1J0906391B Heater Tube

crawdaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon TDI/5spd swap
Are these known to fail?
This part is located on an ALH, might be other engines as well, just after the air box and is hooked up to the CCV on top of valve cover.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
If yours failed then they are now known to fail.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
If yours failed then they are now known to fail.
We're still trying to ascertain this point:D

Man, my list of things to worry about just doesn't seem to be getting any shorter!

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
is it just a resistance test to see if it's failed? is there a MIL code associated with the failure? can't say I've had any issues with them. might have a spare in my box of hoarded parts... maybe I'll ohm it and see.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
It's a simple heater. I doubt it is monitored by the ECU, though anything is possible. It's just a simple heating element, so a resistance check should do it - if it's an open circuit it's bad, otherwise I'd expect it to be good.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Try unplugging it and see if it does throw a code.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This is a really interesting thread. I'm curious as to the real reason for this piece. Does it affect cold running?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
It keeps the PCV vapors, which have some moisture, from freezing in cold weather and blocking the PCV.

-J

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It keeps the PCV vapors, which have some moisture, from freezing in cold weather and blocking the PCV.

-J
Wow!

I wonder how much frozen moisture it takes to block the PCV? Clearly, at one point, VW identified a problem

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
It's one of those things that just needed to happen once or twice during specific conditions to justify needing the part. VW used essentially the same thing on all their engines.

I don't think it'd be a common problem at all, but if your CCV froze up and blew the oil seals on your engine once every couple of years in the winter you'd be pretty PO'd.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I don't think it'd be a common problem at all, but if your CCV froze up and blew the oil seals on your engine once every couple of years in the winter you'd be pretty PO'd.
Or if it happened enough times while the cars were still under warranty, then Volkswagen would have been PO'd.:)

Interesting to know why it is there. I'm sure I read this before but paid little attention to it.

crawdaddy

Veteran Member
TDI

The reason I was asking that I have a old one from a parts car and was planning on using it for my CCV catch can mod.
But couldn't use it because the connectors are wrong.
Ended up using the top one in photo, original one. I remembered that I kept the end piece that clips on the end to make the OD smaller.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Shouldn't be anything stopping you from swapping connectors and using whatever fits your purpose.

crawdaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Shouldn't be anything stopping you from swapping connectors and using whatever fits your purpose.
crawdaddy905 said:
"I remembered that I kept the end piece that clips on the end to make the OD smaller. "
Small piece,
top left in photo that attached to end of heater on the top in photo I found later on. I kept it quite a while ago after the curved tube from CCV broke

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI

Small piece,
top left in photo that attached to end of heater on the top in photo I found later on. I kept it quite a while ago after the curved tube from CCV broke
Oh gotcha - I was thinking electrical connectors rather than tubing.