 Jetta
  • Apr 28 Created account
  • Apr 29 Uploaded final document
  • May 6 Document status changed to "Document Complete" (green check marks)
  • May 18 Received email that documents were complete (ie. that the above happened 12 days earlier?)
  • May 19 Email that offer was ready (same as the estimate earlier in the process)
  • May 19 Printed, signed, and uploaded offer and release
I'll let you know how long until they validate and how far out the earliest appointment is.
BTW, these last couple of emails came in around midnihgt, thus it's likely a batch process that runs overnight
Received an email around 3pm on the same day that the offer letter was accepted and I could schedule an appointment.
Earliest available date was June 5th, and it didn't seem to matter as I tried a few dealerships. All dates and all times (every hour) was open.

n1d0n

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf tdi wolfsburg and 1986 toyota pickup SASed AHU tdi
Lol now I know people that requested their offer by mail and they recieved it. Wow

Motley

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I just received a call from the Co-ordinator at the dealership I had planned to return the car to, Cambridge VW. She told me that the car had to be in original factory condition with spare tyre and jack, owners manual, no winter tires, etc.

I thought the settlement stipulated that the thing only had to run under it's own power.

She asked if I was considering purchasing another VW? I told her "never again!"

Scotsman

TDI
Golf, Touareg
Keep calling them back. I was in the same situation as you, last week they told me my offer letter was being reviewed (issued May 11th), and when I called today I was told that it was rejected, and that they had no reason listed. I requested a supervisor, and our famous forum friend "Kyle the supervisor" told me he would escalate it and that I should call back in 3-5 business days.

Called back later today because I get different stories from these people each time, magically got through the call queue in less than a minute because I accidently selected French. Lady on the end looked into it and said that they had made a mistake in the offer letter and are now drafting a new one.

I just wish they would give us status updates instead of us having to call them on a daily basis.
Yup, got the same story last week. My letter was prepared but the review process found an error related to the mileage. Their's, not mine. So back it went into the shuffle for a new letter. Still waiting a week later. Also got a call from the dealership finance guy asking how things are going. I know the fellow so I tempered my response to 'just the facts ma'am'. They are helpless in this situation as well.

jbone14

TDI
14' Jetta Highline
I see everyone so far is either from Ontario or Quebec that has received a buy back date (could have missed someone). Has anyone from BC had an offer letter uploaded and ACCEPTED with a call back for a date? I uploaded my signed offer on May 16th and it is still under review...

Dydx

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I see everyone so far is either from Ontario or Quebec that has received a buy back date (could have missed someone). Has anyone from BC had an offer letter uploaded and ACCEPTED with a call back for a date? I uploaded my signed offer on May 16th and it is still under review...

I know there are people in BC who have buyback dates.

Soundguy

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Is there anyone out there who has a return date for their car that they are trading in for a 2015 TDI? Talked to my dealer today and he has 22 confirmed return buybacks starting May 25, but not one for someone who is trading in and buying a new 2015 TDI. I sent my offer in 2 weeks ago and am still waiting for a return date to trade my car in on a 2015 Passat TDI. I wonder if they are holding us back for some reason.

kodered

TDI
2012 Jetta
I just received a call from the Co-ordinator at the dealership I had planned to return the car to, Cambridge VW. She told me that the car had to be in original factory condition with spare tyre and jack, owners manual, no winter tires, etc.

I thought the settlement stipulated that the thing only had to run under it's own power.

According to #21 of the FAQ, as long as it's normal wear and tear or accidental damage, you should be ok. I suppose if your summer tires were unsafe for the road, then your winter tires would suffice

From the settlement site:

"Except for mileage, the physical condition of your Eligible Vehicle does not affect its
Vehicle Value (see Question 19) or Fair Market Value (see Question 20) as long as it is
due to normal wear and tear or accidental damage. Intentional damage, including
stripping of parts, may result in the Claims Administrator denying a claim for a Buyback
or Trade-In. If you have questions, please refer them to the Canadian Settlement Claims
Centre by calling 1-888-670-4773."

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Yup, Aug 25 1100am. Call back will occur 15-20 days prior.

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline

I guess in a way trying to say that original parts and stuff, and not to be removing anything that was included with the car?

I'm somewhat nervous about one of my TDIs. One of the summer wheels hit a bad pothole just before the winter and bent. VW at the time quoted something stupid like $600 for the wheel and upwards of $1000+ for wheel + tire + balance and install. I've put the spare on and sat the original in the trunk where the spare normally sits. From the exterior side of the wheel/tire it doesn't look bent at all. I'm hoping it'll get by if I just say it was a recent flat and I swapped it with the spare tire. I mean, it literally was accidental damage as per the settlement.

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
I guess in a way trying to say that original parts and stuff, and not to be removing anything that was included with the car?
I'm somewhat nervous about one of my TDIs. One of the summer wheels hit a bad pothole just before the winter and bent. VW at the time quoted something stupid like $600 for the wheel and upwards of $1000+ for wheel + tire + balance and install. I've put the spare on and sat the original in the trunk where the spare normally sits. From the exterior side of the wheel/tire it doesn't look bent at all. I'm hoping it'll get by if I just say it was a recent flat and I swapped it with the spare tire. I mean, it literally was accidental damage as per the settlement.
I would just put it on right before the buyback. I think they're more concerned about people literally gutting cars. Seats, stereos, factory rims, etc. There is a shop in the Toronto area called Union Rim, they repair all kinds of damaged wheels. If you're that worried maybe give them a call...

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Only one from Quebec that I can see. Several from Ontario and the West.

Kenshin

TDI
A3 TDI

while the legal documents clearly state just that it has to run under it's own power, the dealer can easily state that they expected the original. If you modified your car completely is it still really a VW or Audi TDI? Though you would probably win in the long run, I'm not sure it's something you want to fight.

This is probably more to prevent people from gutting their car or coming back with steel rims.

Ojibguy

TDI
2010 Golf Sportwagon TDI
7 days to review acceptance of an offer? Seriously?

Anybody else been stalled after sending back the offer/release? Sent mine in May 17, signed and initialed where requested.
Since accepting their offer, nothing. When I finally got through today, the guy said they were "reviewing" my acceptance.
Reviewing? Really? They wrote it. Checking whether I signed and initialed in the right places should take 5 minutes' tops, even for those boobs. I've got a copy of the electronic version verifying my compliance.
With the long weekend thrown in, it will now be at least 6 days before the "review" is done and I get an appointment to turn in the car.
Can hardly wait to discuss with the VW rep – if I ever get an appointment – why I'm not trading for another Volkswagen.