Cranks but doesn't start on it's own or run well

Aztdi

TDI
2000 vw jetta mk4 tdi
I have a 2000 vw Jetta TDI. Recently was installing a ccv catch can. And I assume I caused a source of oil to enter the combustion chamber cause when I got up to 3.2k rpm the engine took off. And I could only stop it by turning the key off, lucky it stopped. I topped off oil and drove low rpm home after putting the ccv back to stock. But when I got about a block away from home I hit a higher rpm and it happened again. And this time a clack time noise was heard then I couldn't get it started. My first assumption was timing belt/ tension. So I reset timing from scratch setting crank, cam, and IP by the book. Afterwards I was about to get my engine running but air bubbles come through the clear line. And running it acts like a misfire almost and runs rough. I tried bleeding the air by cracking the lines at the injectors. And I get a decent squirt from each line. But still starting, its like it has to build pressure before it starts then I have to play with it to keep it running. Till it will idle on its own and even then it runs rough. Also white smoke is constantly coming from the tailpipe but there was quite a bit of oil in the inner cooler and the exhausts is probably just as coated. does anyone have suggestions on what could be my problem. Considered getting the pump tested but the only local facility wants 900$. And just got a compression gauge to check compression but the battery died so thats on hold till I get a new battery. Any other idea? Specs to check vacuum on lift side of the IP?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
So when you reset the timing was it off or did everything line up properly?

Aztdi

TDI
2000 vw jetta mk4 tdi
I want to say it was off a hair. Because I couldn't get everything to line up without completely starting from scratch. I had the IP and crank locked but u couldn't get the cam locked without removing tension and the cam pulley.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
This is NOT the Forum for asking questions about your car. You will get a better response if you post in the correct Forum for your car.

Aztdi

TDI
2000 vw jetta mk4 tdi
This is NOT the Forum for asking questions about your car. You will get a better response if you post in the correct Forum for your car.
New to this forum. And miss posted this. I have posted it in the right section. But I can't take it down from here so excuse me for my mistake.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
This forum is for forum issues, forum problems, doesn't see much traffic.
I might suggest you post a third time here- VW MKIV-A4 TDIs

Heavy traffic, most germane to your issue.