2005 Passat TDI Won't Start

jwpoole09

TDI
2005 Passat 2.0L TDI
Was hoping to get some help with my car 2005 Passat TDI 2.0 240k miles

I was driving home from work and my car shut off when i pulling into my driveway. I then tried to restart and all lights etc turned out when i turned the key like normal but nothing happened when i tried to start it. (no starter turn or clicks) i replaced the starter 2 months ago. I though my battery may be on its way out so i had it tested and it was on its way out.

i bought a new battery and put it in. It got the starter cranking real slow. I then hooked my pickup up to my car battery and it got the starter spinning. The car started but then died 30 seconds later. When it died it sounded like it stalled out like a manual (but its an automatic) it kept doing that.

I checked my fuel pump in the trunk and i can hear it humming when i turn the key and it pumps still just after the car dies then i can hear it shut off. I then replaced the fuel filter. I primed it with fuel and it did the same thing when i started it (no longer needs the truck hooked up to it).

But now it only turns over and doesn't try to start. Any ideas?

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
you may have lost high pressure fuel from the tandem pump. Connect your truck up again then crank the passat for 5 seconds and rest for 5 seconds, keep doing this till it starts

jwpoole09

TDI
2005 Passat 2.0L TDI
Tried this with no luck, it does shutter like it is going to start but never does

whitrock

TDI
05' jetta tdi 1.9
might try a rag with gas on it, enough to drip a little, put in breather on air filter just make sure cant get sucked into turbo, if it starts and tries to run then it will definitely be a fuel delivery problem.

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
might try a rag with gas on it, enough to drip a little, put in breather on air filter just make sure cant get sucked into turbo, if it starts and tries to run then it will definitely be a fuel delivery problem.
Gas??

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Si, you can use gas as a starting fluid in a diesel.

Years ago i worked at a rental store, we would use a little squiet can with 2 cycle fuel to cheat off old diesels in winter.

Just a little squrit or two.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
When you try to start it, does the tachometer needle move at all? If if does not, your crankshaft position sensor may be bad.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
OH, you should change your meme to that. Haha