help? daytime lights and power door lock/alarm acting up

jayhawk

Veteran Member
I have within the last 3 weeks replaced both of my headlight bulbs(low-beam). The first dealer just brought out a bulb. The second asked what my VIN # was, he said that it made a difference where the car was made????
Now I have no Daytime Running lights?

Also my drivers side door lock is acting up. When I lock it with my remote, most of the doors lock, the horn chirps, and the red light starts flashing.......however sometimes the drivers door is still unlocked.
Also when you start driving sometimes the drivers door does no lock automatically.

Any advice would be apprecited.

It's a 2000 Golf GLS....with 41K
I have the extended warranty until 48K, not sure what that covers.

Thanks Brian

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I think your headlight thing is just a coincidence.

I had your exact door problem and wrote it up. I tried looking for it, but the Forums search function is not working well. It was on a 99 Jetta and a terminal connection's solder joint had broken on a circuit board within the power door lock. I resoldered it at no cost, except time. I now know how to take apart a door. At least I used to. Somebody said the dealer quoted him $400 to replace a lock.

Of course, your problem could be different.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
The DRLs are turned on by a switch in the center console under the parking brake. It may be broken or just need adjusting. Also, there are fuses and a relay to check...

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
If the "Brake" light on the instrument cluster lights up when the parking brake is applied, it is not the switch in the console.

If you have no low beams when operated by the headlight switch, check fuses 20 and 21.

If you do have low beams but no DRL, then it is most likely the relay marked "173" in the relay panel in the instrument panel (where the infamous relay 109 also lives and dies).

There is nothing special about the bulbs either (assuming stock lights). They're H7 bulbs. Another forum member had a series of problems with the low beams and found that the connectors at the bulbs were not connecting firm enough.