2015 Golf TDI with 150,000 miles. How much longer am I covered?

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
So I purchased my car about a year and a half ago (summer of 2017)). It had 100,000 miles on it when I purchased it from a used car lot. It had stage 1 of the fix done already. I have not done stage 2 yet and just clicked over 150,000 miles.

How much of the dieselgate warranty do I have left? I want to stretch it as long as possible. Back when I was doing a ton of research on it, I thought if I had stage 2 done at 160,000 miles it would cover me for an additional 100,000 miles (260,000 total). But it's been a while and wanted to check in to see.

DIVISIONINCISION

TDI
2011 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI SE
So I purchased my car about a year and a half ago (summer of 2017)). It had 100,000 miles on it when I purchased it from a used car lot. It had stage 1 of the fix done already. I have not done stage 2 yet and just clicked over 150,000 miles.
How much of the dieselgate warranty do I have left? I want to stretch it as long as possible. Back when I was doing a ton of research on it, I thought if I had stage 2 done at 160,000 miles it would cover me for an additional 100,000 miles (260,000 total). But it's been a while and wanted to check in to see.
It should cover your for the life of the vehicle, given that it already had 100K on it.

Why didn't you get a fresher, younger TDI with fewer miles? They were out there and could be had for cheap.

The 2011 JSW TDI I just purchased had only 26K on it and cost me $12,100 OTD.

:confused:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
IIRC your phase 1 dieselgate warranty will expire at 162,000 mi from new (could have the exact figure wrong but it's not far from that). Getting phase 2 done resets the warranty but you will already be past the 10 year / 162,000 mi from new condition and for the extension the 4 year / 48,000 mi from time and mileage of fix condition will apply. I may have the numbers slightly wrong but that's the gist of it.

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
How much of the dieselgate warranty do I have left?
It seems as though you have 70k of warranty coverage remaining for your 2015 Gen 3. 10k remaining from Phase 1 and an additional 60k if Phase 2 is done at 160k. If you were to let the car go out of warranty for some amount of time after 160k, it seems as though getting the phase 2 done would bring the car back under warranty (assuming there is not an eligibility clause for getting the Phase 2 done while still under warranty)

If you bought your 2015 Gen 3 with 100k, the greater of clause would put your warranty as "5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the
date and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification. At the time of the subsequent Phase 2 modification, the extended warranty will be honored for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the completion of Phase 2."

This document states that getting the phase two modification does not impact (change) the warranty terms (on a Gen 3).

The warranty period for the “Extended
Emissions Warranty” continues to be the greater of:
• 11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in- service date; OR
• 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage
of Phase 2
The warranty booklet for Gen 3 additionally lists changes in which parts are replaced depending on how many miles are on the car (auto v man). These changes are listed on page six of the booklet.

If your car exceeds 40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) we will install updated emissions control system hardware - specifically a new Diesel Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic Reduction Converter - that is needed to maintain emissions performance for the full useful life (150,000 miles) of your vehicle.

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
So, it sounds like at 162,000 if I got phase 2 done, I would he covered until 222,000 then? That's how I am understanding it at least.

When the 2015 models came out, I loved them and wanted one badly. But I wanted to get a barely used one to save some $. Dieselgate followed and the only ones I could FIND for sale people were asking $8,000-$10,000 above what they paid new and the cars had 30-40k driven on them already. I wasn't going to get ripped off, so I waited. In the summer of 2017 finally I started finding somewhat reasonable prices. The cheapest one I found was my perfect shape mint condition 2015 with 100k on it for $13,000. It was actually a good deal at that time. Unfortunately for me, 6 months to a year later, you could buy a 2015 with 40k on it for $12,000. So, it was purely a timing thing. My car is still in mint shape, and obviously for the timeframe and the miles, you can see I drive a LOT. I have yet to have a single issue with mine, and hope that luck continues, but it's nice having a warranty just in case.

DIVISIONINCISION

TDI
In the summer of 2017 finally I started finding somewhat reasonable prices. The cheapest one I found was my perfect shape mint condition 2015 with 100k on it for $13,000. It was actually a good deal at that time. Unfortunately for me, 6 months to a year later, you could buy a 2015 with 40k on it for $12,000.
Remember, that the value of the car is both the condition and mileage.

