Tricks to remove oil pan?

Bzillins8806

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5sp wagon
I have every bolt removed (including the 4 on the transmission side) and I can not for the life of me even get a screwdriver pried in between the pan and block. Does anyone have any advice to get this silicone unstuck?

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
I usually use a large prybar between the trans bellhousing and the oil pan, making sure to pry the pan downward, and it pops right out...

-Rich

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Did you remove all three of the larger bolts that tie the engine oil pan and transmission together?

I usually just give it a wack or two with a rubber mallet. Double check on your bolts, there should be 20 little ones and 3 big ones.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Did you remove all three of the larger bolts that tie the engine oil pan and transmission together?

I usually just give it a wack or two with a rubber mallet. Double check on your bolts, there should be 20 little ones and 3 big ones.

Yup, my normal practice.....

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
Just whack it!

This method worked well for me also! :cool:

PoochiePD

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Tempest Blue Jetta
As stated, make sure you get the 3 big ones out. What I do is take a normal combination wrench and pry that way. If you look at the pan where it meets the block, you will see 4 notches. 2 in front, 2 in back. They are just kind of indents or spaces, and they don't actually seal the pan to the block, so you don't have to worry about damaging the sealing surface. I just put a combination wrench in there, normally one "fork" of the open end, and use that to pry. If you're putting pretty good pressure on it and it doesn't even start to separate, you missed a bolt somewhere.

Bzillins8806

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5sp wagon
I am counting 20 small bolts and three large ones and it does not want to budge.

This may be a reason in the future to tell people to not use Permatex black silicone sealant. The spec sheet says 430psi and that oil pan has at least 20 square inches of sealing area.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
You need to find a pry-spot where you can get some leverage, preferably in a corner. It may take alot of force to break the glue bond. A corner is best as pan will flex a little and break the bond in a small area. Then it will peel off easier in the rest of the mating surface.

Pry HARDER!!!

Bzillins8806

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5sp wagon
I sheared off a 1/4 in wide by 3/8 in deep chunk of the pan as I was hammering in a chisel to try and break it loose. Gonna borrow a heat gun next week.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Give it to your teenage son for a few weeks. Thats enough time for him to lower it to stupid low, tear off the factory skid plate, and rip the oil pan off on a speed bump....