MPG impressions on 2015 Golf so far

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
What module? There's oodles on the web. I'm sure there's Chinese junk using the elm327 chip.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
I just used $5 generic ELM327 bluetooth module which i bought from ebay couple of years ago and vagdpf works with it.

eutecticpt

TDI
2004 Jetta
Took our 2015 GSW to Wisconsin for a wedding. Achieved a personnel best of 57.8 mpg driving from Knoxville TN to just south a Chicago. The other fill ups were about 56.5 mpg--the mountains affected the economy slightly.

1945GPW

TDI
2005 Jetta 2015 Golf
Compared to all of you guys I am getting horrible MPG. I just filled up today and I'm only getting 38 MPG. Whats the problem you think? I know it has a lot to do with your foot but I am getting 46 to 50 with my MK4 Jetta and I drive the Golf the same way so something doesn't seem right. Any Ideas??

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
How are you getting your average?

Paper math the last 3 tanks.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

1945GPW

TDI
2005 Jetta 2015 Golf
I am dividing the miles by gallons filled up. The trip computer is right on the money with my math. When I bought my golf a couple weeks ago I drove it from Chicago to TN around 80 MPR and my wife was right behind me doing the same speed in our MK4 Jetta. I got 37 with the golf and my wife got 47 with the Jetta. and then when I filled up yesterday we got the 38 with the golf, this last fill up was mixed city/hwy.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
It's all driving environment and habits. I'm having no problem exceeding 55 mpg regularly in my GSW DSG, but I only use it for commuting. No trips to the local store or anything like that. I also use common sense mileage techniques like coasting to lights and not driving like an asshat and whatnot.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I am dividing the miles by gallons filled up. The trip computer is right on the money with my math. When I bought my golf a couple weeks ago I drove it from Chicago to TN around 80 MPR and my wife was right behind me doing the same speed in our MK4 Jetta. I got 37 with the golf and my wife got 47 with the Jetta. and then when I filled up yesterday we got the 38 with the golf, this last fill up was mixed city/hwy.
I drive both a MKIV and MKVII and they tend to be in the very same range. 48-52mpg I would say is the average with some +/- tanks here and there.
Could always poke around for leaks with the car running?

grey matter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Golf Trendline DSG
At 6500 kilometres on the new car, according to Fuelly, I was able to get 4.3 litres per 100 kilometres overall average the last tank.( 54 mpg US ) That's driving very conservatively at 100 k/p/h.
Very happy with that. I've noticed the car goes into re-gen about 3 times between fill ups. Also saw cat temperatures up to 1200 degrees Fahrenheit during those re gens, Ouch.

Last edited:

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
25,000 + on my car, bone stock. Just drove up from MD to CT. Traffic was moving fast, but I tried to stay between 70-75. Got 49.2mpg on the trip up. I am happy.

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
Methods

How are you all calculating mileage? The method I use is a Garmin that turns on with the ignition. I also wait until I have good satellite reception prior to starting the engine and moving. Then I keep an Excel document with my fuel fillups. I've crosschecked the GPS averages with plotted courses on Google Maps and they are very close in miles. I've noticed that my TDI's computer is about 4.5 MPG optimistic. I also multiply the odometer by 0.9883831906 to get GPS miles (which I believe to be more correct) when I have the street tires on and 0.9799552985 with snow tires. One can argue that the GPS has periods of poor satellite reception but I think that the Excel document with several fillups documented will average out those errors to near non-existence. Also, Google Maps and the freeway speedometer check signs agree more with the GPS than the odometer.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How are you all calculating mileage? The method I use is a Garmin that turns on with the ignition. I also wait until I have good satellite reception prior to starting the engine and moving. Then I keep an Excel document with my fuel fillups. I've crosschecked the GPS averages with plotted courses on Google Maps and they are very close in miles. I've noticed that my TDI's computer is about 4.5 MPG optimistic. I also multiply the odometer by 0.9883831906 to get GPS miles (which I believe to be more correct) when I have the street tires on and 0.9799552985 with snow tires. One can argue that the GPS has periods of poor satellite reception but I think that the Excel document with several fillups documented will average out those errors to near non-existence. Also, Google Maps and the freeway speedometer check signs agree more with the GPS than the odometer.
Too much effort.

I just use the odometer and punch everything into the Fuelly GasTracker+ app on my iPhone as I'm filling. Still on stock tires/wheels.

Will be filling up tonight after my evening commute. It's tracking to be my first 700 mile tank.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
Looks like you already use Fuelly. I trust the odometer to be fairly accurate. DOT would be very unhappy if it wasn't and there would be another VW scandal if it was really bad. I also trust the fuel pump because they have to have the sticker with the certification by the county weight/measures so they aren't ripping people off. Between the odometer and the fuel pump entered into Fuelly, I go with those numbers

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
Looks like you already use Fuelly. I trust the odometer to be fairly accurate. DOT would be very unhappy if it wasn't and there would be another VW scandal if it was really bad. I also trust the fuel pump because they have to have the sticker with the certification by the county weight/measures so they aren't ripping people off. Between the odometer and the fuel pump entered into Fuelly, I go with those numbers
If I used that method, I'd be off an entire 0.5 MPG. How do you live with that margin of error? The horror.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
New personal best mpg and first 700 mile tank this evening. She just keeps getting better:

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
Nice ! I have to slow down a bit and start squeezing more miles out of those gallons of diesel fuel.

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
New personal best mpg and first 700 mile tank this evening. She just keeps getting better:

That's really nice!!.You must have learnt how to dodge post injections.:)

When i drive with VAGDPF app in front of me, i get better fuel economy as i can control my foot to dodge post injections.:).

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's really nice!!.You must have learnt how to dodge post injections.:)

When i drive with VAGDPF app in front of me, i get better fuel economy as i can control my foot to dodge post injections.:).
I monitor with ScanGauge II. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by dodging the post injections. My car goes through the full 11-12 minute regen every 250 miles like clockwork, and I grumble as I watch my mpg's go down during that whole time period.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
An excellent tank, impressive! How fast (slow) were going to get over 60 mpg? You could've squeaked out 800 miles on that tank.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An excellent tank, impressive! How fast (slow) were going to get over 60 mpg? You could've squeaked out 800 miles on that tank.
I generally drive 5-10 mph over the speed limit. About half my commute is a 50mph limit rural two laner and I do 55-60. The other half is a dual highway 55 mph limit and I usually do 60.

No way on 800 miles for me. I was at “15 miles to empty” on the MFD. I know there’s a fudge factor built in, but I wouldn’t be comfortable running 85 miles on zero.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
I thought you had more left over. On mine when I get close to "0 miles to empty" mine will take about 13 gallons but I top it off until there is liquid fuel visible. I don't like going past 0 miles left either.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I thought you had more left over. On mine when I get close to "0 miles to empty" mine will take about 13 gallons but I top it off until there is liquid fuel visible. I don't like going past 0 miles left either.
Gotcha. I haven’t done topping off in my two CR TDIs. Never figured out a proper ventectomy procedure and I don’t want to remove the misfuel protector for fear of warranty shenanigans by VW.

I usually get 11.5 gallons or so in at zero. That’s about halfway through the red area on the analog gauge.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
Gotcha. I haven’t done topping off in my two CR TDIs. Never figured out a proper ventectomy procedure and I don’t want to remove the misfuel protector for fear of warranty shenanigans by VW.
I usually get 11.5 gallons or so in at zero. That’s about halfway through the red area on the analog gauge.
I thought the cr engines don't have a ventectomy anymore. I just fill mine until it clicks, pull out halfway and go again until it clicks and by then diesel is about to spill out. I get an extra 3/4 gallon that way

arcaidy

TDI
2015 GSW
This was from a trip we did over the summer. It includes lots of highway but also every stop along the way... time spent in Yellow Stone and other parks, lunches, dinners, shopping stops, etc...

Speed was usually 8 MPH over posted unless we could get away with more. Running though SD we were around 90... No attempt was made to get better MPG. A/C was run 95% of the time.

I found it to be 2 - 3 MPG off on the high side when comparing mileage and pump data. I have no doubt I could have gotten a good bit better MPG had I put a little effort in to it.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Aj--UuJYf5nbg-4GN7Da6vexnJdflQ

4,900 miles @ 46.6 MPG
Averaged 61 MPH

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
So, this has been the first "chilly" spell we've had since I've had the car( 32-42 degrees). First time on way home from work in morning I couldn't get out of the 30mpg range,usually it's upper 40 to lower 50 mpg range. Staying a little over 40mpg,not the upper 40s I'm used to so far. Not sure if the fuel is winter blend yet.

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Looking into a Golfwagen for my wife and was wondering how many miles per tank, which is why I came upon this thread.
Currently she has a Fit and I have a fit on how often we fill the tank, compared to how often I fill my B4V, I can go over 800 miles a tank to her 280 miles.

Be nice if the Golf would have a 18gal. tank like the B4. So, based on what I have read 400 to 500 miles a tank?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looking into a Golfwagen for my wife and was wondering how many miles per tank, which is why I came upon this thread.
Currently she has a Fit and I have a fit on how often we fill the tank, compared to how often I fill my B4V, I can go over 800 miles a tank to her 280 miles.

Be nice if the Golf would have a 18gal. tank like the B4. So, based on what I have read 400 to 500 miles a tank?
I get 600-700 per tank, but I get better mileage than most. If you drive like a bat out of hell, figure 500. That's 11.5 gallons at 43.5 mpg, which seems to be pretty typical for those on here with lead feet.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I do not have a lead foot, typically driving at 65-70 mph on my freeway commute which is the speed limit. my light tends to come on at 500-525 miles per tank.

I am averaging 44-45 MPG in my DSG GSW.

Blue hen has described their commute as 50-55 mph two or 4 lane roads with few stops.

everyone is different. but I would say expect 43mpg+ if you arent lead footing and late stopping every stop light.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
I usually fill up 1/8 to 1/4 tank and get high 400's to low 500's miles to a tank. Average MPG for TDI.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Blue hen has described their commute as 50-55 mph two or 4 lane roads with few stops.
About half of my commute is on a two-lane 50 mph road and I typically drive 55 on it. I've received two speeding warnings from the Caroline County MD sheriff for doing 60, so I had to back it down. The other half is on a 55 mph four lane divided highway and I typically do 60 there. When I drive all the way in to the DC Metro (New Carrollton station), like I did twice last week, about a third of my commute is a 65 zone on US-50 and I do 65. I typically drive 5-10 over the limit, except when the speed limit is above 55. Then I stick to the speed limit. These cars really lose mpg over 60 mph.