That 2015 you purchased with 100K on it wasn't worth $13K.

For comparison, the 2011 JSW TDI I purchased this past week had only 26K and was in pristine condition without any mechanical flaws and news tires for $12,100K OTD.

I'd rather have the low mileage TDI if we're paying about the same price.

:cool:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Remember, that the value of the car is both the condition and mileage.
That 2015 you purchased with 100K on it wasn't worth $13K.
For comparison, the 2011 JSW TDI I purchased this past week had only 26K and was in pristine condition without any mechanical flaws and news tires for $12,100K OTD.
I'd rather have the low mileage TDI if we're paying about the same price.

He bought a two year old car for $13k. You bought a 7 year old car for $12.1k. Seems like you may have overpaid.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The car has a phase 1 tune. You have no warranty.
No one has mentioned an aftermarket "tune" yet. So far all that has been discussed is part one or part two of the VW emissions fix. There is still warranty left to some extent. Don't confuse things.

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
So I agree. My car was 2 years old when I got it for $13k. I will also mention again the market value at the time was significantly higher than it was just a short time later for the 2015 model. My 2015 is a MUCH better designed car than the 2011 Jetta (much better mileage and power, not to mention comfort). The 7 year old car you bought is not anywhere near the value of my 2 year old car at that time. I saw several 2013 and 2014 models for $12k with 40,000-50,000 miles on them that I gladly passed on just for the higher mileage mint condition CRUA engine my 2015 offered.

For the tune. I have the factory tune in the car. Nothing has been modified to my car beyond the stage 1 fix yet. Once my warranty has fully expired for stage 2, I likely will get a Malone tune with an aftermarket exhaust. But until then I want the coverage the warranty gives me.

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI, 2007 Dodge Cummins QC 4X4 6 sp, 2007 John Deere 3120
He bought a two year old car for $13k. You bought a 7 year old car for $12.1k. Seems like you may have overpaid.
This is exactly what I thought. It sounds to me that the OP is going to get a hell of a value out of that $13k.

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
No one has mentioned an aftermarket "tune" yet. So far all that has been discussed is part one or part two of the VW emissions fix. There is still warranty left to some extent. Don't confuse things.
My bad. I saw stage 1 and got confused. Sorry.

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
This is exactly what I thought. It sounds to me that the OP is going to get a hell of a value out of that $13k.
Oh, I already have! I had done a lot of research on the 2015 TDI's and wanted one ever since they came out. It was literally the exact car I wanted. It was perfect for my long commute to work and daily driving that I do. I have owned the car a year and a half and already put on more than 50,000 miles. I love taking care of it with all it's regular maintenance and cleaning to keep it in that same mint shape it was when I bought it. I often ask people when they ride with me "how many miles do you think this has on it", and the highest number so far was "40,000 miles". They all are shocked when they find out I'm up to 150,000 miles now. The car has never given me any issues maintenance wise (minus one headlight that occasionally gets condensation on, which since they are vented headlights there does not seem to be anything I can do about it other than put a light bulb near it when it's parked to dry it out). I fully expect many more miles of enjoyment without maintenance issues.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My 2004 diesel Excursion was the same way. It had over 300k miles on it and the one time I had it at the dealer they couldn't believe the condition for that many miles. It was almost like new they said.

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Sportwagen '15 Golf Hatch
I bought a 2015 Golf TDI S DSG new for $18000 in 5/2017. I also bought a 2015 Golf sportwagen TDI S new for $20000 in 5/2017. These were great prices but could actually be found for less IIRC. Both had stage 1 on them. That 100k car you got was well overpriced. I'm glad you think it was OK but even you have to admit your timing was lousy.

DIVISIONINCISION

TDI
Mileage matters more.

Mine was in pristine condition with only 26K miles. It was a garaged vehicle that was barely driven.

His car has over 100K on it, not to mention the wear and tear of those miles.

Not only did I make out, but I got a deal. The original price was $15,8 and I paid $10,7+ TTL.

