Modified kerma 02 jetta

Kerma_tuned

TDI
2002 jetta tdi alh
Kerma 02 TDI
ive only done a small amount of work so far....mainly because i work a 15 and 6 job out of town but in the time ive had off ive gotten a decent amount done
So far ive done:
Vnt 17 plus turbo(24psi)
3 bar map sensor
3 inch turbo back exhaust
Boost and egt gauges
Race 520 injectors
Custom tune from kerma

Im more then impressed by this setup but you know the upgrades never end. Even tho this setup was easily good for 2nd gear wheel spin im aiming higher. Wheel spins with 225/45r17 winter tires on pavement just for reference.

When my dad and myself get time we have alot more work to do. Some of which includes:
Soutchbend stage 2 endurance clutch(hopeing it holds)
Colt stage 3 camshaft
Kerma SMIC and 2.5inch plumbing
Tuscan rods
New lifters
Arp head studs(bet head gasket gunna blow soon)

What else do people think i need?!??
Im sure im forgeting something so send your ideas my way. When everything is put in and done i plan on getting it dyno tuned but for now its just kerma(very,VERY impressed so far) sending me tunes for my car. Please share your thoughts and ideas. And anyone have a clue what kind of numbers i should be expecting rn? PS im just an 18 y/o blowing too much money on my tdi, but hey, still gets 40+mpg for my daily driving

Last edited:

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
The race520s will not be the best choice if you dont have a 11mm pump from the auto installed. I would look at the DLC1019 or pp764 if you have the 10mm. Could expect around 150whp and 275wtq I would guess if you are ok with a little smoke. The engines over seas came with the vnt17 and DLC520 size nozzles if I am not mistaken so you are basically just making it euro spec with a tune. You could try and find a 17/22 hybrid or similar if you want a further upgrade from the stock turbo.

Kerma_tuned

TDI
2002 jetta tdi alh
The race520s will not be the best choice if you dont have a 11mm pump from the auto installed. I would look at the DLC1019 or pp764 if you have the 10mm. Could expect around 150whp and 275wtq I would guess if you are ok with a little smoke. The engines over seas came with the vnt17 and DLC520 size nozzles if I am not mistaken so you are basically just making it euro spec with a tune. You could try and find a 17/22 hybrid or similar if you want a further upgrade from the stock turbo.
I have their new one vnt17plus hybrid(17/26) and cant wait to see how it stacks up against the mahle 15

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
I have their new one vnt17plus hybrid(17/26) and cant wait to see how it stacks up against the mahle 15
Nice! 150whp should be easy to get too then. The only upgrades I see missing are an intercooler. With more boost you will need to cool the air. Fixmyvw has a nice side mount one that is much bigger if you want it in the stock location. There are front mounts too get one with the inlet and outlet on the same side so the plumbing can stay over on the passenger side. I would have it tuned to keep the smoke low personally to keep egt down and help everything last since that is a concern of yours.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Sounds pretty similar to my setup but you may more fuelling with those nozzles and tune.

I have a larger than stock intercooler and got rid of the pancake pipe restriction.

Here is my dyno sheet right after doing that work. I use the car for towing and it does a great job with ~2000 lbs attached to it.

Forgot to mention that the lower numbers are with a few modifications and Malone stage 3 tune.

Last edited:

Kerma_tuned

TDI
2002 jetta tdi alh
Nice! 150whp should be easy to get too then. The only upgrades I see missing are an intercooler. With more boost you will need to cool the air. Fixmyvw has a nice side mount one that is much bigger if you want it in the stock location. There are front mounts too get one with the inlet and outlet on the same side so the plumbing can stay over on the passenger side. I would have it tuned to keep the smoke low personally to keep egt down and help everything last since that is a concern of yours.
Thanks for the response!Im looking at running 24-25psi of boost through it so ill do the intercooler as well then?
Aside from head studs should i be worried about valves,camshaft,connecting rods, suspension, motor mounts,etc?Id rather do everything that i should while the engine is apart reather then doing it piece by piece. Also is the auto 11mm pump a direct replacement for the manual 10mm?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
25 PSI is right on the edge of what stock connecting rods can take. Cylinder pressures depend on three factors: fueling, boost, and revs. You're working on two of the three. I ran milder fueling than you and 26 PSI and eventually bent all 4 rods. But I was also running a 6000 RPM tune, and used it.

