Catback exhaust: worth it?

JwTDI212

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL
Hi guys, new here on the forum. I joined to pick the brains of some pros

I’m thinking of doing some basic mods to my 2015 TDI SEL
Stage 1 tune (QPro by kermatdi)
And a catback exhaust. I went this route as I didn’t want issues deleting the adblue system, DPF, etc.

I’m solid on the tune, but my question: is a catback exhaust worth it? If I’m not mistaken (please, correct me if I’m wrong) the stock resonator as well as the muffler (obviously) sit behind the catalytic converter. (so a catback exhaust would essentially delete these, unless I opted to get some performance replacements.)

The “is it worth it” portion of my question boils down to does a catback exhaust provide any audible or performance difference? My common sense tells me the car must be pretty restrictive to comply with the EPA, so I’m trying to figure out if I should buy this exhaust

Here are the links to what I’m planning to buy, just for reference
QPro tune:https://www.kermatdi.com/i-1102-new...html#!year=2015||make=VOLKSWAGEN||model=JETTA

Banks catback exhaust:https://www.ecstuning.com/b-banks-power-parts/3-banks-monster-exhaust-system-black-tip/46181-b~bap/

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
It’ll be pretty loud with most likely droning when driving around town with the windows down. I threw a down pipe and cat back on my ‘02 1.8T when I was 27 and kinda got tired of it after a few years, especially driving in parking garages, made me feel like some kind of Honda ricer boy with their vibrating can

JwTDI212

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL
It'll get you a different looking exhaust tip, but that's it. It won't change anything else.
Won't change ANYTHING else? Not even a little sound difference? I could see the droning issue if I was doing a whole delete exhaust but being that it is just a catback I would think it shouldn't be too obnoxious.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Won't make a noticeable sound difference or add power. It'd be best to keep your intake and exhaust system completely stock so that your emissions components can operate properly.

JwTDI212

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL
Ok, so what I'm gathering from this is I have two choices

QPRO Tune and no exhaust modifications
or
Malone Stage 2 and a full exhaust replacement (deleting DPF, BlueDef, etc.)

The QPRO is only $650, and even if I did a catback it would only be $1000 with the QPRO tune

On the other hand the Malone Stage 2 is $850 and a full delete exhaust is $925 minimum (no muffler, resonator, or cat). so roughly $1700
Anyone know of a cheaper way to get some sound? I haven't extensively researched the Malone/delete option, so if anybody has gotten this or something similar to it for less please let me know

JwTDI212

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL
Also just curious: anybody have an opinion on P3Gauges? I've read that they are the only thing on the market for a 2015 TDI that shows digital readouts of boost, intake temp, exhaust temp and other cool stuff. Maybe if the catback is useless I'll spend the leftovers getting that since KermaTDI offers a $100 discount off a P3Gauge with the purchase of their QPRO tune.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Also just curious: anybody have an opinion on P3Gauges? I've read that they are the only thing on the market for a 2015 TDI that shows digital readouts of boost, intake temp, exhaust temp and other cool stuff. Maybe if the catback is useless I'll spend the leftovers getting that since KermaTDI offers a $100 discount off a P3Gauge with the purchase of their QPRO tune.
I have had a P3 in my 2015 Jetta SEL TDI for almost 4 years Love it!

You should check around! There are more tuners around than Malone! My Favorite is Rocketchip!

Last edited:

mckpat03

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
Ok, so what I'm gathering from this is I have two choices

QPRO Tune and no exhaust modifications
or
Malone Stage 2 and a full exhaust replacement (deleting DPF, BlueDef, etc.)

The QPRO is only $650, and even if I did a catback it would only be $1000 with the QPRO tune

On the other hand the Malone Stage 2 is $850 and a full delete exhaust is $925 minimum (no muffler, resonator, or cat). so roughly $1700
Anyone know of a cheaper way to get some sound? I haven't extensively researched the Malone/delete option, so if anybody has gotten this or something similar to it for less please let me know
So there are a number of options for a downpipe and tune, but you need to reflect on if that's truly a route you want to go and if you can get away with it in your state. Off the top of my head, there are downpipes from Rawtek, Mec Evo, Buzzken, Darkside, and so on, and there are tunes from Malone, Rocketchip, TDTuning, Jeff Stevenson, JR Auto, etc. Downpipes can range from 450 USD to 1000 USD. No idea on the price range of tunes, really, I've only used Malone... and aren't their Stg2 tunes 550 USD?

Not as fancy looking, but there's the old reliable Scan Gauge II to digitally monitor various sensor readouts, too.

JwTDI212

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL
Well now I've got a lot more to consider. Didn't make my decision any easier, but the education I got in this process helps.

I Appreciate all the feedback!

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
I have a p3 gauge but it won't read boost with malone tune. I use a scan guage 2 and it does everything I need. If you want my p3 gauge let me know , we can swap vents. PM

JwTDI212

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL
I just installed my p3 multi gauge today, and it won't read boost or throttle. Boost stays solid at 0 and throttle stays at 84 (im guessing that is a percentage reading? not sure)

Either way, I installed the Kerma TDI QPRO tune, and it rips! Much more fun to drive, and you don't have to work as hard to accelerate and get into 6th gear. Supposedly it adds 50whp, putting a 2015 like mine at 188whp, which is pretty good for an otherwise stock little diesel. On my first and only 0-60 on the new p3 I posted 7.8, damn good for an amateur manual driver in my opinion lol. Stock is something stupid slow like 9.8 seconds, so my review on the tune is 5 stars.

Will the boost/throttle position not read because of a tune? I haven't read that anywhere else until your post. What is a scan2 gauge? Better than p3?

Last edited:

JwTDI212

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL
tomo366, you are my best bet with my p3 problem, please help me out. You and I have essentially the same car and you mentioned that you have and very much like your p3.

I installed mine and it won't read boost or throttle. Does yours read these correctly? Is your car modded or tuned at all and does that potentially interfere with the gauge reading certain things?