Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
high volume truck pumps are quite often unfiltered
they'd need a bank of spin on filters to handle the volume, and that would get expensive quickly

Dear... oh dear.... oh dear.....

It looks like the pumps are quick..... Where some people are not...

FF

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
eh, just saying
I'd rather wait the extra ten minutes than replace filters on my truck any sooner.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Even the high volume pumps have filters on them. Not sure where you got the idea they don't.
standard 10 micron ones like we got on the pumps where I work?

They're about 4" dia and 8" long, and they only last a few months, low volume gasoline (maybe 10 loads of a thousand gallons) spread out across two separate filters. Shake them out and the fuel looks like mud. We change them when the pumps get slow.

I'd imagine to get the kind of flow the 1.5" truck nozzles can do you'd need some BIG dang filters, or a bank of the smaller ones.
I can see a screen on the pump inlet and a 125 micron spin on screen before the meter.

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
Two Cimtek 30 micron filters will flow 80 gpm in parallel operation And the 10 microns will do the same. They are 5x12'ish. The High flow pumps at my local petrol station have 4 filters in the dispenser. 2 of the 30 micron particle filters. And than 2 10 micron water block filters. When new the pumps deliver ~60GPM.

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
That's still a darn site longer than it takes to change 4 wheels on on a Mercedes....

About 6 times longer....

bodhisattvah

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
In Oregon it's a battle--I have to hop out quick and lock the tank so they don't try putting in B20. There are rarely clear signs that I can see until I get up to the pump and look or ask.

Sometimes the attendants are nice about it, but I've had a couple flat out refuse to let me pump. And some stations lock their pumps after hours. I've had to learn where all the "pure" diesel stations are. It spins my head because I grew up in MA, where there are self/mini/full options.

Y'all talk cetain ratings, and I'm just trying to get fuel that won't eat my engine!

At least when I get outside Portland the biodiesel blends disappear.

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
I don't have filling up at the "gas" station stories these days... it's been routine for quite a long time now. Though funny enough, then neighborhood I live in a few of the kids came up and started asking "how did you make your car sound like that?" with one of the kids suggesting it was a diesel and the other telling him they didn't make diesel cars. That was a bit funny and a chance to educate them on diesels. I encouraged one kid who seemed interested in cars to learn to repair them. We got a few good ones in the neighborhood including one kid who from day one was asking to mow the lawn for $10. It's that kind of drive I can appreciate and relate to. After 3 months of being asked I handed the kit a 10 dollar bill, and asked him to mow it when the grass wasn't so wet. A week later I came home to a freshly mowed lawn. That's all the story I have..

t1n0m3n

TDI
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel
I filled up the Jeep with Diesel yesterday. The tank was filled. The end.

Last edited:

1.9TDI60MPG

TDI
2006 1.9 TDI
Funny Looks

I usually only get them weird looks especially since the narrower diesel nozzle had a lineup but the station for semi trucks was empty, I tried to get that massive nozzle in there as best as I can. The looks I got were pretty funny. Maybe the fact that I'm still 16 made it look even weirder.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I pulled into my local Valero station with my 2017 Jetta and filled it up. Went inside and got a Coke and some peanuts. The counter guy, who I know, asked if that was my new TDI. I said, no, it's my new TSI and it gets about 40 MPG on RUG. He was surprised I didn't by a new TDI, but I explained there are no more new ones.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Count me in as another one who hasn't had a diesel-related story in ages. Things happen, but they're not TDI-related. I don't think anyone's asked about my car or mileage or anything like that in 7-8 years now.

I did have a particularly frustrating experience at the gas station the other day that was only tangentially related to diesel, because one of the two diesel pumps at the station had a dead card reader, so I went through the whole "enter Plenti number, try to swipe card, fail, try again, fail again, put fuel cap back on, drive to the other pump, try again" hassle.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I pulled into my local Valero station with my 2017 Jetta and filled it up. Went inside and got a Coke and some peanuts. The counter guy, who I know, asked if that was my new TDI. I said, no, it's my new TSI and it gets about 40 MPG on RUG. He was surprised I didn't by a new TDI, but I explained there are no more new ones.
So you took about a 20% mileage hit it looks like?

