TDIClub Secret Society of Benz Owners (SSBO)

NoJoke

Veteran Member
I don't understand why almost all of the 320CDIs are light colors on light colors. Grey on grey, white on grey, etc. It's rare to see one that's a dark exterior color.

White on black, pano roof 55k mi rocketchipped...I like rare:D and I wouldn't take anything less than $5k over perfect market value.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Your STOCK CDI

White on black, pano roof 55k mi rocketchipped...I like rare:D and I wouldn't take anything less than $5k over perfect market value.
:)

Tell me about your chip and how to get ahold of them?

Did it really make that much difference?

Cost, and did you have to send them your computer?

:D

D

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Some Problems with my CDI . . .

My CDI has a couple of problems:

The first one is really not a problem because I have the 'fix' for it and when I have the second more serous problem corrected, I will have the the first one repaired at the same time.

The minor problem is a failed thermostate and I have a new one complete
in a new housing with a new temperature sender and gasket.

The other more serious problem is a leaking fuel injector. It leaks diesel exhaust fumes from where the injector goes into the cylinder head, and there are very strong diesel fumes coming into the cabin.
Even though I recirculate the air within the cabin, that system will only stay activated for five minutes, and then the system shuts off automatically and starts bringing outside air into the interior and of course, those smelly fumes with it.
So every five minutes, when that light goes out, I must reactivate
the recirculating air. Has anyone ever heard of such a system? :confused:

I have new copper washers which are supposed to seal the injectors, but I am not sure that
I have the correct parts. It seems like the washers should be larger somehow?

Has anyone here had experience with their fuel injectors leaking in this manner?

Thanks for any and all help or suggestions.

Derrel

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
My CDI has a couple of problems:
The first one is really not a problem because I have the 'fix' for it and when I have the second more serous problem corrected, I will have the the first one repaired at the same time.
The minor problem is a failed thermostate and I have a new one complete
in a new housing with a new temperature sender and gasket.
The other more serious problem is a leaking fuel injector. It leaks diesel exhaust fumes from where the injector goes into the cylinder head, and there are very strong diesel fumes coming into the cabin.
Even though I recirculate the air within the cabin, that system will only stay activated for five minutes, and then the system shuts off automatically and starts bringing outside air into the interior and of course, those smelly fumes with it.
So every five minutes, when that light goes out, I must reactivate
the recirculating air. Has anyone ever heard of such a system? :confused:
I have new copper washers which are supposed to seal the injectors, but I am not sure that
I have the correct parts. It seems like the washers should be larger somehow?
Has anyone here had experience with their fuel injectors leaking in this manner?
Thanks for any and all help or suggestions.
Derrel
The first (front) fuel injector on my CDI leaked and blew a hole in the valve cover gasket ($$$). It needed a new injector, had to order the valve cover from Germany, and it was OK after that. Wouldn't fool around with this - just have it completely fixed with new components. The fuel injection system is modular so its relatively easy to fix and maintain. It is high pressure with the common rail direct injection system, so any leak is liable to cause a fire from accumulated diesel residue, etc. These cars can go for a long time if you keep up with them and just replace components. The E is used as a taxi in Europe and I believe it can easily go a million miles with the right care and a diesel engine.

TM

Last edited:

yellajacket20

TDI
Jetta
Can I join the SSBO? Here is my new addition.

It's a 1986 300sdl with 264k miles. We drove it 5 hours from St Louis back home this past weekend. It was deathly slow, but I've done a little work on the vacuum lines and bowden cable and this thing can MOVE! It has a few demons that need excised, but it's a lot of car for only $1700!

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Welcome to the club! Glad you got it moving quickly again... Good luck with the rest! :)

n5fee

TDI
JSW 2011
We drove VW Rabbit Diesels starting in 1979. Drove three of them for about 200k miles each. Switched to 1983 MB 300D' for the next 350k each. Recently bought one new TDI JSW and one new Subrau Outback gas. Selling my MB diesels, but still keeping my 1975 450SL with 80,000 original miles.

The new TDI gets about 42-45mpg. The old Rabbits were 45-50mpg. The MB's were not that good. It is nice filling up again.

jwal278

TDI
04 jetta wagon GLS
I has a S&W titanium in a J frame 357 that killed on both ends and sold to a guy who is some years younger them me, that still carries it as his duty gun. Said he had a sore hand for a week after qualifying with the gun. :D

No, no success with trying to clear the service codes. :mad:

Going to check on MB diesel forum this weekend and see if anyone there can help, but I'm thinking MB has me by the short hairs. :eek:
I dont want to imagine the discomfort of shooting a 357 magnum on the titanium j frame. especially if it was a snub nose. my old snub nose aluminum charter arms 38 special with +P ammo was bad enough. I have since gotten rid if it. Terrible gun the charter was.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
I dont want to imagine the discomfort of shooting a 357 magnum on the titanium j frame. especially if it was a snub nose. my old snub nose aluminum charter arms 38 special with +P ammo was bad enough. I have since gotten rid if it. Terrible gun the charter was.
That S&W had titanium cylinder also with a 3" barre and only weighed 13.5 ounces. Think I shot one cylinder of 357 and couple days later dried 38 special and not much difference so I sold him the gun. Says he only shoots the gun for qual's and that it's still tight and only one other detective carrying one. I'll stick with my 10mm 1911's, 2 Colt's and a Dan Wesson.

retmil46

TDI
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD, 87 MB 300D Turbo
1987 300D Turbodiesel - 3 liter inline 6 OM603 engine - the "rocket ship" of 80's/early 90's MB diesels - fastest production diesel car in the world when it came out, top end of 125 mph.

Actually, I'm on my second 87 300D - the first one (in my sig) was t-boned by a cellphone-yakking idiot in a Ford Explorer in December 2008, with only 150K miles on it.:mad:

But the first one is still around - spare parts on the hoof for refitting the second one.

Tschuss_Bill

TDI
2000 Jetta Original Owner, 2005 E320 CDI
Tony, there is a white one listed within 65 miles of my location.
The trouble with it is, he's pricing it higher ($23.5K!) than what the book says they're worth!
He is about six to seven grand overpriced IMHO.
That's the trick, to find one that is clean and has been well cared for at a reasonable price.
To do that, you must locate one before it has fallen into the hands of a dealer.
You want to buy it for what the dealer pays for it, not what they mark it up to!
I'm sure that the local dealer close to the seller that had mine would not allow
him in trade what I paid him for it! He was buying a new (White) one.
That is why this seller sold his privately, even though the dealer knew the
car well as he'd had it serviced regularly there for almost seven years.
The CDIs are not as plentiful here in California because all of them that are here now were
brought into California and registered as 'used' cars because of the
stricter smog rules in force for me diesels in 2005-2006.
All had to have 7,500 miles on their odometers before being brought into California as used.
Most entered just as mine did, and had their required 7,500 miles done on the way
here and within California before being registered here as used cars.
Do an 'Autotrader' search with no distance limitations and there are plenty available, but
you want to find one that had not been where salt is used on the roads during the winter.
Therefore, you are limited to cars that are and have been all of their lives in Texas, Arizona,
California, New Mexxico, Oregon, and Washington States to name a few locations.
To that add your color choice and finding a reasonably priced car,
and you are correct, it will be hard to find.
Good luck with your search. I felt I got lucky for a change! :cool:
D
Yeah, I don't know what book you're looking at. 65k clean 05/06 CDI does not sell for 16 or 17k in this country. I've been in market for over 4 months now. I've come close on a couple examples. You might be able to find 100k+ miles version for that money (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I'm about to pull the trigger on a white/black 05 with every option except fold down rear seats and pano roof. It's got HK stereo, cool/heat/dynamic seats, Nav, active xenon, headlight washers, satellite radio, keyless go and 45k miles it will be ~$24k, a Florida car.

wyrosjr

TDI
2013 passat se tdi 6m white
I have an om642 powered Jeep CRD. It has been a fun toy, I replaced the rear axle with one that had a 3.07 ratio to now average around 25.5 mpg.(up 2.5 from the 3.73) Now it is boring me. Currently I'm pondering new 2011 335d vs the new passat tdi.

Last edited:

wyrosjr

TDI
My wife averages 25.5. Road trips can get up to 28-29 if you stay below 60. However, I probably have the only Jeep diesel cherokee with a 3.07 final drive(2wd). Stock they come with a ridiculous 3.73 ratio that puts you around 2500rpm at 65. Most do average much less than that. My previous car was an 05' passat tdi.

wyrosjr

TDI
My wife averages 25.5. Road trips can get up to 28-29 if you stay below 60. However, I probably have the only Jeep diesel cherokee with a 3.07 final drive(2wd). Stock they come with a ridiculous 3.73 ratio that puts you around 2500rpm at 65. Most do average much less than that. My previous car was an 05' passat tdi.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
This is a Grand Cherokee CRD, right? Those are RARE! Post some pictures!