Kerma_tuned

TDI
2002 jetta tdi alh
25 PSI is right on the edge of what stock connecting rods can take. Cylinder pressures depend on three factors: fueling, boost, and revs. You're working on two of the three. I ran milder fueling than you and 26 PSI and eventually bent all 4 rods. But I was also running a 6000 RPM tune, and used it.
I usually dont run much past 4000rpm unless im on a highway in 5th gear making a civic owner dissapointed? ive read that a chip tune, injectors, and aftermarket turbo are the only things you need to get to 180whp.......still would like to know if thats sustainable on stock internals....? im always game to learn more then what im asking about and when i finally get everything installed and tuned i plan on making a nice summary for others looking to build their own alh powerhouse!

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
OP, you are a bit confused on the turbos... a vnt17 doka is a 17/52 aka 17/22, not a 17/56 aka 17/26, these are very different turbos. A standard 17/56 is a vnt-20 frame turbo and is not designed for low RPM grunt as it takes quite a bit of RPM and fuel to achieve spool. The doka turbo is technically a hybrid turbo, and hybrid turbos are well known in the TDI world. A "doka" 17/52 is a better spooling turbo than a standard 17/52 due to the lower A/R achieved by machining the vnt-17 cold side. My 17/56 is machined using a vnt-15 cold side and my intention was not to make a 200HP engine; I wanted an engine that would give instant spool even at the 4600' elevation I live at and not run out of breath at WOT. It does not ever run out of breath even at 8600' when I am up at Lake Tahoe.

Kerma_tuned

TDI
2002 jetta tdi alh
OP, you are a bit confused on the turbos... a vnt17 doka is a 17/52 aka 17/22, not a 17/56 aka 17/26, these are very different turbos. A standard 17/56 is a vnt-20 frame turbo and is not designed for low RPM grunt as it takes quite a bit of RPM and fuel to achieve spool. The doka turbo is technically a hybrid turbo, and hybrid turbos are well known in the TDI world. A "doka" 17/52 is a better spooling turbo than a standard 17/52 due to the lower A/R achieved by machining the vnt-17 cold side. My 17/56 is machined using a vnt-15 cold side and my intention was not to make a 200HP engine; I wanted an engine that would give instant spool even at the 4600' elevation I live at and not run out of breath at WOT. It does not ever run out of breath even at 8600' when I am up at Lake Tahoe.
Its kermas 17/26 turbo built for an alh engine.......their replacement for the discontinued 17/22

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
ive read that a chip tune, injectors, and aftermarket turbo are the only things you need to get to 180whp.
I would say that's not true, depending on the dyno. I made 185 HP on a very conservative dyno but my car had an 11mm pump, PP502 nozzles, PD150 intake manifold, airbox to turbo intake, MAF, airbox, and snorkel, a 2.5" exhaust, 17/22 turbo, in tank lift pump. Stock internals, but I did eventually bend the rods.

I think 150-160 HP and 260-280 torque is a safe limit for stock internals.

Kerma_tuned

TDI
2002 jetta tdi alh
I would say that's not true, depending on the dyno. I made 185 HP on a very conservative dyno but my car had an 11mm pump, PP502 nozzles, PD150 intake manifold, airbox to turbo intake, MAF, airbox, and snorkel, a 2.5" exhaust, 17/22 turbo, in tank lift pump. Stock internals, but I did eventually bend the rods.
I think 150-160 HP and 260-280 torque is a safe limit for stock internals.
Never read much about it but what happens when you bend a rod? Are you looking at a new engine?new pistons and connecting rods?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If you just bend them you might not even notice. Compression will be lower, either evenly or unevenly, depending on how the rods bend. A compression test will show whether or not they're bent. Rods can break and hole the block, but that's pretty rare in these engines. You'll need a set of new rods if they're bent, and at that point you can decide whether or not you want to replace pistons or rings.

In my wagon a timing belt service at 265K miles showed excessive valve guide wear. When we pulled the head to refresh it we discovered the bent rods. Otherwise the car drove fine. Refreshed the head, replaced rods, honed cylinders, new pistons and rings. But the engine continued to consume oil. Tuned out the bores were ovaled, probably from the high rev running (I used the car for a lot of track days and typically would shift at 5400-5600 RPM). Ended up replacing the engine with a new factory long block, as it wasn't much more costly than machining the existing block.

