1 Year after buyback VWoA claims they didn't get my title

builtospill

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
So a year later after my completed buyback for my TDI I received a letter FedEx'ed to me this past Friday (2/8/18) saying that they never got my title from me during the buyback appointment. I did indeed return the title on the day of my buyback appointment, otherwise I would never have received the restitution money!! Anyone have this happen to them??
I called the TDI 800 number and the person I spoke to told me to ignore it but keep the business reply envelope just in case. The lady then asked if I was will to send them a new one? I told them I could if they reimbursed me the $25 Connecticut DMV charges to have a title reprinted.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Well, they're pretty clearly not stating that you didn't give them the title. They are simply asking you to confirm at the end of the letter that you did. Some office functionary probably misplaced it. Your money's in the bank, not your problem now anyway.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Simple.......just check the box next to I turned my title in when I returned my vehicle in the FedX prepaid envelope and forget about it. Or do nothing. I don't see any crisis here.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Simple.......just check the box next to I turned my title in when I returned my vehicle in the FedX prepaid envelope and forget about it. Or do nothing. I don't see any crisis here.
Agree 100%

The letter even has an option to tell them that you DID send it in to them. They will probably use this letter to get a new title "lost" title and thats it.

builtospill

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
No it was a clean title with no lien. I just assume since I signed power of attorney to them they can dig up their own title

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
What does "Power of Attorney" have to do with it? This was not your car? As I said before just check the box and send it back. Why are you asking these questions here? Is there something shady going on and you are looking for legal advice here?

Last edited:

builtospill

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Just posted it because its funny they lost the title to my car. Just wanted to see what folks thought of receiving this a year later. Chill out "MichaelB"!! Is this not a forum to discuss and chat about TDI buyback topics??

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Well, let's hope you didn't spend the money yet.

Alternatively you could also put a check mark in that first box, and send the letter back, but it doesn't sound like that's your style...

opsx

TDI
tdi
i for one appreciate this post to see all the potential pitfalls of the buyback process. this way if i ever get one of these i'll be ready to check that box and mail it back before they can say "monkey cartoons!"

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
Would relish the opportunity to tell them to pound sand. Probably the only time their incompetence has ever hurt them rather than the plaintiffs.

N4TECguy

Veteran Member
TDI
NMS Passat TDI 6MT
Just wanted to post that I got the same letter, and I know I provided them a clean, no lienholder CA title. Money was already spent on another VW product that they can gladly take back, if they have any disputes about who owns what and what paperwork I gave them.

mirtdi

TDI
10 Jetta
help

Do us all a favor and ignore the letter, they knowingly caused this issue to begin with, still are not doing all to complete turn ins, and now are incompetent that they lost the title and want your help, not your problem any longer.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Folks should lighten up a bit. VW bought back nearly 300,000 TDIs. Misplacing a title or two isn't the least bit surprising. The other day we were talking about how (or if) they've been keeping track of keys. Even with the best systems at dealers they get lost.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
I'd resend the buyback letter offer to them and ask if they'd still like to buyback your car.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'd resend the buyback letter offer to them and ask if they'd still like to buyback your car.

people have been doing that with buyback '15 in hopes of getting that remainder 1/3 payment. VW still hasn't sifted through the paper work to deny the calim.

ScooterBug

I just received a similar letter from VW, however my letter states that they did not receive the odometer and title records from our closing appointment on 12/20/2016. No check box question was present in my package on if I did in fact turn these records over (which I did). What I find irritating is VW's presumption that the lost records are my responsibility and that I am obligated to provide them powers of attorney, sign off on a odometer figure and confess to a lost title.

I plan on responding to VW that such records were provided to their agent and replacement of those records are their responsibility. In addition I will be sending a copy of the VW correspondence to my Motor Vehicle Department and VW can take it up with them.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
^if they can't find the title, then they don't own the car! ;)

Report it stolen - that would be funny to some of us (with a sense of humor)

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
^if they can't find the title, then they don't own the car! ;)

Report it stolen - that would be funny to some of us (with a sense of humor)
It would be interesting to see how far someone's sense of humor would go when charged with filing a false police report.
Then there's the more general question of who's in more of a position to cause trouble for who. I can see some schmo about halfway up the VW admin ladder in all this taking exception to all of it, and making the whole thing their hobby for a month or two.
Personally, after reviewing this thread, I don't see any problem with just letting it drop. There is no need to do anything, therefore do nothing.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I just received a similar letter from VW, however my letter states that they did not receive the odometer and title records from our closing appointment on 12/20/2016. No check box question was present in my package on if I did in fact turn these records over (which I did). What I find irritating is VW's presumption that the lost records are my responsibility and that I am obligated to provide them powers of attorney, sign off on a odometer figure and confess to a lost title.

I plan on responding to VW that such records were provided to their agent and replacement of those records are their responsibility. In addition I will be sending a copy of the VW correspondence to my Motor Vehicle Department and VW can take it up with them.
Why make it difficult on them? It doesn't matter how the title was lost, they need documents from you to prove they are the legal owners of the vehicle in their possession.

Power of attorney grants them the legal authority over the vehicle you sold to them

signing off on the odometer is simply a statement of fact

"confessing" to a lost title doesn't mean anything since this isn't a criminal proceeding and there isn't any harm to your written acknowledgement that the title is now lost so the current owner can obtain a re-issued title

In California, the request form simply states: "lost" (among other reasons) and doesn't assign "blame" to one party or the other. It could be lost by the previous owner or it could blow out the window while the buyer is driving home. The state doesn't care as it's all the same thing--a lost title. Seems to be roughly the same paperwork in MO.

If the previous owner refuses to declare to the DMV that they are/were the previous owner and relinquish ownership claim to the current owner, then the current owner has to go through a relatively stringent process in order to obtain title (court order or surety bond, for examples). You have nothing to lose by helping them demonstrate to the DMV that they own the vehicle and nothing to gain by refusing to help--other than some sense of victory derived from making their process more difficult than necessary. I understand there's value in that for some people, but come on if that's really your position both parties just want to move on so why drag it out?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Got the same thing this week. They don’t have my title, POA or ODO. However, they did not include the Title form so I just wrote on their letter that I gave it during appointment. They also included 2 envelopes, one regular and one FedEx.

What’s the big deal guys? Sign it and send it back. You already got paid, why be ******* about it?

builtospill

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
It's not a big deal, I just thought it was odd I received that notice in first place. Just wanted to see what others opinions were since this is a discussion forum for diesel buybacks

Last edited: