22 micron napa gold oil filters???

danielcram

TDI
2003 jetta
hi everyone i am new here and i just bought a 2003 jetta tdi, i was picking up oil and filters and it was recomended that i go with a napa gold p/n 7210 oil filter they apparently have a higher micron rating then the stock filter, napa gold is a 22 micron rating. Has anybody ever used these or does anybody know what the stock vw filters micron rating is? thanks.:confused: any pros and cons

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Most recommend OEM filters. They can be had from the dealer or our vendors here. Check the group buy forums for some of the vendors.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Used lots of the NAPA Gold oil filters in the '00/'01/'03 TDIs. Never knew (or worried) about the micron rating(s). They're good filters, no issues. They have the baffle inside and are labeled "top" on one end. Most of them are made in Poland as were some/most of the Mann oil filters I've had.

Last edited:

danielcram

TDI
2003 jetta
napa gold 22micron

thanks for the advice, my friend and I were discussing it wondering if it would drop your oil pressure due to smaller microns, I talked to Napa they said that it also has more pleats so better surface area.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I've used Purolator for years (pre-TDI days) and have not had any problems that I know of. And, sort of like what Jettawreck said, I don't have a clue what the micro rating would be for them. Purolator has a higher end filter.........seems they are all (Purolators) are all made in Israel.

danielcram

TDI
2003 jetta
wow I scrolled down and read a few old posts about napa gold filters and now I think I will bring them back, I am going to buy a one from vw and compare the two, check out these old posts from 2008 and 2006 below, it talks about the filters having impropper o rings and letting oil leak down and causing dry start conditions, and not having propper baffles, I think to be safe i am going to stick with OEM, thoughts anyone??? Read the old posts!

hey AndyBees, you probably drove right through grande prairie on your way up the alaska highway where i live!!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
hey AndyBees, you probably drove right through grande prairie on your way up the alaska highway where i live!!
Yeah, I've spent the night in Grande Prairie several different times. I had my '83 Vanagon serviced at the VW Dealership there in 1999. We stayed at a motel within walking distance of the dealership. Bathegate I think is the manager there!

EDIT: The Purolator filter has "Top" stamped on it, fits tight and looks like the Mann filter!

Last edited:

danielcram

TDI
2003 jetta
ok so i wanted to go home and check the napa gold filters i bought, they do have the baffles in side the oil filter and it says top on one end and made in poland, i think they will be fine, i am going to buy a vw one tomorow morning and compare the two, i will try to post some pics.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ok so i wanted to go home and check the napa gold filters i bought, they do have the baffles in side the oil filter and it says top on one end and made in poland, i think they will be fine, i am going to buy a vw one tomorow morning and compare the two, i will try to post some pics.
All the NAPA Gold filters for the TDI I've bought have been fine. I usually change oil (Rotella T6 5w-40 or M1 TDT 5w-40) every 10K and the filter every 20K, never had one fail or clog up. They have a "cheaper" non-Gold product which I have not tried (and have no reason to). Maybe they are the ones that were found sub-standard.

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
22 microns is still less than 1/1000th of an inch. Bearing clearances are 2-4 thousandths.

TDI
2009 Jeta

danielcram

TDI
2003 jetta
thanks everyone for all th info, i bought i vw filter yesterday and compared the napa gold filter and the vw, the baffles inside are identical, the napa filter is made in poland and is labeled top on one end. I counted the pleats and the napa filter has around 60 pleats and vw filter has around 50. Is mann the company that makes the vw filter, I went onto mann's website and I was unable to find the micron rating of the filter for my 2003 jetta tdi, Crows synthetics could you please post the link to the place where you found the micron rating of that filter, thanks. The guy at the parts store told me that the napa gold had a higher micron rating then the stock filter but maybe he was just full of it.

TDI
2009 Jeta
I did give you the link FYI it should be in blue, this is what it said.
Also looking at an counting the pleats is ok but just not the whole picture. it is the filter media that really does the job.

What is the filter fineness of an oil filter?
engine oil filter 5-18 m (micron)
hydraulic oil filter 3-10m (micro

Bill

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Do you mind delete the post that you screwed up pls.

Thx

Btw, that's the wrong OFC for that MY

Here's the correct OFC for that MY

The best OEM filter better than the OE and other OEM filters
(A)

No. pleats: 77
Micron rating: 10u
Hengst patented horizontal embossed supports/spacers to prevent filter element from bunching/collapsing.

U.S Patent
(A)

Rev. (A): Pictures added

Last edited:

Questor

TDI
'05 B5.5 Passat Wagon -180k
...The guy at the parts store told me that the napa gold had a higher micron rating then the stock filter but maybe he was just full of it.
Perhaps not, if he really used the word "higher" he could be correct, a 22 micron rating WOULD be "higher" than an 18 or 15 or whatever micron rating, not necessarily "better" but definitely "higher". ;)

That said, the NAPA Gold element filters made in Poland are fine oil filters, though they may not be the most ideal choice for extended OCI. Most would recommend that you stick with OEM filters MANN, MAHLE / KNECHT, HENGST, or BOSCH (euro, not US).

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Perhaps not, if he really used the word "higher" he could be correct, a 22 micron rating WOULD be "higher" than an 18 or 15 or whatever micron rating, not necessarily "better" but definitely "higher". ;)

That said, the NAPA Gold element filters made in Poland are fine oil filters, though they may not be the most ideal choice for extended OCI. Most would recommend that you stick with OEM filters MANN, MAHLE / KNECHT, HENGST, or BOSCH (euro, not US).
Has anyone tried to verify the 22 micron "rating" of the NAPA Gold filter, or just taking some part guys word for it?? I couldn't find the correct filter online, but the Gold filters I did find had 17 and 19 micron rating.