These engines are pretty durable, but they have their limits. Right now I'm running a stock VNT-15, all the breathing mods mentioned above, PP357 injectors with the 11mm pump. Car makes about 145/260 at the wheels, which is plenty of power for the street. And I almost always get over 700 miles on a fill up. I'm happy with it.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
OP, from Kerma's website:
The New!! Kerma 17plus for ALH and BEW engines. The 17plus comes with a new 52mm aerodynamically engineered billet wheel (doka version) that helps dramatically increase compressor burst resistance and allows higher shaft speeds.
-Kerma exclusive replacement for the popular (but now obsolete) 17/22.
I am not trying to be an a$$, I just don't want you to be confused about which turbo is which.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
...just because something is discontinued in the US doesn't mean it's discontinued everywhere. Nor does it automatically make it obsolete.

Kerma_tuned

TDI
2002 jetta tdi alh
...just because something is discontinued in the US doesn't mean it's discontinued everywhere. Nor does it automatically make it obsolete.
I myself woud never say its absolete!? but the vendor(kerma) i use no longer sells it.......
As per feedback I have also ordered tuscan connecting rods and colt stage 3 billet camshaft......think intercooler will be held off until next paycheck hehe

Kerma_tuned

TDI
2002 jetta tdi alh
OP, from Kerma's website:
The New!! Kerma 17plus for ALH and BEW engines. The 17plus comes with a new 52mm aerodynamically engineered billet wheel (doka version) that helps dramatically increase compressor burst resistance and allows higher shaft speeds.
-Kerma exclusive replacement for the popular (but now obsolete) 17/22.
I am not trying to be an a$$, I just don't want you to be confused about which turbo is which.
Hey Nevada..appreciate your feedback!?
My sole reason for saying 17/26 is from a quote on there site

"I HAVE A FULLY BUILD JETTA TDI ALH FROM KERMA, I USED TO HAVE A 17/22 AND MADE 203HP 345FT TQ WITH IT, BUT IT SURGED ALOT. THEN I BOUGHT THE 17PLUS (17/26) AND I MADE 238HP AND 398FT TQ AND IT'S TONS SMOOTHER AND WAY MORE RESPONSIVE. I LOVE THIS TURBO! MY EGTS DROPPED BY 250 DEGREES WITH THIS TURBO"
They only have one turbo called 17plus on there website.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Intercooler??? :confused: :D

Edmonton, AB, Canada
Thursday 10:00 AM
Cloudy
-20°F | -1°C
Precipitation: 43%
Humidity: 69%
Wind: 3 mph

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI

"I HAVE A FULLY BUILD JETTA TDI ALH FROM KERMA, I USED TO HAVE A 17/22 AND MADE 203HP 345FT TQ WITH IT, BUT IT SURGED ALOT. THEN I BOUGHT THE 17PLUS (17/26) AND I MADE 238HP AND 398FT TQ AND IT'S TONS SMOOTHER AND WAY MORE RESPONSIVE. I LOVE THIS TURBO! MY EGTS DROPPED BY 250 DEGREES WITH THIS TURBO"
Okay, I understand now where you got the info from; the post you have quoted is why you wrote 17/26. What the poster says is quite believable the Kerma turbo will push more air at a lower RPM and also across the power band. The "new" 17/22 has a better designed wheel than the old one did and the difference between the two turbo is literally night and day.

senso

TDI
Bora Mk4(ALH)
I also plan on tunning my ALH a bit more, but I have a massive doubt, I have just made an home made remap(by just I mean almost 1 year ago and already drove almost 20k km's on it), and by comparing its in the 120hp ballpark, and my gearbox is sooooo short for the measly 120hp(if that), I makes a bit above 120mph(205Km/h on the clock) at almost 4600 rpm, I can take 3rd and 4th gear all the way to 5k rpm, but I cant see the car being all that much usable with 150hp or more on the original 5 speed.

My remap is torque limited down low, so I dont murder my clutch, but even then, in polished parts of the road(like an on/off ramp) and pedal to the metal it will spin in 2nd.

Is my gearbox some strange short geared model?

My plans is suspension first, then 6 speed convertion, then turbo(still un-decided between a small 1549vz or go balls out to a 1752vrk), then injectors, FMIC, and lots of remaps in between.

