ahu from mk3 to B3

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Update:

The Wisconsin transmission went to the car wash last night and got cleaned up. Tonight it got serviced, new drive flange seals, guide tube and the new release bearing installed as well as draining out the old fluid. New fluid will go in once it's in the car.

New guide tube / seal and release bearing:

Fluid drained and new drive flange seals installed.

Here she is back in the garage next to the Omaha CTN transmission. My 'cleaning out' that happened over the past couple of years is starting to reverse itself...uh oh!

And here's an obligatory picture of the Mk3 sitting in the drive while I was working on the trans.

All for tonight, tomorrow night the engine gets pulled from the stand and the flywheel and new clutch gets fitted as well as the Wisc transmission.

I'm toying with the idea of swapping the B4 shifter assembly with the Polo (a topic discussed at length in prior pages) since I've found a Mk4 shifter box and 02J shift tower. This will also work nicely when I go to do the 6 speed kit sometime later this year.

I'm finally getting close to putting this thing in the car!!

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
And I forgot...I dragged this one home too...

Came from the same car the damaged trans (and other parts) came from.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
No pics tonight, I'll add one later, too tired and need to get to bed.

The engine is off the stand now, flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate installed.

I had some new flywheel bolts on the shelf that I'd bought for a Mk2 diesel car that didn't end up getting used before the car got sold so I was happy to use those on this project. I also had some pressure plate bolts that were from the same project that I wanted to use but those were not compatible because of the different type clutches (020 vs 02A) so I reused the PP bolts from the old clutch. VW doesn't say you must replace those every time so I think it'll be alright.

I wanted to get the trans mounted but that will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
So the weather here is now rotten. The heat is just oppressive and if it weren't for my old furnace squirrel cage fan I'd be really hating it.

Last night pulled the pressure plate to verify that I'd cleaned everything thoroughly. Reinstalled and torqued to specs, everything looks good. Swapped direction on the engine lift so the tail end of the engine was to the open end of the engine lift. Refitted the transmission to the engine and then added a few little bits like the passenger engine mount bracket, inner passenger cover plate near the passenger drive axle, starter and front engine mount bracket.

I should have engine / trans installed into the car today but before that happens I need to add in the AC lines and txv at the firewall. Doing that later seems like it might be a pita.

I'm really curious as to what the ride height will be after this settles in. Since I used Mk3 front springs and the markings were consistent with B4 tdi cars I'm hoping that it'll settle down reasonably well without going too far. Since I intend to drive this in the winter I can't have a setup with minimal ground clearance.

I have noticed though that on cars where I've swapped out the old Mk2 style mounts for the newer 'plus' mounts that ride height can actually increase a little although that's probably due more to new mounts versus old etc.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Well the day finally came, engine installed in the car. I finished up the AC work, TXV and piping and then proceeded to install the engine. Everything went in and lined up perfectly.

It was absolutely horrible outside and not a lot better inside but at least I was out of the sun and I had this to make the situation more bearable.

There's still a lot of reassembly to do but at least I now feel like I'm on the downhill side of the project, at least as far as the drive line.

Steve

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Looking good! It will be so worth it when you actually get to drive it. I've finally hit 10,000 miles on my swap. Good feeling.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Looking good! It will be so worth it when you actually get to drive it. I've finally hit 10,000 miles on my swap. Good feeling.
It's slow, but now I'm kind of reinvigorated to get things buttoned up. I worked a little on the PS tonight but got interrupted by a friend who needed the engine hoist and that took about an hour of my very slim time.

Tomorrow at work I'm going to get the 02J shifter box / cables / shift tower (we got in a Mk4 Golf) and order up the Polo box. Since the exhaust isn't in yet and won't be for a while I'll get this little conversion over and done with. I might also get the transmission just so I'll have a case for the guts of the ruined 02A but that's not decided yet.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Ordered the Polo shifter box and parts today, I'll get the 02J shifter tomorrow and then there will be no more complaining about it...lol

I ran across these while I was deleting pics from the phone today, had forgotten I'd taken pics of this car when I first saw it over a year ago. I took these on 6/21/2014 and the car was delivered on 7/27/2014. Although the weather has been obnoxious here and will be through the latter part of next week I'm hoping that the reassembly will be done and perhaps a running engine will be recorded on the anniversary.

