2013 tdi Bug brick brake pedal

emdog

TDI
Stock, '13 2.0 Bug, 45kmi, DSG
Tried to search, but as soon as I try to type in the search bar, it shows non-words then disappears, so...
Used with 45K, of which I put on ~3K of the 45 in 5mos.
I've had it in 6x for various things, & one fix solved a problem that they didnt have a clue as to its connection to another problem where, "You don't know what you're talking about", said the, about to get his collar snatched, momma dressed, ticket cluck. They found a cracked hose (vac?) which cured the rock hard, had to push with all I had to the point of nearly ending up in the trunk before it would trigger the NSS. Which, strangely enough, cured the no fwd/the left was the only wheel that turned/flung mud as I got stuck coming up my rear driveway. Funny that the loaner Jetta did exactly as expected; it switched wheels as the left broke traction, & evenly flung mud down both sides. So, when I brought the Bug home, I drove it up the rear driveway/even mud flinging/took pics both times.
A few weeks pass, minimal driving bec I'm on med leave, temps drop from 40s-30s, & the brick brake pedal gets worse, to the point of pushing with all I have with my right leg, then a little extra with my left. Hmmm...

So, I take it back in on Sat with the same complaint, loaner Mazda SUV/normal brake pedal. I don't hear anything all week, so I go in on Fri to cluck boy's displeasure bec has been leaving car's ready msgs since Mon, so of course I ask what number he's dialing, '1028', 'Why 1028?', 'It's the number on file'. 'That's my work number' So, I hold up the tkt that he's written up, 3x, and show him the number that's on the tkt, 7506. So, he angrily, nervously tells me he's taking the other number out of the system. 'Now, it's completely out of the system, and there's nothing wrong with the brake pedal. We called VW central tech svc, and it's normal to have a variance in needed pressure when the car sits overnight, especially in cold weather, because the seals/o-rings lose pressure'! And, the svc mgr, in passing, slides into the conversation and agrees that it's normal.

Hmmm...I hold up both open hands, as in, I give up; and tell them, 'Nevermind. I'll call Corporate.' & took my paperwork & left, bec I have no need to create a scene or ask to talk to Dan, The Mgr, bec he's been nothing but nice to me & even covered my $50 deductable after cluck said my bill from the 1st brake line fix would be $357. 'What?! On a CPO +5yr extended warranty?!' If I could've reached thru the phone I'd've finger hooked a nostril, & pulled him thru the phone via satellite.

To make a short story long, I called Corp today, bec the VA Lemon Law states; If the vehicle is taken in 3x for the same problem & the problem isn't solved - new car. But of course, there may be some variance with it being used, but being that it's a CPO +5, & the +5 that I paid for was a lie on the finance officer's part; He said it was mandatory bec it was a 5yr loan, which of course kicked up my monthly, but I said that the monthly wasn't a big deal bec I'll be paying it off within 6mos; 'Ohhh, please don't do that. That's how I make my money.' Oops! Another nail in the coffin.
Prattle, prattle, prattle... I'll keep yous posted

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Will someone please re-write this in a way that is easily understandable? Is their some kind of fraud going on here, that seems to be acceptable/normal business behavior?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Wow! Narry a 1 response...
I gleaned from your post that you're extremely frustrated, but it was a tough read bordering on illegible. At first glance, it looks like word salad. If you want advice then you'll probably need to edit and reformat the post. If you just want to vent...I guess I can say I feel yah with these scummy dealers!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Your post is way hard to read.
What's wrong with the car? (be brief)

If you got the same rock hard pedal you had before, could be some more of the same system they worked on, leaky vacuum.
You might need to find a new mechanic. Check how far forum user Paramedik is from you.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?

None of your post makes any sense what so ever. And you’re not asking us anything!

emdog

TDI
At the top right of page, it says, “Welcome emdog. Last visited 1/18/19
So, guessing I was logged in, I re-wrote everything, tried to post it, it said I wasn’t logged in, logged in, lost my post ����
Tmrw

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I'll take a stab, from the title. Vacuum line going to the brake booster has come loose or is cracked or otherwise lack of vacuum.
Interweb can be frustrating magic, being the terrible typist that I am, if I have more than a couple sentences I will use a plain text editor then copy and paste.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I read it slowly and carefully with my babble filter fully engaged.

The problem appears to be a firm brake pedal after sitting for some period, requiring a very firm mash to get the brake interlock to clear, allowing the car to start. No issues when running or driving.

No mention of sitting how long, though. So, to a large extent I agree with VW on this - that vacuum will not (nor it it intended to) maintain forever . . .

The rest is just ranting about how he feels so wronged by the service advisor . . .

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Has clearly been edited, Thanks OP, bit better now.

emdog

TDI
Yes, I frequently copy/paste for safety’s sake, but trusting that it recognized me...

emdog

TDI
It’s called storytelling to some...It only takes an overnight sit for it to happen, & the svc mgr said it’s normal bec seals & o-rings can leak. My P-Stroke has sat for months, and my tractor for a yr with no problem. My ‘84 Volvo sat for 3yrs; that caused a problem

emdog

TDI
Both ends of the vac tube were cracked/leaking, was replaced, prob returned a month later, so, my 55yrs of shade tree tells me that the pump is leaking, & they’re being least expensive parts changers vs ‘factory trained’ technicians.
And now for more of the story; $1200+ for a cpo vehicle + a 5yr extended warranty of $2800, & their 1st time at bat, they misdiagnosed a front wheel bearing noise for a vibrating wiring loom/zip tie fix, the gauge cluster buzz, fixed/not fixed, AND, the driver’s side sun visor not in its clip holder. HA! 2nd time at bat, they changed what they thought was the problem, the left wheel bearing, test drive, Oops!, it was the right. Both new bearings; “So like, I got that go’in for me” HA!

emdog

TDI
So now, I’ve involved VW Corp which has taken 2wks to receive the very misleading svc tkts from the dealer, which are now being reviewed for a ‘buy back’, for which I didn’t ask, but if I go with it, there’s no guarantee that I’ll get a full refund. Well, lahdie-daa...
I’ve owned 5 older Bugs, all the way back to pre gas gauge, a vert with semaphores, & my currents, a ‘74, 2335/dual 40s, and 2 Ghias, ‘72 & ‘74
So I figged I’d give a newer one a try; Has VW gone down the drain?

Black00Jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Black 5spd
My hard brake problem (after replacing brake booster and hose from vacuum pump to booster) ended up being the vacuum pump (leaking at the nipple that the hose to booster connects to. Problem fixed.