Traded in my 12 JSW tdi for a 16 GSW tsi

totitan

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
I had been wanting a 16 GSW for the MQB platform and the new MIBII infotainment system anyway, but at least six VW dealers wouldnt even call me back when I told them I wanted a fair trade on my tdi. Last night I finally found a VW dealer internet manager who was willing to give me a good deal on a 16 GSW SE tsi and not screw me on trading in the 12 JSW tdi. The build quality and materials feel more s class than vw. The new 1.8 tsi gasser is super smooth with a more hp and a little less torque than the tdi, but the best part is the lack of super expensive parts that are prone to failure after the warranty expires. All in all its on a whole different level than anything made here or in asia. If anyone in socal is interested heres the info

Augie Gomez
Internet Manager
Ontario Volkswagen

Last edited:

kevin_in_idaho

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Sportwagen DSG Pano White
I'll wait to see what VW does w/ the TDI's but it's going to be difficult for me to trust anything they do especially if it costs me any money short term or long term because of this.

totitan

Veteran Member
TDI
If mine had been a newer one with a SCR system I would have kept it. Unfortunately it is not possible to make a tdi without SCR reduce NOx AND maintain 140 hp/240 ft lb. I was already uneasy about all the expensive parts that tend to fail on tdi's post warranty. To have reduced power and economy on top of that was simply unacceptable so I kept searching until I found someone that was willing to take the tdi for a fair price.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
good luck with the new car, car to let us know what the trade was ?

totitan

Veteran Member
TDI
good luck with the new car, car to let us know what the trade was ?
It was a 12 JSW tdi DSG with 47000 miles. They could only give me 14K for it but they dropped the price on the new car from 30,000 to 27,500 which I thought was fair considering the diesel craziness and the almost non existent inventory of '16 GSW SE tsi's in white with black interior and the light package. In all of socal there was maybe 5-6 that were the way I wanted one equipped.

Last edited:

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Thanks sounds like a good deal , enjoy the car

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
It was a 12 JSW tdi DSG with 47000 miles. They could only give me 14K for it but they dropped the price on the new car from 30,000 to 27,500 which I thought was fair considering the diesel craziness and the almost non existent inventory of '16 GSW SE tsi's in white with black interior and the light package. In all of socal there was maybe 5-6 that were the way I wanted one equipped.
Wonder what the dealer would do with the TDI now. They can't sell it until it all clears up. It's probably going to get some touch up and sit on a lot for maybe months. If I were a dealer I wouldn't buy a TDI right now even if that means losing a sale on a 16 GSW

totitan

Veteran Member
TDI
Wonder what the dealer would do with the TDI now. They can't sell it until it all clears up. It's probably going to get some touch up and sit on a lot for maybe months. If I were a dealer I wouldn't buy a TDI right now even if that means losing a sale on a 16 GSW
They said it was going straight to a storage lot. Apparently VW is going to pay their dealers for their tdi's since they cant sell them.

totitan

Veteran Member
TDI
Fine looking unit. Enjoy.
Thanks. I just found out today that the tsi motor has timing chains. Between chains instead of belt, the auto trans instead of DSG, no HPFP, no DPF, no NOx trap, I think the lower maint/repair costs will more than offset the higher fuel consumption.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Thanks. I just found out today that the tsi motor has timing chains. Between chains instead of belt, the auto trans instead of DSG, no HPFP, no DPF, no NOx trap, I think the lower maint/repair costs will more than offset the higher fuel consumption.
You should familiarize yourself with the TSI common issues before you get too pumped up.

Big ones off hand are...
rear main seal blowing out from a failed pcv valve (this may have been fixed with the newer engines)
Timing chain tensioner failure (the was common on previous 2012 TSI engines but is less of a issue since the revised tensioner was installed from 2012+)
Carbon build up (this is still a issue on cars that don't have port injection)
Turbo failure (newer TSI engines seem to be having turbos fail quite a bit from what I've read at other forums)

All that said I had a mkvi Jetta as a rental car when I was out in California. It had the 1.8 TSI engine and auto transmission. Sport mode really transforms that transmission! It's one of the fee automatics I didn't mind all that much. Had the car for a week and got to go between San Francisco and LA down the PCH.

I think I got 33 or so mpg on the mostly highway part of the trip.