problems with my 1.6td...pleaaase help

steviegdiesel

TDI
mk2
hey guys i have a 92 golf td with a recent rebuilt engine put into it. I was driving it for a couple months up until the point where the last few weeks if I turn the car off and leave it for a few hours and try to turn it back on, it won't turn on. There are recent glow plugs put into it, and i'm not blaming the cold because when its 5, 6 even 14 degrees it does the same thing.
I give it a boost and it gets going again but the battery is perfectly fine as well as the alternator.

UPDATE: just tried to boost it and it didn't turn on.

and... the heat started to not work after a day that my thermostat got stuck and the car was over revving and wouldn't turn off but that happened before the car got into this state of not turning on. could my problems be with the heater core as the heat does not in any way get hot...

and when it is on, it clicks alot and smokes alot.

can anybody praise me with some wise knowledge here?

thanks,steve

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
Sorry to here about this, Steve. :(

Fill us in a bit more on what happened earlier.

How do you know that your thermostat got stuck? Did the car overheat? Does it still have a normal coolant level? When exactly did you notice that there was no heat, and was it overheating at this point or later on?

And you are saying that the engine over-rev'd and you couldn't shut if off as well? Did this happen with the engine at idle or after a period of idling, or did it happen with the engine going a higher speed? Was the engine making the clicking noise and smoking before this over-rev happened?

Based upon what information you have given so far, it sounds like you may have suffered two separate failures. One which led to a loss of coolant (hence no heat) which may have caused overheating and a blown head gasket, leading to a loss of compression which would explain your no-start condition, and the second being an engine overspeed caused by excessive engine oil in the intake--the oil gets into the intake manifold via a leaky turbo bearing, and then is drawn into the engine where it becomes fuel and causes the engine speed to increase. This can also cause serious engine damage if the RPM gets high enough.

Can you take the car back to the shop that rebuilt and/or installed the engine to have them look at it? I suspect that you have some serious issues to deal with. I would try to find a local diesel or TDI guru in your area to take a look at it.

steviegdiesel

TDI
mk2
well as i was driving on the highway my pedal felt weak and the car started revving on its own and when i pulled over, took the keys out, the car was STILL running with a cloud of smoke surrounding the car. when i brought it into the shop they had told me the thermostat got stuck so they replaced the thermostat and she turned on fine.

the clicking was happening after the ordeal though. and the heat issue as well. im thinking i might of blew my heater core but ...?

the rebuilt engine had steel gaskets in it as well.

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
OK, so you experienced a runaway engine at highway speeds--so oil got into the intake manifold somehow, and besides the turbo as I described above, the other way that this can happen is if your engine has a lot of blowby (leakage past the rings, worn valve stems may also play a part) which produces an oil mist inside the crankcase--this pressurized mist then goes out the crankcase vent at the top of the valve cover and gets sucked into your intake. This usually means a worn-out engine, but since yours was rebuilt, we hopefully can rule this out--BUT if their definition of 'rebuilt' was simply putting new rings in, and your cylinder bores were worn and they didn't bore oversize and put oversize pistons and rings in, then you could have this same condition not long after the 'rebuild.'

If this ever happens again, keep it in gear and ride the brakes until the engine quits--this will keep the engine from overspeeding. If your engine is now making more noise than it did before this happened, this is not a good sign.

The shop telling you that it was a bad thermostat? :confused: I'm not sure how they came to this conclusion (not saying they were wrong either). Are you sure that they even completely filled up your cooling system after working on it? You may have a bunch of air trapped inside your system, which could explain why there is no heat.

I would still try to find a good diesel shop up there to take a look at your engine. I would check compression, cam timing, and oil pressure (you should get some while cranking) and go from there.

Cas

Veteran Member
TDI
2009jetta
check the fuel shutoff valve on injection pump for for your starting and shutting off engine

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Follow redmondjp's advise. I was going to say basically the same thing. Find out EXACTLY what was done to rebuild the motor. You either got oil going through a bad turbo or going through the breather hose, due to either a worn out, or improperly rebuilt motor.

Properly rebuilt includes oversize pistons and a block bored TO THE CORRECT TOLLERENCES listed in the Bentley repair manual for this motor. They are quite small, and much less than gasoline engines, and many shops DO NOT know this.

New rings in an old IDI VW diesel moter does not cut it!

--Nate