TwosDay

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9 PD 5-Speed with the van Gogh fix, 2012 PassIt 6-Speed PLATNUM Grey (scheduled for buyback), 2013 JSW 6-Speed Platnum Grey, 2018 Chevy Equanox TD to replace '12 PassIt!
Back in 2016 when the Regular Unleaded pipeline into metro Atlanta, GA burst in Alabama there was sudden chaos. If unleaded could be found it was expensive.

As I came to a RaceTrak Station with all of it's unleaded nozzles bagged, I pulled up to the pump nearest the front door. All the pumps were double RUG/Diesel. I pulled up about 8-9 feet from the pump in my Passat TDI and went in and prepaid for $20 worth of diesel. I came out and stretched the hose to my car and started pumping slowly. Within 6-7 minutes there was a line of cars behind me extending out to the road patiently waiting. I hung the nozzle up, capped my tank and drove away.

TwosDay

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9 PD 5-Speed with the van Gogh fix, 2012 PassIt 6-Speed PLATNUM Grey (scheduled for buyback), 2013 JSW 6-Speed Platnum Grey, 2018 Chevy Equanox TD to replace '12 PassIt!
Just a picture from Love's in Emerson, GA

I was happy I was driving my Passat TDI!

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
I came out and stretched the hose to my car and started pumping slowly. Within 6-7 minutes there was a line of cars behind me extending out to the road patiently waiting. I hung the nozzle up, capped my tank and drove away.

It took you 6 minutes to pump $20 of diesel??

What was the pump, Hamster powered??

;)

TwosDay

TDI
I was letting it drip into the tank slowly in order to maximize the time that I had hose stretched to the car. That was so I could build the line of cars behind me at the pump.

Ironically, there was a diesel pickup truck in the next lane over that didn't have a line form behind him.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I pulled up to the diesel/gas combo pump in my GAS GSW on Saturday. I was hoping some TDI/PU Truck dude would yell "I'm pretty sure your car isn't a diesel", to which I would have replied "you're right it isn't", then I would have opened the tailgate, and pulled out my yellow 5-gal jerry can, and added "but my TRACTOR is diesel", and filled it up. If he had been polite, I would have moved the car to another pump to fill it as I wanted to fill it up as well, and if he'd been rude, I would have filled SLOWLY with gas at the combo pump :D

As it was, nobody turned up and as it was -21C out, all I managed to do was freeze my ass off...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
And I chose not to put gas in the truck on Friday because it was 40F and starting to drizzle and I didn't have my coat. Man I've turned into southern wimp. My only saving grace is that I don't pull out the winter jacket, gloves, and hat when the temps approach 50F.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
So yesterday I pull into the local Royal Farms to fill up. It's Noonish on Sunday, and there are lines at all the RUG pumps, however the diesel is between a pair of RUG pumps that were out of order (which I knew from being there the day before with the other TDI.) It was a great feeling to be able to pull around the lines and right up to the pump. No nasty/odd looks or anything, but I am hoping it takes them a long time to fix the pumps :)

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
So yesterday I pull into the local Royal Farms to fill up. It's Noonish on Sunday, and there are lines at all the RUG pumps, however the diesel is between a pair of RUG pumps that were out of order (which I knew from being there the day before with the other TDI.) It was a great feeling to be able to pull around the lines and right up to the pump. No nasty/odd looks or anything, but I am hoping it takes them a long time to fix the pumps :)
A lot of Royal Farms are putting up charging stations. Did you notice if the one you went to had them?

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Anybody have strong feelings about including tales from EV charge stations in this thread?

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Anybody have strong feelings about including tales from EV charge stations in this thread?
Wouldn't that be basically parking and going to work after plugging in, or raging about the non-EV parked in the EV charger spot? :D