Here it is parked under the apple tree where it had lived for about four years. Prior to that it had lived at an auto repair shop for about four years. The last time it was actually driven was sometime back in 2007. It hasn't been plated / registered since then. The passenger rear window was down about a quarter inch, the rear hatch wouldn't latch either and of course the roof leaked via the driver front sunroof drain and the roof panel seams. And then of course there was the big missing body plug that let mice in / out freely.

The last photo is of the roof, and that's after I removed the old coil spring mattress and a large old window fan that had been tossed up there. Also notice the cat reclining on the roof in the first picture.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Bad news, 1stVWparts is out of the Polo / Lupo shifter box kit for Mk3/B4. They don't know when they'll be getting more because they come from VW classic parts I guess.

I either have to wait (could be quite a while) or try sourcing a used one via alternate source.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Did you order one? That and the lupo box / O2j shifter mod make the car sweet to drive.
I did, and they cancelled the order the next day. I received an email stating that they were out (odd that they still allow people to buy them) and they didn't know when they would be getting more since they come from classic VW parts. This was 1stVWparts.com.

I did notice that you can order one via ecstuning but they clearly state that it won't ship until late August.

My next stop is Frans, although I sent him a PM a while back and other than a redirect to send him my email I've heard nothing. I think he's being inundated with stuff right now. I also contacted another seller in the Netherlands but haven't heard back and probably wont since I doubt they want to ship it to the US.

I did get the 02J shifter assembly / cables and shift tower today so I have that much of it at this point. Now I just need to get the Polo box and the shift finger / bottom cover and I'll be all set.

Steve

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
more than a couple have made the 02J shift box fit, I don't see why you wouldn't try. Then again many don't try things without direct guidance. See how the 02J box fits and get that swap done ;)

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
more than a couple have made the 02J shift box fit, I don't see why you wouldn't try. Then again many don't try things without direct guidance. See how the 02J box fits and get that swap done ;)
I don't need the guidance, I just don't want to do hacking and cutting in the tunnel when I have four perfectly good mounting points and a shifter box available that will fit like it was meant to go there.

I'd rather spend the $$ to buy the correct box rather than futz around trying to make something else work.

Steve

Last edited:

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't need the guidance, I just don't want to do hacking and cutting in the tunnel when I have four perfectly good mounting points and a shifter box available that will fit like it was meant to go there.

I'd rather spend the $$ to buy the correct box rather than futz around trying to make something else work.

Steve
That was exactly my line of thinking.

You can email Dutch Auto Parts through their website too, might be another avenue to try.

I got my Polo box through a vendor who took several months to get it to me and then promptly removed it from the catalog or I'd send you my source.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left

Steve
A few people just space theirs down so the tunnel doesn't get modified. I know TDIDaveNH did this and made foam spacers to close the gap. He gave me his leftover foam and the template to do my sedan later this year.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
A few people just space theirs down so the tunnel doesn't get modified. I know TDIDaveNH did this and made foam spacers to close the gap. He gave me his leftover foam and the template to do my sedan later this year.
Exactly. To each his own :p

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Exactly. To each his own :p
True, I don't fault anyone for doing their own thing, but I prefer to do it this way.

I'm still on the hunt for the Polo box, Netherlands seller never responded to my question about shipping to the US so that might be a no-go.

I have the Mk4 shifter box and cables home now along with the shift tower and lower piece which I might not need anyway, but someone had already removed the drive shafts and flanges from the 03 Golf so I didn't feel bad about going after the tower. Oddly enough I don't remember those drive shafts / flanges crossing the counter and being sold. What I do remember is someone coming up with the glovebox and other things and then trying to claim it came from a 98 Golf...to which I replied, "we don't have a 98 Golf, looks more like it's from the 2003 Golf."

I'm going to be ordering the eurotuning 6 speed conversion shortly, can't wait for that to get here...

I'll also email Dutch Auto Parts about a Polo box...

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Pic update...02J shifter and shift tower for the shifter box conversion. I still am trying to source the Polo box, waiting on some responses for that stuff.

Also ordering the eurotuning six speed conversion now so if the install requires pulling engine / trans back out to fit it'll be a quick job since there's so little actually refitted at this point.

Test fitted the Mk3 downpipe and catalyst to see if the forward pipe fork mount will clear the B3 sub frame, which it will but there's not a lot of room to work with for fitting the exhaust hanger. Which is why I nabbed the Mk4 exhaust hanger pictured below, it fits the same size fork as the Mk3 type (above it) but is smaller and easier to fit on the B3 since the sub frame is so narrow back there unlike the MK3.

All for now, work still a pita and weather very hot.

When I have the 6 speed conversion on the way I'll figure out what I need to do to fit it. If I have to pull the drive train back out to install it easily I will.

Steve

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Saw your post in the other thread. If you're B3 has the same metal "wing" in the wheel well (plastic in MK4) *and* you are at a point where yanking the engine and transmission is not too much of a chore, then I would take it out again. And do it out of the car. To do it in the car would require a significant lowering of the subframe which would be a similar amount of effort.

I had a fair bit of back and forth with euro tuning before payment, but yes they require payment via bank transfer before they will ship. Given that it's summer, you may encounter the same lack of communication I had due to holidays.

CRSMP5

Veteran Member
TDI
idi
i have a 020 in my b3 :) yea modded that... with a 1.6td been running this set up in b3 since 02... started in a sedan.. moved into white wagon in 06

if you need a b4 rad, ac, ic lines hoses and stuff.. i know where a set is, guy put the tdi in a caddy.. the rad and ac condensor were used for 6 mo before car got rear ended and totaled... located cortland ohio area... heater box and all i think.. for full ac swap so lines and all fit

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
There is so little room between the side wing and the transmission case I don't see how doing it in the car is even possible.
I know it's possible, because I had to take the side cover back off once it was installed - I blame the mechanic. :D

I got the shim adjustment wrong and initially it was popping out of gear. I dropped the subframe on the driver's side and took the cover back off to readjust.

Make sure the transmission is level when you adjust the 5/6th rod shims.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
i have a 020 in my b3 :) yea modded that... with a 1.6td been running this set up in b3 since 02... started in a sedan.. moved into white wagon in 06

if you need a b4 rad, ac, ic lines hoses and stuff.. i know where a set is, guy put the tdi in a caddy.. the rad and ac condensor were used for 6 mo before car got rear ended and totaled... located cortland ohio area... heater box and all i think.. for full ac swap so lines and all fit
I remember your car, I've seen pictures of it and we PM'd back and forth some on vortex I think. I think at this point I've purchased all the parts I need but I'll keep it in mind if I end up not having something, like the correct TDI PS pipe / hose.

At one time you were talking about putting a 1.6 NA idi in another B3. I remember thinking that that would be one underpowered B3...:D

There is so little room between the side wing and the transmission case I don't see how doing it in the car is even possible.
It's probably possible but it would need to be lowered at least six inches on that end to clear the wing, and that I think would need to be accomplished by dropping both sub frames on that side. My preference would be to not do any of that since the new sub frames are in and all buttoned up.

Saw your post in the other thread. If you're B3 has the same metal "wing" in the wheel well (plastic in MK4) *and* you are at a point where yanking the engine and transmission is not too much of a chore, then I would take it out again. And do it out of the car. To do it in the car would require a significant lowering of the subframe which would be a similar amount of effort.

I had a fair bit of back and forth with euro tuning before payment, but yes they require payment via bank transfer before they will ship. Given that it's summer, you may encounter the same lack of communication I had due to holidays.
Yep, the B3 has the same inner structure as the B4, only the outer skin was changed below the greenhouse.

At this point I've only connected the PS lines and reinstalled the PS and WP pulleys so it's not all that much to yank it back out and do the work on the floor so I think if I can get the transaction done and the item shipped I'll just be in a holding pattern until it gets here and this can be done.

You could be right, perhaps in summer they don't respond very quickly to emails about the gearbox kit. I'll try again and see if I can't get somewhere.

Thanks for the comments guys

Steve

CRSMP5

Veteran Member
TDI
idi
found that guy a b4 tdi.... which is the one that got arss plowed for the b4 tdi pieces... :) so no na one made it... but how many 700$ plugged intake b4 you know of... LOL.. the seller refused to hear it as dealer told him his turbo bad... nope plugged intake..

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Frans emailed me today and he has the 6N0 TDI shifter box I need, so that's another item to scratch off the list.

This isn't his or my photo but it's what the new shifter box looks like. Direct fit to Mk3 / B3.

Steve

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
It works in the Corrado & mk2 too. This will be the first part I yank from my polo if it ever gets totaled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine didn't have the front stud so I had to drill a hole in the box and mount a bolt in there. Early Mk3 doesn't have the front corner mounting tabs, I'd imagine the B3 is the same.