I bought a 2015 Golf TDI S DSG new for $18000 in 5/2017. I also bought a 2015 Golf sportwagen TDI S new for $20000 in 5/2017. These were great prices but could actually be found for less IIRC. Both had stage 1 on them. That 100k car you got was well overpriced. I'm glad you think it was OK but even you have to admit your timing was lousy.
He thinks that there's value in paying $13K for a 2-year old car w/ over 100K miles on it. Putting 100K miles on a car in two years is not your average wear and tear. That's beyond daily driver type wear. There's no value in buying a car with an excess of 100K miles unless you are getting it much cheaper than blue book.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mileage matters more.
Mine was in pristine condition with only 26K miles. It was a garaged vehicle that was barely driven.
His car has over 100K on it, not to mention the wear and tear of those miles.
Not only did I make out, but I got a deal. The original price was $15,8 and I paid $10,7+ TTL.

I see low mileage 11's all over for $10k and under. Your car probably belonged to some grandma who just used it to get to the grocery store. Most of the time it sat around gathering cobwebs and condensation. That's the worst kind of use for a tdi. Call911's car undoubtedly saw lots of highway miles, which is what they like. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if your engine has twice the wear that his does.

Just as a general tip, people don't like to be told that they overpaid. It's poor form. He already commented that he probably could have got a better deal if he had waited a bit longer. But nobody knew what was going to happen, and a lot of members here picked up mk7's before the prices started to decline.

DIVISIONINCISION

TDI
I see low mileage 11's all over for $10k and under. Your car probably belonged to some grandma who just used it to get to the grocery store. Most of the time it sat around gathering cobwebs and condensation. That's the worst kind of use for a tdi. Call911's car undoubtedly saw lots of highway miles, which is what they like. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if your engine has twice the wear that his does.

The condition is pristine. It was owned by a well-to-do retired guy living in a nice area of Houston (The Woodlands) who didn't drive it much. He probably had other cars which is why this one didn't get much use.

A car with 100K miles in two year is in NO WAY, SHAPE or FORM in good condition compared to a car with 26K miles. No comparison. My car isn't due for any major repairs for years.....

For what I paid, I'm very happy. I won't see 100K miles on this JSW TDI for several years, even as a daily driver.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
As long as everyone is happy with their car and what they paid at the time, it doesn't matter. I bought a stop sale Beetle tdi and I paid way more than any of you. But I wanted a new car not used and the full warranty that went with it. If you get what you want, when you want it, for what you are willing to pay, then no one else's opinion matters.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Agreed. It just strikes me as very gauche for a newb to come into the forum and immediately start telling other members that they paid too much for their car. Zero style points there.

DIVISIONINCISION

TDI
Agreed. It just strikes me as very gauche for a newb to come into the forum and immediately start telling other members that they paid too much for their car. Zero style points there.
I'm a newcomer to the forum, but not new to owning VW's or to life. I don't care about style points or other people's opinions.

Well it is the web. You can't be too thin skinned.
That's true, but I have found thin-skinned people in Austin, which is right next door to you in Round Rock!

:D

Last edited:

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
I don't care about ...other people's opinions.

It’s high time you start. Being a blowhard and not showing manners or respect is what jackasses and trolls do. Show you’re not one and folks won’t respond to you the way they have been.

DIVISIONINCISION

TDI
It’s high time you start. Being a blowhard and not showing manners or respect is what jackasses and trolls do. Show you’re not one and folks won’t respond to you the way they have been.
Yeah, well, y’know, that’s just like, uh... your OPINION, man.” —The Dude

This is rich coming from the guy with this quote in his sig.

:rolleyes:

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Yeah, well, y’know, that’s just like, uh... your OPINION, man.” —The Dude

This is rich coming from the guy with this quote in his sig.

I put that quote in my signature as satire after a few instances where posters chose to disregard facts and dismiss analysis as “merely opinion.” In a culture marred by constant claims of fake news, by conspiracy theories and magical thinking, I put a premium on facts and reason.

In a weird way you kinda made my point for me, lol.

The Big Lebowski is a satirical movie, in case you didn’t realize. The Dude is not my role model, but I enjoyed the movie, lol.

Last edited: