Emissions testing in Ontario ?

Smog

Registered Vendor
TDI
Jetta4 1999.5
What they are looking for ?

I just sold my 1995 AAZ Golf to a guy in Ottawa and I don't want him to have any problems. My car was Mufflerrectorized and the fuel pump is turned up on the fueling screw. (also the low rpm timing retard device is defeated for max economy)

all these things can be reversed to OEM settings. But, do I need to go back to 75hp settings ?

P.S. the car don't smoke except at WOT

Cosmic Green

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta wagon
You'll have no problems.
Take the car to Canadian Tire for the test, they are approved for diesel DriveClean. All that is done is a test for visible smoke at various engine speeds, not WOT. Unless you have a bad injector, or smoke at part load, it'll pass.

ALCO

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 A3 Jetta, silver/2005 B5 Passat, silver
In addition to the smoke idle test, there is also a visual inspection. They look for a cat and may be looking for a muffler too. I'd take it in for the test but be prepared to fork out the cash for a new muffler.

See previous discussion for quote from Driveclean.

Smog

Registered Vendor
TDI
Jetta4 1999.5
the cat is still under the car, but the muffler and the resonator are in the trunk !!!

well, muffler and resonator aren't emission devices.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
To some extent, it depends on the discretion of the person performing the test. Because of the qualitative nature of a "visual" opacity test, one person's threshold is different from another's.

As for whether the lack of a muffler will yield any problems, again, that depends. The scope of the e-test is clear in that the two components are to perform the opacity test, and to check that all emission control devices are intact. Is the muffler an emission control device? To me, no, it's a sound attenuation device. But what does it matter what I think? Maybe some investigation in the Ontario DriveClean website might be in order, and maybe also inquiring in passing some shops that perform e-tests before making the visit.

I had my inspection done last year by the same individual and shop that a few months earlier had replaced my exhaust system from the catalyst back with a custom-bent 2.5" tube exhaust system without any mufflers. Passed with flying colours.

It helps to be chummy with people who do any service for you, and that counts for a lot more than just getting your car fixed.