mechatronic unit

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
does anyone know what is involved to replace the mechatronic unit? I am not going to replace one, but my dealer is, and they say it is three days of labor, I was just curious as to what would take three days. The car is an 06 with about 58,000 on it.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
Not a pretty job, but it should only be an 8 hour shift if they have never done this job before. Probably an hour or two for the tear down, another hour for complete inspection of the Transmission, and the old Mechatronic, and another hour or so to button it up with the new Mechatronic unit in palce.
The Bentley indicates nothing special, such as removing the Engine/Transmission from the vehicle. The job appears to be a little more tedious than a 40K DSG Fluid change (which, of course, you will also get in the process).

Last edited:

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
4 Hours at best, most of the time putting fluid back in the transmission. If they say 3 days they are using untrained chimpanzee's that are not VW certified.. the certified chimpanzees can do it in 2 days.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
Mechatronic = the brains inside your DSG Transmission.

There is an idler arm (of sorts) that is important, and is used to sense, and initiate any upshift/downhift functions. If this arm is damaged, then a new unit has to be installed. Hopefully the OPs unit is not damaged when they put the new unit in place. The Mechatronic unit feeds off of information from the ECM, and other controllers to make decisions on whether to upshift or downshift.
Various seals and gaskets will have to put in NEW when the tranny is put back together, along with the new DSG Fluid (oil).

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
Its my mom's car. She had just gotten off of the highway on to the access road, and then the car wouldn't shift out of first, and the gear indicator lights were blinking. She put it in neutral and coasted and had to put it in drive for just another second to pull into the parking lot of her work. She had it towed to the dealer, and they drove it, and could not get it to recreate the condition, but they said they believed her that something was wrong with it. They called the people in Germany, and they said to reset the computer and let her keep driving it until the new Mechatronic unit comes in.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Not to be disheartening but, this assumes they really ordered the part. "Forgetting" to order is one of the tricks. Maybe you will have a good experience though.

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
I am pretty sure they ordered it. They were supposedly talking to the people in the factory over in Germany, and they said that the part has to be custom built for the specific vin, and that it would take three weeks. My only worry is that they don't mess anything else up while they are trying to fix this problem.