Last edited:

Kerma_tuned

TDI
2002 jetta tdi alh
I also plan on tunning my ALH a bit more, but I have a massive doubt, I have just made an home made remap(by just I mean almost 1 year ago and already drove almost 20k km's on it), and by comparing its in the 120hp ballpark, and my gearbox is sooooo short for the measly 120hp(if that), I makes a bit above 120mph(205Km/h on the clock) at almost 4600 rpm, I can take 3rd and 4th gear all the way to 5k rpm, but I cant see the car being all that much usable with 150hp or more on the original 5 speed.

My remap is torque limited down low, so I dont murder my clutch, but even then, in polished parts of the road(like an on/off ramp) and pedal to the metal it will spin in 2nd.

Is my gearbox some strange short geared model?

My plans is suspension first, then 6 speed convertion, then turbo(still un-decided between a small 1549vz or go balls out to a 1752vrk), then injectors, FMIC, and lots of remaps in between.
Ya i was thinking about a 6speed conversion? but ive spent a litttle over $5000cad this month so im holding off haha and im running high 4000's at 180kmph too

Are you running 120ish HP on the stock engine?

senso

TDI
Bora Mk4(ALH)
Totally stock, Mann air filter, Bosch oil and fuel filter, the turbo is the stock 1749V, spikes up to 1.2 bars, stable 1.1 bars, smoke map is calculated up to 800mg/stroke for 17:1 AFR and at most it goes 50.5-50.8 mg of fuel injected. A bit of haze when cold, then it clean.

And for fun, 16.8 seconds on the quarter mile, the Jetta sure is a fat car.

It sure is a nice upgrade from the stock maps and the car feels a lot more lively, and with moderated driving it got better fuel mileage!

Being EU based I can get a 6 speed swap for around 500€, plus 250-300€ for a new dual mass clutch+flywheel from a PD150 that will handle a lot of abuse and avoid all the shudder/chatter of a single mass.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Intercooler??? :confused: :D
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Thursday 10:00 AM
Cloudy
-20°F | -1°C
Precipitation: 43%
Humidity: 69%
Wind: 3 mph
Funny guy, :rolleyes: :p

It does get warmer there, but only for a few months, :D

tjpeterson96

TDI
04 bew jetta
You are correct. It looks like after Kerma phased out the 17/22 he called his replacement the 17/26. (this can still be found my searching using the search bar on kerma website) which then phased into the 17plus that has the exact same specs. i looked into all this because i was bored and stumbled upon this thread :D

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I guess we are all stuck in the semantics portion of the discussion. The "real" 17/22's are no longer made by Garrett, so anything available in that size is a custom hybrid and custom hybrids are quite cool... What Kerma now sells has a 52mm compressor in a vnt-17 frame, as the "real" 17/22's were 52mm compressor wheels in a vnt-20 frame.

tjpeterson96

TDI
04 bew jetta
I guess we are all stuck in the semantics portion of the discussion. The "real" 17/22's are no longer made by Garrett, so anything available in that size is a custom hybrid and custom hybrids are quite cool... What Kerma now sells has a 52mm compressor in a vnt-17 frame, as the "real" 17/22's were 52mm compressor wheels in a vnt-20 frame.
hmm thats very interesting. what ever kerma calls their custom hybrid, i wonder how they compare in performance. kerma's having the same size compressor wheel inside a smaller frame

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
With the same shaft RPM as a stock vnt-17 there will be more boost pressure as well as more air volume in pounds than the stock compressor wheel would produce. The billet compressor wheel should help the turbo come up on spool at a somewhat lower RPM as well creating better throttle response with proper fueling and tuning.
I have a 56mm wheel machined into a vnt-15 cold side, and my turbo spools crazy fast even though I live at 4600' elevation; I literally start building solid boost right off of idle.

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
With the same shaft RPM as a stock vnt-17 there will be more boost pressure as well as more air volume in pounds than the stock compressor wheel would produce. The billet compressor wheel should help the turbo come up on spool at a somewhat lower RPM as well creating better throttle response with proper fueling and tuning.
I have a 56mm wheel machined into a vnt-15 cold side, and my turbo spools crazy fast even though I live at 4600' elevation; I literally start building solid boost right off of idle.
I did the same turbo thanks to Nevada doing it, and its a very good, mild upgrade for not much money. :cool: