Replaced outer cv joint now axle spins, possible inner stub popped out?

Giberish33

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDi 1z
I replaced the outer cv joint on my 1997 Jetta tdi last night, everything went ok, this morning when trying to leave there was some crunching and poping then no forward movement at all. I went under the car and shook the axle and it feels very loose / wobbly at the inner cv.

I think I might have popped the inner cv out of the transmission when hammering the outer off the shaft. Is it possible to just use a hammer to smack the inner cv stub back into the transmission? Or does the entire axle need to come out now to make sure the inner race is in place and everything like that.

Thanks for any input.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
When fully assembled, the axle (should) be fully seated. Had a few instances where the axle was not seated into the snap ring and it was nearly impossible to assemble the lower control arm to the hub.
What it sounds to me is that you dropped one or more balls from the inner joint.
Rearguardless of what happened, Yes, i would strongly advise you to remove the entire axle and inspect the condition of the inner CV and the transaxle's receiving end for the axle shaft. Its hard to tell whats going on as to why. Besides you would have to remove it to service the inner properly.
What part did you get and where did you get it from. Possible that its not the correct shaft. It would not be the first time that a CV axle was not properly assembled from autocrap store manufacturers.

Giberish33

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDi 1z
When fully assembled, the axle (should) be fully seated. Had a few instances where the axle was not seated into the snap ring and it was nearly impossible to assemble the lower control arm to the hub.
What it sounds to me is that you dropped one or more balls from the inner joint.
Rearguardless of what happened, Yes, i would strongly advise you to remove the entire axle and inspect the condition of the inner CV and the transaxle's receiving end for the axle shaft. Its hard to tell whats going on as to why. Besides you would have to remove it to service the inner properly.
What part did you get and where did you get it from. Possible that its not the correct shaft. It would not be the first time that a CV axle was not properly assembled from autocrap store manufacturers.
Got it from Autopartsway.ca its a GKN outer joint not and entire axle shaft (its still all oem just replaced the outer on drivers side). All seemed to be well with the outer, it wasn't seated on the axle end all the way the first time and i realised when I pulled on it and slipped right off. Second time I hit it with a hammer and I checked to make sure it was all the way upagainst the concave washer and thrust ring, yanked on it a few times to make sure it was fully seated. When re-assembling I noticed the inner had a bit more play than when I started the job like in/out towards me (towards outside of the car and in towards the trans) I didn't really think much of it.

I thought it was not really possible to remove one of the ball bearings without pushing the race as far as possible to one side and pulling the ball out. I didn't see any balls drop out from the inner (boot is torn so I was able to see in) unless its possible for it to fall inward . I also didn't have much issue putting the outer end back into the hub when i was done so if the inner popped out of the transmission it couldn't have been all the way only a little. I saw other videos online where people are able to turn the axle to line up the splines and tap it back into the trans.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
so a question?? you did this cv work with the axle still on the car?? a no-no. you probably pulled the inner joint past the circlip when you hammered the outer joint off.
and to say your inner boot is torn, better to come off as soon as you find that out. boots and kits arent exactly cheap, and its time consuming.
another thing a whole axle isnt that expensive. (unless you demand oem).

Giberish33

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDi 1z
so a question?? you did this cv work with the axle still on the car?? a no-no. you probably pulled the inner joint past the circlip when you hammered the outer joint off.
and to say your inner boot is torn, better to come off as soon as you find that out. boots and kits arent exactly cheap, and its time consuming.
another thing a whole axle isnt that expensive. (unless you demand oem).
Yeah I worked on it with the axle attached to the car, it does seem that I pulled it past the clip on the inner joint. I know that the inner needs to be changed I never intended to just do half ass job but its way to cold where I live and don't have access to a garage or somewhere not outside, I planned on changing it in the spring / summer. I read a bunch of threads about autozone /napa axles and it seems kinda hit or miss, oem is about 400 (rockauto) without shipping /tax I was able to get gkn joint for 130 free shipping so my plan is to rebuilt the oem axles with new inner / outers for cheaper than buying full oem assembly or having to deal with aftermarket ones that crap out too soon.

Hypothetically if the inner is past the circlip, is it possible to just hammer it back into the trans? Like the same way you would hit the outer cv joint race to get it off the axle?

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
theres almost no way you can get the cv back over the circlip with it on the car, and with everything in its right place---even more NOT likely. sorry to say.
i know your situation may be, and sounds, rough.
but your best bet is to choose some weather you can stand, or just do it. i mean, you loosen the outer, the inner takes some time, but with the right tools, oh yea and a helper, it doesnt take long, if you know the routine.
you need a garage to disassemble the joint, clean it, put it back together and pack it.
or a new whole axle to swap in.
if you have help, jack up car,put on stand or stands, in driveway, get warm, have bundle on, wear work coat, use work gloves, and if you can have air service to use, if you can. one thing, before jacking up, loosen axle nut! gl

Giberish33

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDi 1z
theres almost no way you can get the cv back over the circlip with it on the car, and with everything in its right place---even more NOT likely. sorry to say.
i know your situation may be, and sounds, rough.
but your best bet is to choose some weather you can stand, or just do it. i mean, you loosen the outer, the inner takes some time, but with the right tools, oh yea and a helper, it doesnt take long, if you know the routine.
you need a garage to disassemble the joint, clean it, put it back together and pack it.
or a new whole axle to swap in.
if you have help, jack up car,put on stand or stands, in driveway, get warm, have bundle on, wear work coat, use work gloves, and if you can have air service to use, if you can. one thing, before jacking up, loosen axle nut! gl
Just a question to understand how the inner is built. Is it the axle spline that goes into the inner cv joint "hub" and that hub is a solid at the end. That "hub" bolts upto the transmission with the triple square screws? or does the axle spline go directly through the inner cv joint into the transmission?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Just a question to understand how the inner is built. Is it the axle spline that goes into the inner cv joint "hub" and that hub is a solid at the end. That "hub" bolts upto the transmission with the triple square screws? or does the axle spline go directly through the inner cv joint into the transmission?
The first method.

Giberish33

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDi 1z
The first method.
Ok thanks for clarifying. So given that info it should be the splines just not engaged in the hub. I'd imagine its hard to pull the splines out past the circlip at the end of the axle no? I didn't exactly go nuts but a few good smacks on the outer cv to knock it off. I'm just surprised that I was able to pull the axle shaft /splines past the circlip. I know I already asked the question but what is your experience / opinion, is it possible to line the splines up and tap the axle shaft back into the inner cv hub?

Giberish33

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDi 1z
Thanks for the help. Just in case anyone was wondering, I found out from the mechanic that the cage that holds the ball bearings of the inner cv joint broke into a few pieces while inside the joint still.

That's what the noise was as I pulled out of the driveway was the cage grenaded itself. Wish I took some pictures when I picked up the car but it was missing a few balls and the cage was in fragments