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have an om642 powered Jeep CRD. It has been a fun toy, I replaced the rear axle with one that had a 3.07 ratio to now average around 25.5 mpg.(up 2.5 from the 3.73) Now it is boring me. Currently I'm pondering new 2011 335d vs the new passat tdi.
Interesting comparison.

There are only a few new 335d's left on dealer lots as 2011 is the last year of production for this model.

My wife didn't like the Passat's styling. I figured it to be less of a sports car, which is what I was really looking for, but needed a sedan.

The 335d is wicked, stupid fast. I was just online trying to find out why. Its pretty interesting.

The real number to look at, IMO, is the acceleration from 80-120 km/h in 4th gear. What this means is that in real driving, a 335d can outrun an M3 and likely most other "performance" cars out there. The data are hard to find, but from BMW's own figures, an M3 has an 80-120 km/hr in 4th gear accel of 5.1 sec while a 330d (less powerful version than the 335d) is 4.8! These figures of course change with type of transmission and gearing, but the point is that with the 335d "you can have your cake and eat it too" an unusual combination. I wouldn't usually drive this way anyway, so its more of a reserve for accelerating in certain situations, and its quite an experience when I try it!

The problem, as usual, is the EPA which insists on pegging mpg's for diesels lower than they really are, so the new BMW 4 cylinder twin turbo direct injection gasoline 3 series looks as good on paper as the 335d. This makes it hard to market a replacement. Its possible that they won't have one in the future or perhaps only a 4 cylinder 320d for us.

The Passat TDI seems like a very nice car, but it is built in a new plant and is in its first model year of production. It might be better to wait a few years for VW to work out any problems with this model.

TM

Last edited:

wyrosjr

TDI
My main concerns for both are :1. What kind of reliability will it have? 2. What are the engine flaws?I've always wanted a bmw 3 with a manual transmission. On the other hand, I really enjoyed my Passat tdi but it I was extremely lucky to have sold it before all the information about the balance shaft/camshafts came about. So I definitely have some trust issues with volkswagen, knowingly doing some of the things that they do.

With knowledge of that I figured the mercedes engine would be perfect. It had more power and reputation of mercedes diesels with it. Unfortunately, I have found it is quirky as well. I have to run a road draft tube for the pcv just to keep the swirl flaps clean. The intake design is a joke. If you change the oil incorrectly, you can permanently damage the motor! I find all that to be ridiculous and I'm worried BMW will have the same things going on. Dpf's and cats are strangling the competitive edge of the diesel in performance and fuel economy. Probably I am looking at removing them on the om642 if I find the right tune to go with it.
Diesels are great, I love them for their engine characteristics and performance. Why should we have to reverse engineer them just to get natural advantages? Anyway, I'd love to hear someone give me the true rundown of these two cars or point me in the right direction.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My main concerns for both are :1. What kind of reliability will it have? 2. What are the engine flaws?I've always wanted a bmw 3 with a manual transmission. On the other hand, I really enjoyed my Passat tdi but it I was extremely lucky to have sold it before all the information about the balance shaft/camshafts came about. So I definitely have some trust issues with volkswagen, knowingly doing some of the things that they do.

With knowledge of that I figured the mercedes engine would be perfect. It had more power and reputation of mercedes diesels with it. Unfortunately, I have found it is quirky as well. I have to run a road draft tube for the pcv just to keep the swirl flaps clean. The intake design is a joke. If you change the oil incorrectly, you can permanently damage the motor! I find all that to be ridiculous and I'm worried BMW will have the same things going on. Dpf's and cats are strangling the competitive edge of the diesel in performance and fuel economy. Probably I am looking at removing them on the om642 if I find the right tune to go with it.
Diesels are great, I love them for their engine characteristics and performance. Why should we have to reverse engineer them just to get natural advantages? Anyway, I'd love to hear someone give me the true rundown of these two cars or point me in the right direction.
To some extent if you are buying new, the way to avoid the drawbacks of engine compromising emission controls is the urea injection route. It will add cost and future maintenance (perhaps) but the engine is a bit more free of some of the more severe compromises to performance and longevity that come from smog regulations since the urea injection helps clean up the exhaust after it leaves the engine, allowing for the diesel to be free to "power up" more in its tuning.

The 335d has been around for 3 years in the US and so far no known "issues" with the engine. The motor itself has been around in different iterations for longer than that and BMW is developing it further for its new M5 triple turbodiesel. They are still using it in the current X5, having only discontinued the 335d.

Interestingly enough, the 2011 now has a different engine oil recommendation - only BMW brand - which may offer a specific advantage over the usual recommended diesel fill.

If you look at any of the European BMW official sites, you'll find out they have a 316d, a 318d, a couple of 320d's, a 330d, and a 335d - this just for the 3 series! I believe they have a good reputation for their diesels.

My concern would be how good the dealer service tech is near you and if you have a private mechanic that knows his stuff around these cars. I do. He's German too.

TM

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am fond of the 2005-2006 inline 6 CDI E-class Mercedes that came over to the US and how robust it seems to be. It was running perfectly when I sold it to my mechanic at 203,000 miles. Issues with it seem to be with the injectors, some of which need replacement and can leak causing quite a mess. Other issues can be the glow plugs and EGR. Mine started to have a valve tapping noise after startup at around 200,000 miles. I used 0W40 Mobil-1 its whole life and changed the oil per recommended schedule. It "preferred" branded diesel (as opposed to fuel with unkown sources of additive or lack thereof).

TM

wyrosjr

TDI
I am set on doing my own services(Filters, oil, glow plugs etc, diagnostics, etc.). Is this doable on the 335d?

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am set on doing my own services(Filters, oil, glow plugs etc, diagnostics, etc.). Is this doable on the 335d?
Once you are past the free service, which is 4 years, 50,000 miles, it shouldn't be a stretch for you to do the basic service like oil/filter changes and such things as brakes and even glow plugs, especially with a proper OBDII meter with specific code capabilities for this model.

Don't think suspension would be much of a problem either, knowing friends who do their own work extensively. Depends on how good you are and how much trouble you're willing to go through.

But if you are talking about the engine internals, turbo, transmission, computer, and some of the electrical systems, it may be similar to other cars of modern build. Haven't looked at any repair manuals available, but some should be acceptable. There are some online already for the 335d but don't know how good they are: http://www.automotix.net/autorepair/diy/bmw-335d-repair.html

TM

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
I guess it's time for me to step forward in light of the invitation from a fellow TDI'er......

I am(as of this past weekend) the proud owner of a 2005 Mercedes E320 CDI with 101K on it. Non panoramic roof(glad about that). Lots of features of luxury that I'm really not used to having. I just can't believe that there are cars out there that are made that function as well as this does. Smoothest running diesel I have seen ever. It is amazingly powerful and extremely tourqey. Interior fit and finish is second to none, and on the trip from North Carolina to Florida(with a bad thermostat keeping temps too low) it got just a hair under 37 MPG. I will be ordering a 92 C thermostat for it really soon. I now understand why these cars are hard to find at reasonable prices.

moosejaw

Veteran Member
TDI
*Sold* 2005 Passat GLS TDI Shadow Blue
I bought my '05 Passat tdi in Dec '04, and I traded it last Friday for an '05 E320 CDI. I also have a '85 300SD with 307k on the clock that runs great. Lets see if the photos work. The cdi has 96k miles and I paid $18k for it. I have been searching for 3 months for one of these to pop up close enough to Saint Louis and this one appeared at a local dealer.

Of course I have already ordered a new thermostat because it is stuck open and running at 60C or lower. I love this car, it is a rocket ship on the highway. :)

I took off the dealer plate frame and put on my TDICLUB.com plate frame on the rear. Meanwhile the 300sd marks its territory really well.

Last edited:

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
Nice color!!!
The thermostat was the first item I changed :)

I bought my '05 Passat tdi in Dec '04, and I traded it last Friday for an '05 E320 CDI. I also have a '85 300SD with 307k on the clock that runs great. Lets see if the photos work. The cdi has 96k miles and I paid $18k for it. I have been searching for 3 months for one of these to pop up close enough to Saint Louis and this one appeared at a local dealer.

Of course I have already ordered a new thermostat because it is stuck open and running at 60C or lower. I love this car, it is a rocket ship on the highway. :)

I took off the dealer plate frame and put on my TDICLUB.com plate frame on the rear. Meanwhile the 300sd marks its territory really well.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!

The car I just purchased has the same color and Xenon headlights too. It's nice looking for sure, and I love the light output! Just did my Thermostat last friday evening. Took about 45 minutes. Used a vacuum device to remove all the coolant from the reservoir, and then went to town on the thermostat. I didn't remove the oil filter cap like most others do, and didn't have too much trouble getting the old T-stat out and the new one in. Didn't even loose a drop of coolant BTW. There are 4 fasteners that secure the T-stat. 3 in the T-stat framework that secures it to the head, and one that goes in through the bracket at the front of the engine directly into the T-stat housing. I was struggling to reach 80C, and now run 92C easily. I believe I picked up a mpg or two from the change FWIW.

Last edited: