Planning a road trip in July - need advice

Octang Frye

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta
I'm going to take my first road trip this July, driving from Denver to Las Vegas, and then through Death Valley, out to Los Angeles. And back.

Is there anything I need to do to prepare my car for the temperatures in Death Valley? I know the PD engine is very efficient and doesn't generate a lot of heat.

What other advice/tips do you have for this 2,000 mile road trip?

A quick aside; apart from numerous rattles, buzzes, bolts falling out of door hinges, ditto with bolts that hold the door skins on, I'm enjoying driving my car. I do a mixed bag of in-town driving and highway. So far, I'm getting almost 41 mpg with 8K on the car. :)

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Advice is one word .. Enjoy.

I was driving through that area some years ago with my 1976 VW Rabbit diesel. We stopped at a rest area and I was talking to one of the locals who was laughing at all the fools from out of the area. Most were nursing overheated cars. His comments were along the lines that if they just knew enough (like I did) not to try and use their A/C they would have been fine. I did not have the heart to explain that I had my A/C on all the way and it never went above normal.

I do suggest carrying some extra water and a cell phone. You never know. Also have fun.

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
I would also suggest an extra fuel filter - just in case you get a bad batch of fuel / bio. Also take a socket wrench with T25 (very common for the car) and T30 (filter cannister) bits, and 10mm socket (for the battery). (Hey, you never know!).

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Carry an extra liter of the proper oil and an extra fuel filter.... You never know when you'll need it.
Your A5 should have zero problems with a trip like this(or any trip for that matter).
EDIT, While I was typing, RD summed it up....I'd like to suggest you tint your windows if you haven't already... well worth it.EDIT

ENJOY!!

Bill

Last edited: