Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

pugman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SW, 2003, Reflex Silver
Just had my most expensive fill-up ever! Paid $52.40 for 13.7gal of diesel ($3.809 per gal), I have seen several stations in the area over $4 gal.

Da~da~da

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6
pugman said:
Just had my most expensive fill-up ever! Paid $52.40 for 13.7gal of diesel ($3.809 per gal), I have seen several stations in the area over $4 gal.
Ahhhh, the good ole days of $3.809 pg just kidding. :cool:

TerryTDI

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
When I bought my first Jetta TDI in 1997 diesel fuel prices were well under gas prices. Now it is about 70 cents over gas here, near Milwaukee, at about $4.05. I want an electric car. Not diesel, not hybrid. A true electric car like the Tesla Roadster, but not at $98,000 :)

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
ARCO station on Miramar Road at I 15. Just a couple of miles from home. There are several stations on Poway Road or Scripps Poway Parkway that are a couple of cents cheaper at times.

To me the interesting thing is the 5 10 or 15 cent jump in price at any given time. Gas prices jump more frequently, but in smaller amounts.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
For what ever it is worth.

Last year, the diesel price was stuck at $2.999 a gallon, while RUG went to new heights.

So I spent a bunch of money to buy my 96 B4V, just to get out of the gasoline market. Well, now I am looking at my Honda Trail 90 to comute to work and thinking hard about buying a smart diesel in Canada to bring home.

Sheesh, my better half drives a 2003 Camry that gets 26 mpg on her comute to San Diego State. My Passat gets about 38 mpg. My SUV tow vehicle for the trailer gets 14+ mpg when towing the trailer, 18 mpg when not towing. The pickup gas consumption doesn't really matter because it does not get driven much more than 3K miles per year.

Still, fuel prices are not forcing me to change shopping habits. But they are starting to be a concern to me.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
john.jackson9213 said:
For what ever it is worth.

Last year, the diesel price was stuck at $2.999 a gallon, while RUG went to new heights.

So I spent a bunch of money to buy my 96 B4V, just to get out of the gasoline market. Well, now I am looking at my Honda Trail 90 to comute to work and thinking hard about buying a smart diesel in Canada to bring home.

Sheesh, my better half drives a 2003 Camry that gets 26 mpg on her comute to San Diego State. My Passat gets about 38 mpg. My SUV tow vehicle for the trailer gets 14+ mpg when towing the trailer, 18 mpg when not towing. The pickup gas consumption doesn't really matter because it does not get driven much more than 3K miles per year.

Still, fuel prices are not forcing me to change shopping habits. But they are starting to be a concern to me.
At 38 mpg, you are still only paying about 10.5 cents/mile, while your wife's Camry is costing about 14 cents/mile.

If you are in the Miramar/Mira Mesa/Scripps/Rancho Penasquitos/Poway area, you have a pretty good choice of reasonably priced stations. The USA station on Scripps-Poway is usually the cheapest for diesel -- I have no idea which stations have the cheapest gasoline.

dragonfli_x

TDI
05 Passat GLS 2L TDI
Macon, Georgia (yeah, I won't be hurt if you've never heard of it ;) )

Diesel is right around $4 give or take 7 cents. It's killin me because the savings isn't as great now - still get about 39-40mpg in the PD Passat wagon, but still aiight

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
USA still has it easy...Canadians have to pay freaking taxes up the wazooo too.

$1.34/L @ 3.8L/Gallon = $5.09/Gallon

Shoot me now!!!!

We are supposed to be heading to $1.50/L ($5.70/Gallon) in the summer.

Syndicate

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Q7 TDI Sline, 09 335d
I'll trade you a few gallons for a few trips to the doctor... Even trade :D

cleaver said:
USA still has it easy...Canadians have to pay freaking taxes up the wazooo too.

$1.34/L @ 3.8L/Gallon = $5.09/Gallon

Shoot me now!!!!

We are supposed to be heading to $1.50/L ($5.70/Gallon) in the summer.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
They were talking about rising gas prices on the local news tonight in a feed they carry (Cavuto reports, or something like that) and what caught my eye were a couple of stations where the spread between gas and diesel was only 30 cents. One was Valero, don't remember other one.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thunderstruck said:
They were talking about rising gas prices on the local news tonight in a feed they carry (Cavuto reports, or something like that) and what caught my eye were a couple of stations where the spread between gas and diesel was only 30 cents. One was Valero, don't remember other one.
Nationally, the spread is about 70 cents according to AAA, about 62 cents according to the Energy Information Agency. State by state, there are only a couple where the spread is around 50.

