A real problem, need advice

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
Hello
I have a 2014 Passat SE TDI. It has had all services at dealers. I was driving today and the oil/low pressure sensor light came on but for only a few seconds. I drove to the nearest VW dealer and they found a clogged oil filter. When we got back to the dealer there was no one to ask about the clog. The last oil analysis showed an above normal metal content. I need advice, I am older with major medical issues. Do I keep the car or trade it?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Without more information about your event, it's impossible to evaluate. How many miles on the "clogged" oil filter? Exactly how did they determine the oil filter was clogged? How many miles on the car? Has it been maintained properly with factory recommended fluid changes?
Hopefully this was a one-time occurrence.

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
All services were done on time by my local dealer. The oil and filter had approx 6000 miles of driving but the time interval was 11 months. There is 52000 miles on the car. Clogged is the term the dealership used over the phone.

Without more information about your event, it's impossible to evaluate. How many miles on the "clogged" oil filter? Exactly how did they determine the oil filter was clogged? How many miles on the car? Has it been maintained properly with factory recommended fluid changes?
Hopefully this was a one-time occurrence.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I call BS - oil filters don't clog in normal service.

At this point you have no idea why the oil pressure light came on, but you do know that the dealer is incompetent and has no qualms about blowing smoke up your ass.

Simon

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I would read closely the powertrain warranty and the dieselgate warranty extension, if your car has had the approved emissions modification. If, in fact, you have your oil filter clogging with metal from engine wear, you might need mega costly engine repairs in your future and if not covered by warranty expect to spent $$$$$$$$$$.

If you are in warranty for internal engine components, then ask VW to investigate the root cause and fix the engine or replace it.

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
I just went through my paperwork. I bought the Platinum Mechanical Failure Service contract when we bought the car...6 years 85,000 miles. 14 months left and 32,000 miles left. Coupled with the Dieselgate extended warranty, I will go to me dealer on Tuesday and see what can be done. Hoping for a new engine.

I would read closely the powertrain warranty and the dieselgate warranty extension, if your car has had the approved emissions modification. If, in fact, you have your oil filter clogging with metal from engine wear, you might need mega costly engine repairs in your future and if not covered by warranty expect to spent $$$$$$$$$$.

If you are in warranty for internal engine components, then ask VW to investigate the root cause and fix the engine or replace it.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think there's a good deal of over-reacting here. You have NO IDEA what caused the idiot light to come on. It may simply be a bad sensor. A clogged oil filter is seriously remote.

WHY on earth would you be hoping for a new engine at this point? Do you really think you'll be better off with a complete and total disruption to your engine bay, when in fact, you have no idea what the problem is?

I would NOT RETURN to the dealer that told you "clogged oil filter". This diagnosis is simply preposterous, considering the millions of miles logged on these engines w/o filter clogging. I think we'd know about it here!!!

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
I was going to worst case. I will go to my dealer on Tuesday and ask them to investigate. We will see what happens from there. THANK YOU for you advice

I think there's a good deal of over-reacting here. You have NO IDEA what caused the idiot light to come on. It may simply be a bad sensor. A clogged oil filter is seriously remote.

WHY on earth would you be hoping for a new engine at this point? Do you really think you'll be better off with a complete and total disruption to your engine bay, when in fact, you have no idea what the problem is?

I would NOT RETURN to the dealer that told you "clogged oil filter". This diagnosis is simply preposterous, considering the millions of miles logged on these engines w/o filter clogging. I think we'd know about it here!!!

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
Just spoke to my service guy at dealership. He said to bring the car in and he will find the cause. I have been dealing with him for over 4 years and he knows I don't have silly complaints. Again Thank You

You're welcome. I hope for your sake the solution is simple. Good luck.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I always recommend working past the service adviser, and talking directly with the tech. If the dealership won't let you do that, ask to speak with the Service Director.
This has always worked for me. It establishes that I'm serious about a solution, and about maintaining a relationship with the service department.

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
Well it turns out that there is an electrical fault somewhere. Engine is fine. I always go in with the attitude that I need their help, but I am very willing to go up the chain of command if need be.

I always recommend working past the service adviser, and talking directly with the tech. If the dealership won't let you do that, ask to speak with the Service Director.
This has always worked for me. It establishes that I'm serious about a solution, and about maintaining a relationship with the service department.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
"...electrical fault somewhere..." This may be a long shot, but...how old is the battery? A weak battery can cause all sorts of electrical anomalies, although I've never heard/read about one like you're experiencing.
Hopefully there is a simple fix!
(I'm 64. I'm a rather kind person [my opinion, of course!] but I don't even wait to go up the "chain of command". I start there!!!!)

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
If that's the original battery, I'd be surprised it lasted that long in AZ. I have to replace mine every other year now on any car I don't drive frequently.

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
The battery was changed last year. The service guy Bob called today a bad oil sensor and part being overnighted. I have a 2018 Passat gas burner as a loaner....no way I am ever going back to a gas burner, my wife agrees!

If that's the original battery, I'd be surprised it lasted that long in AZ. I have to replace mine every other year now on any car I don't drive frequently.

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
Well the saga continues. They found a intermittent short between the oil idiot light and the computer after they had the car for 2 weeks. We had the car home for about 4 days. One of our pups had to go to the emergency vet in the middle of the night this past Saturday. Headlight high/low switch inoperable. Took the car back to dealer today. They are working to clear the electrical problem but found that the motor mounts were bad! They called the extended warranty people and they will be down to inspect the car. No problem, we put 51,000 miles on in 5 years, no wrecks or strange alterations. So far, out of pocket $50.00.

My only gripe since this all started is that when we went to a different dealer at the start. They did not have computer access to my cars service/repair history. They had to call our regular dealer to check service records.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
my 2013 always had a 200ppm aluminum report from Blackstone, really freaked them out but I never ever had a problem and the old oil filters looked perfect when I pulled them out after 10k