Heavy flywheels

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
A couple of guys have used an aftermarket flywheel on their swap that is much heavier than the stock flywheel.
I used a 45lb one on my last JKU swap and was very impressed with the added bottom end torque and resistance to stalling with larger tires.
I'm looking at offering heavy flywheels for most of the applications that I offer adapters for.
Ford 4L, Jeep 4L, Jeep 3.8L, Toyota 22R, Toyota V6 and possibly others if there is interest.
Target weight is 35-45lbs, cost is not cheap on a custom flywheel but if it offsets the need to change axle gears like it did in my JK then I think the cost is justified. Probably in the $300 - $400 range depending on application.
What do you think??

Freestyle72

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI
I’d be interested in heavy flywheel for the 01e 4cyl Flywheel. 240mm diameter made hopefully so no spacer is needed.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
At 300 to 400 bucks its loads cheaper (maybe 50%) than what guys are paying to put a heavy f/w to mate a European 5 or 6 speed behind their 04/05 BHW passats.

On your chevy adapters i saw its only compatable with the 153 tooth flywheel, if it could fit the 168 tooth you would be able to reuse oem or oem aftermarket replacements which are plenty heavy enough.

Right now centerrforce is i believe one of the only companies making near 40 some odd pound billet steel1l 153 tooth internal balance flywheels.

Then there is the Toyota land cruiser. The suv designed by the almighty God himself! Up in your area of canuckastan you guys got the good factory diesels...we got the 1f 1.5f 2f and 3fe.

My fj60 gave me the diesel bug and haven't been able to shake it since.

I replaced mine with the 4bd1t, later got the 4bd2t in my fj40. The 4bt is much more popular. Guys with cash can import the turbo yotas or do an om606 swap but still $$$ compared to the ALH/bhw you can find wrecked, ugly or bad tranny for less than 1200 bucks. It also doesn't weigh near 800lbs!

So if there was an adapter that paired the tdi motors to the h42 transmission (would also fit the 2H h55) transmissions from about 1975 to 1988 when they went to an automatic i think there would be a market for the guy wanting to replace his 12 mpg 2f with a diesel

The fj40 is around 3500 lbs, fj60 around 4500

The 3b can be found stock in both models all over the world except the USA . 90hp at 3500 rpms and 160ft lbs torque at 2k

The 2H is only marginally better.

Advance adapters sells the sbc to toyota tranny adapter for 380 bucks...so once they buy yours they are still less than 1500 in adapters so im not sure it's worth your time to invest in them but i do know almost everyone on the ih8mud forum with a 40 or 60 wishes they had a diesel.

When 4x4 labs did its first om617 swap in an fj40 you would have thought it was the 2nd coming of Christ. I heard that someone put a vw v6 or 4cyl in a 40 at one time but have not seen a tdi. I also stoped researching 5 or so years ago after i completed my last swap

Last edited:

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
I would be interested in a toyota flywheel. It would be nice if it would bolt to your adapter with a 22r belhousing and allow the use of a v6 clutch.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
If his soon to be released toyota mini truck kit is anything like his other kits it reuses the factory flywheel that your engine/transmission would mount to, or flexplate for those running autos.

LC engineering has built 35lbs flywheels for the yota trucks for over a decade now at @350. The off road guys like that heavy mass for popping the clutch at idle with no stall. I'm sure that an additional 10 lbs would be even better and once word got out even the gasser yota drivers would jump on some if the clutch/pp were also in that 300-400 range as that price i gave was the flywheel alone. It essentially turns that 4runner or mini truck into a stump puller. Really good for those with dual transfercases keeping the rpms up between shifts. Although the TDI guys usually just like the smooth clutch engagement, think of the improved off road performance as icing to your oil burning cake.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Yes they would bolt on same as the stock flywheel so they fit my adapters or any stock application as well.
The 22R with the V6 clutch pattern sounds like a good combination.
I do have to stress that adapters go by what the gas engine was, that the TDI is replacing. Asking if I have an adapter for a certain trans does me no good since I need to know what engine was in front of it. The bellhousing bolt pattern and flywheel pattern is what is important.
Take the AX15 used in many makes and models of vehicles. To ask if I make an adapter for the AX15 is pointless. To ask if I make an adapter for a Jeep 4L (that happened to have an AX15 behind it) is what I need to know.
I'm only starting to go down the flywheel path so it could take a while and those that waited for the Toyota 22R adapter know how long that path can be.
This is only my hobby so I do what I can when I can, family first. :)

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
BTW, I have shipped a couple of the Toyota 22R kits so they are available.
I just have not had time to add them to the web site. I'm a terrible marketer. ;>)

Freestyle72

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI
A heavy flywheel with the VW 4 cycle bolt pattern 240mm same as the stock V6 b5 A4s would be sweet. You could use all 01a and 01e trannies and just use a normal V6 clutch, or maybe even an S4 clutch? Would uncomplicate the BHW/ALH swap into b5 chassis or the manual conv region on the b5.5 passats. Anyways. If you want to make one. I’ll buy one. I’ll even put in a deposit if you like.

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I have this one that I plan to use on my bhw going into my 2003 blazer. It's supposed to weigh 40 lbs which I think should be heavy enough.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Hays/490/10-140/10002/-1

If using the kit from gas to diesel youll need the 153 tooth flywheel, not the 168 shown in the link. I believe there is also a centerforce zero balance aka internal balance 153 tooth flywheel.

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
Not using a kit. Plan to make my own adapters, both block to bellhousing and crank snout to flywheel. Stock blazer flywheel is a 168 tooth external balance so the bellhousing should clear the 168 tooth hayes unit no problem.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Not using a kit. Plan to make my own adapters, both block to bellhousing and crank snout to flywheel. Stock blazer flywheel is a 168 tooth external balance so the bellhousing should clear the 168 tooth hayes unit no problem.

Then yes it would work, plenty of weight. Will be smooth and if going in an off road vehicle the heavier the better. Just make sure its zero balance. You dont wany more weight on one side of the flyweel than the others. The link to the one you posted states internal balance which is what you want.