Crude set life-of-contract highs on Wednesday. RUG was up about 4 cents, diesel up about 12. So I'm guessing the next move will be a widening of the spread, with both gas and diesel going up but diesel going up faster.

I don't see anything that that turn this situation around. With gasoline so cheap compared to crude oil, refiners have zero incentive to process any crude at all. Even with gasoline stocks down five weeks in a row, there is still more than than last year and more than the the five-year average. Refiners make money selling diesel and other distillates, but what are they going to do with all the gasoline?

This is turning into a long-term problem, not something that can be turned around in a few weeks. The only good news is that the high price of diesel is going to strongly motivate oil companies to convert their refineries to get more diesel and less gasoline out of each barrel of crude. This will take a couple years, but it has to be done.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
The oversupply of gasoline will also allow refiners to schedule maintenance turnarounds without too much hassle or cost pressure. My neighbor works for a refinery maintenance company and they are lining up some big valve changeouts. They told the employees to not plan on taking a lot of vacation this summer.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
That's the real problem-there's a surplus of gas, so they cut production at the refineries which means less diesel. I'm sure they wish they could flick a switch and go 100% diesel right now. There's no market for excess gas-Europe doesn't want it. According a report I read last week, diesel from Europe has too much sulfur to pass our standards so they can't ship it here.
Our spread here in Chicago is around 70 cents, which is why the video surprised me. The gas price was 3.59, diesel 3.79 so it's not like it's old footage. I wish I lived wherever they shot it. $4.39 D2 here a few days ago by my house.

Audi5jim

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 2 door Golf TDI
$4.17 per gal of ULSD at a CITCO on rt 73 in Cherry Hill, NJ this morning. On the Atlantic City Expressway rest stop sign, D2 (Sunoco) was $3.93. I might just top off on the way home...

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Thunderstruck said:
That's the real problem-there's a surplus of gas, so they cut production at the refineries which means less diesel. I'm sure they wish they could flick a switch and go 100% diesel right now. There's no market for excess gas-Europe doesn't want it. According a report I read last week, diesel from Europe has too much sulfur to pass our standards so they can't ship it here.
This about tells it all , our stupid overregulation of diesel beyond the EUs 50 PPM standard has created this problem . The price of D2 would drop $0.50 over night if we adopted the EUs 50 PPM standard . Everything that is currently happening was 100 % predictable asa the price rises .

We should drop the ULSD standard to 50 PPM until Europe adopts the 10 PPM standard no earlier than 2010 .

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Holy carp, almost 4.50 a gallon? It's getting insane enough for the first time in 12 years I'm actually considering cancelling my trip back to Cinti for fireworks on Labor Day. Prices actually are up here by 20 cents a gallon today versus last Saturday.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Saturday morning the ARCO at Miramar and I-15 jumped another 8 chets to 4.27 Was out in Poway this morning, the best price was 4.29. Did not check the USA station on Scripps Poway Parkway.

The good news is that I am just short of 600 miles so far on this tank and the gauge still is above 12 gal mark. This is the first tank after doing a Ventectomy. Have a B4V.

John Jackson

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
"Holy carp, almost 4.50 a gallon?" Yeah, I know....Tell me about it. I fully will not be surprised if it hits $5 a gallon by Labor Day. If it does, I may seriously have to consider working from home. I really don't know how the economy is going to take much more of this!

bartmax

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 2002 Jetta wagon
first falling, now rising price

I thought diesel would continue falling in price as demand for heating oil dropped
it was down to $3.99 last week
this morning it's up to $4.15 at the cheapest station I drive by in Taunton,MA
any predictions?

RobbieTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 GOLF TDI 5sp, '01 Jetta TDI 5sp, '05.5 Jetta TDI DSG
yeah they (oil companies) know whats up. they arent letting it happen this year.

price had dropped last week to $3.95 at the cheapest station in Socal, this week its up in the $4.25 range. and there is no explanation.

tdipdphd

TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 2004 Reflex Silver
depending on where you are in the dc metro area, anywhere from 3.93 to about 4.29.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Filled @ $4.26 last night. $3.99 two weeks ago... Spread was over a buck with RUG at 3.19.

I'm still smiling tho... Bring on $4 RUG baby.... (evil snicker)