Post your Dyno Results Here

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
I bet they were. They don't expect that from a 1.9L. And I bet you're pretty disappointed when you drive a car with 'normal' torque: I always wonder where the power went.
Yeah its pretty sweet. Even in the chipped Passat, the power difference is large.

And man-o-man are my brakes better in the TDI :cool:

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Here is the plot:

Gunna round up to 186 whp, 335 ft-lbs :D
Hmm, thought this was a thread about the dynos run at TDI Fest?:confused:

Seriously, that looks like a strong car with a nice curve but does not compare to the results in Lexington last Saturday in any way. Comparing your mods (listed in your sig) to mine: I have more turbo, more injector, more cam and some head work. I don't think you would have spun 186WHP on that dyno!

...While 185 is a great pull, at the show you would probably have seen 150-160...
Thats why I put the 1.8T Passat wagon on the roller, they are usually very consistant. I drove the car the night before, and no doubt it is 200hp range. It spun 144hp. It was an automatic so this can cause some additional losses too. oem=170hp

Heartbreak Dyno!...
...74vwsb works at Fast Enough and that dyno. I have seen cars run on it for years and it produce low numbers.

Last edited:

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Well my dyno was on the same weekend! And both were eddy-current type dynos, so its not like I did 186 whp a Dynojet (inertia-based dyno). On a DJ that would be like 208 whp.

True its a *not* direct comparison, but the dyno's should be within a small percentage of each other. Haters gon' hate :D

Last edited:

red golf tdi

TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
Keep in mind the TDI manual transmissions have a double overdrive, meaning 4th gear is not 1 to 1, perhaps throwing off the equipment.

Also, if they are calculating the torque tire diameter is not published diameter, but actual diameter with weight on the car.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Keep in mind the TDI manual transmissions have a double overdrive, meaning 4th gear is not 1 to 1, perhaps throwing off the equipment.

Also, if they are calculating the torque tire diameter is not published diameter, but actual diameter with weight on the car.
4th is 0.98:1. (for the 5-speeds)

A5INKY

TDI
Well my dyno was on the same weekend! And both were eddy-current type dynos, so its not like I did 186 whp a Dynojet (inertia-based dyno). On a DJ that would be like 208 whp.

True its a *not* direct comparison, but the dyno's should be within a small percentage of each other. Haters gon' hate :D
Yeah, and dreamers gon' dream...:rolleyes:

No wonder dyno results become so contentious. Only way to get reasonable correlation is to run the same dyno on the same day. We did that at TDI Fest, and you were not there. Your effort to try and create some kind of correlation with the result from that day to boost your ego is a little sad.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Yeah, and dreamers gon' dream...:rolleyes:

No wonder dyno results become so contentious. Only way to get reasonable correlation is to run the same dyno on the same day. We did that at TDI Fest, and you were not there. Your effort to try and create some kind of correlation with the result from that day to boost your ego is a little sad.
Give me a break bro. Just having some fun here. Show me some track times and we can compare there :cool:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think Chris's dyno provides a helpful comparison. I don't know if it was the operator, the weather, correction, or something else, but I've seen a lot of TDI dynos and these are universally low enough to really not be useful, IMHO. I agree with A5INKY that dynos are most useful as back-to-back comparisons, but the numbers I saw from the Fest were way, way off. Someone should figure out why.

A5INKY

TDI
Give me a break bro. Just having some fun here. Show me some track times and we can compare there :cool:
No worries here. I just raced my first autocross today, awesome fun. Biggest problem was trying to stay hooked up, my car will break traction in 3rd gear even with a Wavetrack and pretty gummy tires!

Honestly 178/285 at that dyno was pretty disappointing, but it is what it is. It was enough to take the trophy for "Highest Horsepower" that day. Not a number to brag with here though, so I won't. I am thinking I would be well north of 200HP on most other dynos.

I have not had it to a 1/4 mile track yet but am interested in finding an opportunity. Will not hesitate to post when I do.

You have a lighter car, but I would line up with you anytime.:D

It really is a nice curve you posted.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
No worries here. I just raced my first autocross today, awesome fun. Biggest problem was trying to stay hooked up, my car will break traction in 3rd gear even with a Wavetrack and pretty gummy tires!

Honestly 178/285 at that dyno was pretty disappointing, but it is what it is. It was enough to take the trophy for "Highest Horsepower" that day. Not a number to brag with here though, so I won't. I am thinking I would be well north of 200HP on most other dynos.

I have not had it to a 1/4 mile track yet but am interested in finding an opportunity. Will not hesitate to post when I do.

You have a lighter car, but I would line up with you anytime.:D

It really is a nice curve you posted.
AutoX in a TDI would be a lot of fun! I am waiting till I get my suspension all finished before I try it.

There is no doubt that your car should make more power than mine A5, none at all. I was pretty happy with my little 17/22 results and just wanted to share. :cool:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I found autocrossing frustrating, although I only did it a few times. Lots of courses require a 1-2 shift in the TDI where other cars don't have to, which hurts times. Getting hooked up is a challenge as others have mentioned. But what I didn't like was standing around for 8 hours for about 4 minutes of drive time. Track days are a lot more fun, IMO.

A5INKY

TDI
I found autocrossing frustrating, although I only did it a few times. Lots of courses require a 1-2 shift in the TDI where other cars don't have to, which hurts times. Getting hooked up is a challenge as others have mentioned. But what I didn't like was standing around for 8 hours for about 4 minutes of drive time. Track days are a lot more fun, IMO.
I got out of 1st right off the line and drove the entire course in 2nd. It was revved out in the wider sweepers but no room for 3rd. The longest straight was into the finish and 2nd was really spinning. I actually grabbed 3rd on my last lap and had my best time of the day. What I really needed was a 2.25 gear:p. Also have to say that my laps got faster as I learned to stay off the go pedal enough to allow the tires to grip, otherwise it was full drifting from corner to corner.

I will have to find a track to play at, more seat time than autoX would be good.

D-cappz

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH, 6 speed, 4motion, fully loaded, leather heated interior, sunroof, steering wheel controls. Over 420,000km
03 Jetta TDI 6 speed 4motion swapped.

I now have been running an S7 from Kerma for about 3 years now. I have had it on a few different dynos. Max for the S7 is 160-170whp and just over 300 ft-lbs steady.
I have now have fully built the engine with H-beams and more, I have also converted to 4motion. I will be going into the dyno to see the drive Terrain loss in 50/50.

Dyno video, 181whp & 325 ft-lbs.
https://youtu.be/yzrzOYfGS1A

KermaTDI vs Malone tuning @ Malone tuning
https://youtu.be/kCdbAtp1tYs

KermaTDI vs Malone and baseline for FWD
https://youtu.be/hQA365sZVu8

I have also done a write up of the differences I found between Malone and Kerma tuning. You can also see performance chart and dynos of the S7 vs a VNT17.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=489446

Next up will be the dyno in AWD to see the loss, than a larger turbo =)

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
On a chassis dyno run I don't think its physically possible for HP figures to read incorrectly because of gearing differences. HP is drum mph vs time. Period. The drum diameter or weight never changes... The physics of it is just plain drum accel vs time.

Torque is the one where there are a dozen ways to screw up the figures. If gearing is off the torque curve will be totally wrong.

Incorrect correction on weather or incorrect dyno friction loss correction... of course with that it is possible to screw up HP figures. Just place the ambient air temp probe on top of a hot engine to make for a good hp curve and a giddy customer.

I think Chris's dyno provides a helpful comparison. I don't know if it was the operator, the weather, correction, or something else, but I've seen a lot of TDI dynos and these are universally low enough to really not be useful, IMHO. I agree with A5INKY that dynos are most useful as back-to-back comparisons, but the numbers I saw from the Fest were way, way off. Someone should figure out why.